Patch Notes Update Update 3.0.2

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
For some reason the shortcuts CTRL-F (to display current framerate) and CTRL-B (to show current bandwidth) are not working in-game anymore.

Please bring them back with the next update, those were handy tools! O7

Thats Mining you are on about, the fix they said they fixed is Shooting 'SURFACE' rocks with Missiles? I want to know who does that and for what gain? Am i missing out on something here? can MEF spawn out of surface rocks if you shoot them with Missiles?

What was the bug before they fixed it? did the missiles not hit the rock?

For some reason the shortcuts CTRL-F (to display current framerate) and CTRL-B (to show current bandwidth) are not working in-game anymore.

It has been bug reported; so devs aware. Expecting hotfix Soon™

Trying to think of a reason for that; lol.

Plenty of argument why this had to go on the Dangerous form section. Personally i am totally against this being removed on purpose. Yes it can be used by PvP'ers, but equally it can be used by PvE'ers to warn of Players in a system. pre-warned is pre-armed!!

Plenty of argument why this had to go on the Dangerous form section. Personally i am totally against this being removed on purpose. Yes it can be used by PvP'ers, but equally it can be used by PvE'ers to warn of Players in a system. pre-warned is pre-armed!!

I don't use the bandwidth one at all; but the framerate was very helpful - would be nice if the bandwidth was expanded to include the ping.

Because fps counter overlays and bandwidth counter overlays are something that no one has ever though of developing right?

would be nice if the bandwidth was expanded to include the ping.

Ping doesn't really work here, because in a p2p system with distributed ownership of objects, the pings that matter are to every other player in the session - unless it was only you and one other Commander, it would be very hard to tell which ping will affect which entity, except in a debug mode where a colour coded label for each ping can be correlated with a colour coded bounding box drawn around each entity.

Deleted member 115407

D

One might even suggest that it is used for both by everyone who uses it!

Interestingly, they show on the main menu but once you drill any deeper they disappear.

press ctrl-f or ctrl-b anywhere, they toggle appropriately and appear/disappear on the main menu.

Ping doesn't really work here, because in a p2p system with distributed ownership of objects, the pings that matter are to every other player in the session - unless it was only you and one other Commander, it would be very hard to tell which ping will affect which entity, except in a debug mode where a colour coded label for each ping can be correlated with a colour coded bounding box drawn around each entity.

Check your network settings from the main menu. Near the bottom. :)
Frontier have servers. I'm interesting in Ping to those servers.
Incidentally, Warframe is P2P based as well; and they are quite capable of pinging the host of any match. I can immediately tell when the hosts line is struggling, and I can immediately tell when I'm in a game hosted by a local player.

Last edited:
Check your network settings from the main menu. Near the bottom. :)
Frontier have servers. I'm interesting in Ping to those servers.
Incidentally, Warframe is P2P based as well; and they are quite capable of pinging the host of any match. I can immediately tell when the hosts line is struggling, and I can immediately tell when I'm in a game hosted by a local player.

Just for the record, there's no host in P2P; it's symmetrical. From a quick googling of Warframe's forums, people don't know what P2P means there and are under the misconception that if a player's machine is hosting a match (like good old multiplayer from the last 20 years) rather than the host/server being hosted by the game publisher or 'in the cloud', then it's P2P. It's not relevant to how Elite uses P2P for moment-to-moment gameplay.

FD uses ping (presumably game client<->session server) and other indicators of session health to matchmake players into similar groups; when I said 'Ping doesn't really work here', I meant that it would be hard for you to use it in a session with more than one other player without additional debug aids. Knowing the session server ping isn't helpful as it doesn't affect moment to moment gameplay in the same way as it would in a classical client-server architecture.

Just for the record, there's no host in P2P; it's symmetrical. From a quick googling of Warframe's forums, people don't know what P2P means there and are under the misconception that if a player's machine is hosting a match (like good old multiplayer from the last 20 years) rather than the host/server being hosted by the game publisher or 'in the cloud', then it's P2P. It's not relevant to how Elite uses P2P for moment-to-moment gameplay.

FD uses ping (presumably game client<->session server) and other indicators of session health to matchmake players into similar groups; when I said 'Ping doesn't really work here', I meant that it would be hard for you to use it in a session with more than one other player without additional debug aids. Knowing the session server ping isn't helpful as it doesn't affect moment to moment gameplay in the same way as it would in a classical client-server architecture.

Some interesting info thanks. However in both Warframe and ED not only are player's PC used as hosts; but the transfer mechanism is P2P. In both games this has been well established by the developers.

In Warframe, a single machine is selected as host for a match. When that host leaves, the host is transferred (we even get a message popup saying this "host migration").
In ED, a single machine owns an instance. Players can join that instance with the instance owner's PC acting as the host. If the host leaves, the instance is transferred to another PC. If a host leaves and nobody else remains in the instance, the instance is destroyed.

Last edited:
In ED, a single machine owns an instance. Players can join that instance with the instance owner's PC acting as the host. If the host leaves, the instance is transferred to another PC. If a host leaves and nobody else remains in the instance, the instance is destroyed.

I'm afraid you are mistaken in this belief. If you watch the live stream with Dav Stott or the "from 0 to 600 million star systems" talk from AWS:Reinvent 2015, you can hear it from the horse's mouth, but to summarize:

In ED, the game server (not host) matchmakes game clients together according to game location and network topology. The game clients form a P2P network where each peer is responsible for its player's ship, munitions, and some of the other entities such as NPCs. If a peer leaves the session (due to a change of location, shutdown or accidental disconnect, the authority over those other entities (ownership or responsibility) is transferred to other peers remaining within the session. No single PC owns the session, they distribute responsibility for controlling the entities across the session. The two rules are that players' own clients always retain authority over their own ships, and the game server retains ownership over certain critical data such as station docking control; this was moved onto the server pre1.0 as the consequences of a client owning this and getting it wrong were drastic. If all peers leave the session, it ceases to exist and the game server tears down its record of the session, any new game clients entering that location are instructed to establish a new session. New sessions can also be formed if existing ones are 'full'. HTH

I'm afraid you are mistaken in this belief. If you watch the live stream with Dav Stott or the "from 0 to 600 million star systems" talk from AWS:Reinvent 2015, you can hear it from the horse's mouth, but to summarize:

In ED, the game server (not host) matchmakes game clients together according to game location and network topology. The game clients form a P2P network where each peer is responsible for its player's ship, munitions, and some of the other entities such as NPCs. If a peer leaves the session (due to a change of location, shutdown or accidental disconnect, the authority over those other entities (ownership or responsibility) is transferred to other peers remaining within the session. No single PC owns the session, they distribute responsibility for controlling the entities across the session. The two rules are that players' own clients always retain authority over their own ships, and the game server retains ownership over certain critical data such as station docking control; this was moved onto the server pre1.0 as the consequences of a client owning this and getting it wrong were drastic. If all peers leave the session, it ceases to exist and the game server tears down its record of the session, any new game clients entering that location are instructed to establish a new session. New sessions can also be formed if existing ones are 'full'. HTH

Oooh, I did not know this. Thanks! :)

Addendum: connections between clients at the network layer may be direct or via a TURN/STUN server for firewall/NAT punchthrough, but at the application layer they are 'p2p'.

• Fixed issue where Guardian Blueprints could be incorrectly obtained by scanning a codex

I am confused by this, can someone explain? I flew out to one of the sites at launch and played it pretty much nonstop until just before the patch. I scanned the data point after the pylons, and halfheartedly scanned the obelisks too. Is it the Obelisk (with the right items) that this is referring to? I didn't feel that anything was off, or felt "cheaty". I would hate to think that blueprint segments were harder to come by now...

WELL,, here I am again with a balky launcher that simply locks up when I click the UPGRADE button..
Back through the 20 step process of complete uninstall and re-install and hope that works.. Looks like the data cap will be blown through again this month.

Hey man, what helped me was under options in the launcher. Chcek Multi-threaded download. This completely fixed my lock up on pressing upgrade. Also, if you mark the next two options, Enable Cache Check and Enable Virtual Cache, you wont have to redownload the whole lot next time. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom