Best hardpoints for chieftain?

Hey, guys I have an alliance chieftain equipped with 3 small pulse lasers, a medium pulse laser and 2 engineer large multicannons. I have pulse lasers because my power plant sucks (6C) and it doesn't overheat with them. Do you have any suggestions for the hardpoints i should use? Let me know 🙂

Hey, guys I have an alliance chieftain equipped with 3 small pulse lasers, a medium pulse laser and 2 engineer large multicannons. I have pulse lasers because my power plant sucks (6C) and it doesn't overheat with them. Do you have any suggestions for the hardpoints i should use? Let me know 

Get an A-rated power distributor ASAP. Its and often overlooked component that is very important to combat. You may also want to consider dropping the medium pulse for a seeker missile launcher or another multicannon. Then put efficient engineer mod on the lasers to get more damage and less heat output.

After trying just about every weapons load out the best load out was 3 incinderary one of them corrosive MCs and 3 longrange rails. The Chief becomes a murdering machine.

Three small rails, and everything else multicannons. Think I added short-range mod to railguns, and overcharged to the multis. Works for me. :)
I'll probably try that next... I started out with two large gimballed multi cannons with a medium rail and 3 smalls, but they heat up too fast plus the timing between small and medium is weird ... I then tried 4 small rails, which is a bit better, but they still heat up fairly fast.

To elaborate on Crank Larson's suggestion...

Two large multicannons, G5 rapid fire (if you didn't have PP problems, I'd say overcharged), one with corrosive, one with incendiary. In the medium slot, an overcharged multicannon with autoloader. In the two outer small slots, a pair of feedback railguns, in the inner small slot, a super penetrator railgun (all railguns maxed G2 long range, go G5 if you like, but there's very little additional benefit imo after grade 2).

Set up all the MCs to fire together, and all the railguns to fire together. Your main damage dealers are the multicannons, keep them on your enemy as much as possible. When the enemy uses a shield cell (stripy shield animation), stop firing the MCs and fire only the railguns, as quick as you can, pump those feedback slugs into that shield to disable the regen. Repeat until shields are down. When shields are down, target enemy PP (if enemy is python or bigger), keep pressure up with the MCs, and take pot shots with your center railgun at the PP.

This ship will be potent indeed. If you are not that hot on railguns, consider changing the middle super pen (cos hitting pp with rails requires quite some aiming ability) go for yet another overcharged corrosive multicannon (no corrosive doesn't stack, but having two MCs with corrosive pretty much guarantees keeping up the debuff on the enemy). One of the nice things about this build is its low power usage and low distributor draw for massive DPS. If the enemy uses chaff, you've still got three railguns unaffected to keep taking pot shots, then resume MC fire when their chaff runs out.

Last edited:
Two large multicannons, G5 rapid fire (if you didn't have PP problems, I'd say overcharged), one with corrosive, one with incendiary. In the medium slot, an overcharged multicannon with autoloader.

Why would you like to lose half the ammo capacity of a large MC? Why don't you put the Corrosive Shell on the medium one?

Why would you like to lose half the ammo capacity of a large MC? Why don't you put the Corrosive Shell on the medium one?

Because his PP will not support large overcharged MCs I believe. Regarding corrosive it doesn't stack, so only one is needed, also, autoloader got a decent buff to reload speed in 3.0, it's a great pressure mod, it never, ever stops firing.

As I say, IF he wants to change one of the rails for another MC, then sure, another corrosive, just to increase debuff uptime.

Well my powerplant doesn't even support the loadout with the railguns because I really need the shield boosters too.

The Chieftain works well as a hull tank. I have bi-weaves on mine with boosters just to improve the resistances. I've upped the armour and put module/hull protection in all spare slots. I'm not concerned if the shields drop, they come back quite quickly. In the few PvP fights I've had, the shields were mainly down for most of the fight (admittedly, I've only won once - but it wasn't due to my shields!).

The Chieftain works well as a hull tank. I have bi-weaves on mine with boosters just to improve the resistances. I've upped the armour and put module/hull protection in all spare slots. I'm not concerned if the shields drop, they come back quite quickly. In the few PvP fights I've had, the shields were mainly down for most of the fight (admittedly, I've only won once - but it wasn't due to my shields!).
I only play PvE

Well my powerplant doesn't even support the loadout with the railguns because I really need the shield boosters too.

No ya don't. :) I run one shield booster on a g5 thermal resist biweave, and every slot is HRP, except 2 MRPs. In case you're curious, I run two point defense (because with a biweave and lots of hull, you will be fighting shields down or up, they recharge in 30 seconds) because when your shields are down, NPCs will spam missiles, with one PD up and one down, you won't ever get hit by missiles, and one chaff, because it's the biggest NPC damage mitigator there is.

Tactics are basically, chaff whenever they're facing you, fight evasive, try to get behind them all the time (you won't be able to but keep trying, as their pitch rates are worse than engineered players, a least you'll minimise their ToT). Don't worry about shields, just keep fighting shields up or down until it's time to make like a tree (for me that's 20% hull).

I wanna say great minds think alike, but optimal loadout for this ship is really easy, innit. :)

Last edited:
Because his PP will not support large overcharged MCs I believe.

Mine has 2 focused (TLB & Dazzle, 1.87 & 1.97 MW) APAs (legacy), a Short Range/Super Penetrator Imperial Hammer (1.63 MW), 2 small Short Range/Super Penetrator railguns (1.15 MW each) and a small Long Range/Feedback Cascade railgun (1.32 MW), along with 6A Drag Drives DD5 (8.47 MW) and a Hi-Cap/Reinforced 5A Prismatic Shield (6.01 MW), and it has no power problems whatsoever, despite having only a G3 Thermal Spread Overcharged PP (@31.75 MW output).

A stock fixed 3C MC draws only 0.64 MW, about 66% less than any of my currently installed APAs. I seriously doubt that overcharging two of those could raise their power draw much higher than that of my advanced plasma accelerators.

(Edit: if you prefer gimballed MCs, their power draw is 0.97 MW, still ~20% below that of the plasma.)

Last edited:
Mine has 2 focused (TLB & Dazzle, 1.87 & 1.97 MW) APAs (legacy), a Short Range/Super Penetrator Imperial Hammer (1.63 MW), 2 small Short Range/Super Penetrator railguns (1.15 MW each) and a small Long Range/Feedback Cascade railgun (1.32 MW), along with 6A Drag Drives DD5 (8.47 MW) and a Hi-Cap/Reinforced 5A Prismatic Shield (6.01 MW), and it has no power problems whatsoever, despite having only a G3 Thermal Spread Overcharged PP (@31.75 MW output).

A stock fixed 3C MC draws only 0.64 MW (about 66% less than any of my currently installed APAs. I seriously doubt that overcharging two of those could raise their power draw much higher than that of my advanced plasma accelerators.

Did you miss the part where he's using a C rated PP?

Top Bottom