Mode switching for missions and Smeaton Orbital [200mill/hour]

So - despite the fact that I have now been able to actually experience a large part of the game thanks due in part to these passenger missions, and quince planetary runs before this - what in the hell is wrong with giving a steady income to your players. What is so horrible that you, FDev, seek to destroy any and all means of consistent income that allows us to actually ENJOY your game. I tried out ships I never would have purchased, and experienced things I otherwise would have deemed a waste of time.

You're sowing the seeds of discontent here, and it doesn't make sense to me.

LOL! Really?

Elite was supposed to be about making hard choices, not having money shoved up every orifice. With credit inflation those choices are now meaningless, and these board flip exploits simply make it worse (as well as messing up the BGS).

If you want consistent income, you trade for it. If you want an expensive ship you save for it.

So basically you want arcade shooter? What you are doing in ED?

How pretentious can ya get, well I guess you could go around telling everyone you use Linux all the time like.. oh wait.
So which distro do you like eliteboy, and please don't tell me Ubuntu because if it's anything less than Gentoo you're clearly not spending enough time building and maintaining the thing up from a stage 2 tar ball, it just wouldn't be befitting of someone on a horse as high as thee.

This is why I dislike the Elite community, these replies are so arrogant.

I welcome anyone who wants to play ED, for all it's flaws and strenghts.

I am not arrogant - I am disappointed that you are trying to force ED become something else it is not. Fine, treat it like arcade shooter...but don't complain about outcome.

Easy fix for the money problem, remove the credit cost from ships. Give players more freedom in form of a player driven economy. Add blueprints for all ships in the game so players can craft the ships at stations for getting the required materials in form of ores, commodities and materials, so even players with not much time can make a steady progress toward their desired ship without the need of the boring credit grind.

How pretentious can ya get, well I guess you could go around telling everyone you use Linux all the time like.. oh wait.
So which distro do you like eliteboy, and please don't tell me Ubuntu because if it's anything less than Gentoo you're clearly not spending enough time building and maintaining the thing up from a stage 2 tar ball, it just wouldn't be befitting of someone on a horse as high as thee.

Nice personal attack there :)

But seriously ED is not arcade shooter. Get some and have consequences free fun. Why hang around here being disappointed all the time when some money exploit gets plugged?

This is why I dislike the Elite community, these replies are so arrogant.

Have to agree on this one.

Its a bit like Diablo or Grimdawn when you wade into a mass of "munters" to coin the pharse me and the wife use, you pop eveything the screen slows down due to the amount of carnage flying about, your left in a pool of blood with a huge smile on your face looking across at the other half going boooyahhh that was fudgeing awsome.

Does this mean I want those games to be aka a win mode, no It took me an age to get to get to where Iam, and those flying the sort of ships that can do that in a Rez might have taken about the same sort of time, if they used other means to fast track to that point who cares.

I mean really its a game how someone takes enjoyment from it unless its inflicting grief on others is off no concern to anyone but the person playing thier game, you know the one they brought with their cash to "Blaze their own trail." Why does it matter so much to anyone how I play this game or anyone else, never understood that.

People trying and failing to belittle people has become oh too comman around here now.

Hey FD Negan wants Lucille back.

Last edited:
I welcome anyone who wants to play ED, for all it's flaws and strengths.

I am not arrogant - I am disappointed that you are trying to force ED become something else it is not. Fine, treat it like arcade shooter...but don't complain about outcome.

You are acting like there is something challenging about a time sink. Playing in Open can be challenging no matter what ship or upgrades you have, but I know a lot of people don't want that type of challenge and that's fine.

What you are talking about is an imposed challenge when surely a more creative type of difficulty levelling is required.
We could disable every bodies ability to fly left, only right from now on. That would make it really hard, but it probably wouldn't be much fun. Dare I say it as I'm sure Agony will jump in and remind me the makers of these games are under no obligation to make them fun. But still I think the point is relevant.

As for "nice personal attack", thanks I thought you'd appreciate it judging from how you go around putting people down so much.

Last edited:
and this has been nerfed I take it. I am at the station now with a beluga I just bought, all pretty useless missions here!

Why is it every time a good opportunity presents itself it is always ruined when I find out about it..... :/

If Quantas can charge a hell of a lot more for flying people to Australia over 24 hours you’re basically saying they shouldn’t charge more than Ryanair who charge a hell of a lot less for flying people to Scotland in an hour.

Makes no logical sense to penalise something that pays bigger because it takes a big investment in time.

LOL! Really?

Elite was supposed to be about making hard choices, not having money shoved up every orifice. With credit inflation those choices are now meaningless, and these board flip exploits simply make it worse (as well as messing up the BGS).

If you want consistent income, you trade for it. If you want an expensive ship you save for it.

What I love about people who say. Your are messing the background sim. Is that 90% players who care about it hide in their own private groups. Hiding in your private group and exploiting the system to gain an advantage in the background sim.

Hi, I realise I'm late to the party here so I'll just add my rant at the bottom of all of these. I did see this last night but I gave it a chance to set in. Decision, what the hell? Not you Frontier, you're fine. No, I'm looking at the players that are constantly whining about how other players are playing. Yes, Upsilon allowed newbies to make billions of credits in a much shorter time span than we did, so what? It didn't give you free rank, it didn't god roll all your modules and it didn't teach you how to fly like a boss. At best it got you an A-rated Anaconda/type-10 which if either of those ships are taking you on then you need to take a hard look at your fighting ability.

Why do I bang on about combat as if it's the only thing this affects? Because it is really. Does it really matter to your playtime if other people get to trade elite or get that exploraconda to visit SagA. No, it doesn't. It only matters if they shoot me down and I'm sat looking at a hefty rebuy. Until that moment, consider my playtime uninterrupted.

Van out.

It's interesting that a bunch of people say that the players should open their minds and let the creativity flow and create their own fun and shouldn't care about nerfing that which was previously declared okay. The irony is that these very same people sure as hell are in a rush to tell other people to play it their way or the highway. We've already had countless versions of "If you don't like it, leave!" which is the most dumb and toxic thing you can hope for in a game as that is what kills a game faster than anything else. The devs not only have the goal to maintain their player base as much as possible, but for viability sake, must ensure that a constant stream of new players comes in to beat out the turnover rate and hopefully even exceed the turnover rate for a higher net gain in company profits.

One of the most surefire ways to murder a game quicker than anything is to listen solely to the top 1% elitist population who've been around for a while and are already well established. Many companies in the past who have done such have ultimately failed as they've nerfed their game into the ground trying to keep and maintain a status quo and not developing the game to meet the standards and expectations of newer generations of gamers (each year or two could be considered a relatively new generation.) Markets and games as a whole tend to evolve and adapt to the times to maintain financial viability. One of those very trends is the tendency to stray away from ridiculous grinds as a very high hurdle or gate to content. It leaves the player feeling that they have to spend an inordinate amount of time preparing for eventually playing the game as they want to. This leads to the game not really being a game anymore but a job that the sucke... errr.. player pays to take part in. When this happens, the game population takes a nosedive and the game loses its ability to draw in young blood which is needed to sustain a game and maintain a healthy enough population to keep servers running, developers developing more content, and ultimately, the game running and updated.

What I find interesting is that it's these money making adventures of tedium that actually draw a lot of players into the game. One of the biggest detractors of ED from talking with a lot of my heavy gaming friends is that ED has a money grind worse than most Chinese/Korean/Japanese MMOs. Especially as a game like ED actually relies financially not on individual software sales for the entry into the game but ED store sales for cosmetic add-ons. I know a few people who bought ED over the holidays because there was finally official word that some sanctioned route beyond the endless and insurmountable money grind had been found which made the game much more accessible. The developers need to realize that their customer's time is very important and a limited resource and that forcing their customer base to give up huge amounts of it will alienate more players than draw in.

Requiring ridiculous amounts of time isn't difficult or challenging. It's monotonous time consumption meant to cover for a rather lackluster rate of improvement and updates on the content side of things. Many players aren't stupid enough to equate time burned for difficulty anymore and demand more of a balance between time spent, and in-game currency. This whole thing wouldn't have even been an issue if the other professionis of the game with missions paid more accordingly with some sense of increase as the player's ranks increased.

The mission system itself is completely borked to begin with as there's literally no reason to take any of the big ships out without board hopping many times. A large ship like a conda or cutter or type-9 should be able to easily get missions that can completely fill its hold with little difficulty. Nothing makes as little sense to me in this game as the mission system for trading/passenger missions. IRL we have buses and planes going to other cities based on a service area of only several million able to completely fill up to mostly fill up fairly easily, yet a space station that services a population of several hundred million to even billions of people can only find 2-21 people for transport? Of hundreds of millions to billions of people you can only scrape together at most 180 tons of cargo of a specific item? Really?

The way at least hauling/PAX missions should work is that the player picks set destinations from the mission board with set cargo that pays X/ton and the player uses a slider to load up that tonnage as a mission from a daily supply of commodities/PAX like the commodities in the BGS supposedly already do. You should have hundreds of thousands of people in a high pop system looking to go to places and you just use a slider to take as many as you want from a daily supply of goods/PAX. This is much more realistic and closer to what would logically be happening in real life. This is also why economy passenger loading should make more money as it does IRL. It's a proven business model that the logistics and transportation industries have adopted for a very long time. Hell, there are real life airlines that completely got rid of first class and business class and basically turned their planes into flying human cattle cars and people flock to it in droves.

We need less busy bodies poking their noses into what others are doing with their own personal time and more players actively playing the game. It's a very noticeable thing that ED's active population and sales seem to increase when these "exploits" are found that makes the game for many players feel a bit more accessible and open and the opposite whenever FDEV shoots the nerf RPG-7 at the complained about "exploiting" housefly. What's the most disturbing is that they had to put the QA team on this to hunt down that specific line of code and get the network guys to push the change instead of using the few hours it took to actually fix many of the other bugs. I'm still pretty that I lose 20-40 minutes off of each mission I take just for hitting the accept button. Also, you probably should try to screw with a system until you actually finish the fix instead of disabling it and completely breaking the item in question entirely. They took a perceived problem and their response was to actually break it mechanically further instead of actually fixing it.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I've been lurking on the boards for a while and felt that I had to get that off my chest. Thanks if you read it, whether you agree or not. [smile]

So, why play the game now?

After 600 hours and grinding my way to Lieutenant Commander and an Anaconda, I'm done.
This game is turning into more and more of a grind.

Switching to Star Citizen.
? Player groups, social interaction, BGS, setting exploration goals, etc. It's a sandbox. You played less than half the game.

Well it looks like all you giant crying babies got your wish.
SMEATON IS DEAD.
Its been nerfed to hell.
Just spent an hour going around to all of the stations,outposts, settlements etc and even board hopped to see it i could get any proper economy passengers to smeaton. And the highest paying one i could find was 465,000 cr. I'm not doing a 40 min run for the same i can make for doing a 1 hop 200ls run.
You bunch of crying babies won. Smeaton is dead, nerfed to the stone age.
Hope your all happy

So in stead of FD fixing board hopping they just nerf the hell out of the payout thats crap.

Last edited:
SMEATON IS DEAD.
Its been nerfed to hell.
Just spent an hour going around to all of the stations,outposts, settlements etc and even board hopped to see it i could get any proper economy passengers to smeaton. And the highest paying one i could find was 465,000 cr. I'm not doing a 40 min run for the same i can make for doing a 1 hop 200ls run.
Hope your all happy

Well you know we cant have people enjoying thier gaming time ohh no that would upset people to the extent that they come to the forums and moan how others are making money, which in this case I belive took a fair chunk of time, not like the dock, take mission, fly to base, kill skimmer, flick the self descruct, rinse and repeat, oh wait....

Not that I did any but if I was going to be sitting in SC for around 40 mins for the reason off the station being so far away from the jump in, then yeah I want to get paid a fair amount for the time. But its gone now till the next thread about how somone is making more money than me outrage....

The funny thing being I was making a good 200mill for an hour or two running first class passangers around tourist sites. Not sure if they have been hit with the FD bat of nerf x10 cash - over time needed to get from a to b, might look once i get back into the game and the bubble.

Last edited:
If Quantas can charge a hell of a lot more for flying people to Australia over 24 hours you’re basically saying they shouldn’t charge more than Ryanair who charge a hell of a lot less for flying people to Scotland in an hour.

Makes no logical sense to penalise something that pays bigger because it takes a big investment in time.

Well yes and no, I agree and disagree with OP. (Although fuming that I missed out on this exploit before it got ruined)

It is a tad ridiculous for the time overall (1 hour as mentioned) 20-30M would be more reasonable for the trip, but now thanks to the attention, it has been nerfed so bad you would be lucky to make 2M for the WHOLE DAMN TRIP!!!!!

so we have gone from one complete extreme to another. I am now sitting there getting offered 200K to transport groups of 22 people. It will literally take me 10 hours to payback my selling cost for my beluga!!! I bought it specifically for the exploit!

and that's also why I am in two minds with this sort of thing. Yes it is ridiculous for that sort of money, but if people want to do it let them. avoid these areas yourself and play you own way. not come in like a wrecking ball and demolish the entire operation...its just mean, and cruel, and depressing for those individuals who had hopes and dreams on striking it rich....like yours truly :(

You just stumbled upon the noisiest minority.

FYI, Elite is not a sim.

It is not consequences free arcade button trasher neither. You are trying to mold it into something it wasn't designed for. Having rebuy screen is the point of all this. It is there to play smarter, play better...not get enough money to make consequences obsolete.

As for passenger money runs...I hope it comes back. Just not 100-200m/hour.

SMEATON IS DEAD.
Its been nerfed to hell.
Hope your all happy

brWqW.gif

Top Bottom