I wish I could share my style of playing with everyone.

I see so many people posting stuff about this game. I read rant after rant of unhappy commanders. I really don’t know what it is that those guys are doing in game. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills when I read all the unhappy posts. It’s almost as if they are talking about some other game I’ve never even heard of. I wish there was a way I could give them my eyes and let them see the game from a different point of view. I’ve NEVER been bored while playing elite. I do have some theories as to why I never seem to be unhappy with anything and maybe those of you who feel the same way about the game can tell me if you are the same. I enjoy reading books for fun. I like to imagine what my commmander is thinking at any given moment. I envision things happening as a result of something I’ve done (like when someone is giving a mission requesting battle weapons I think about them unpacking them and like arming for an assault somewhere). I enjoy powerplay because I don’t do the things for merits. I’m the description of every power player it has a description. I don’t fortify systems for Pranav Antal, I ship dessidents who are causing trouble in the area. They have been imprisoned and I’m picking them up and taking them back for Re-Education. When I pin blueprints I see the engineer handing me schematics that later on I give to the mechcanics at a station and they look it over and understand what they gotta do and they do it. That’s it. That it! That’s all it takes to enjoy the poo out of this game. Stop looking at it like a bunch of gears turning and instead look at it like a Watch.

verminstar

Banned
Well...now and again, we always have the odd bad day on the game and because of the rising influence of social media, some people just cant control themselves on the forum. Im just as guilty...its like stress relief sometimes letting loose with the sarcasm and now and again...because some people really really are seriously wound up...someone loses the plot entirely and goes on a literary campaign to vent their fury.

I think its a healthy outlet and its always fun watching other people destroy themselves openly....shows spirit and passion about a video game...just somewhat misdirected sometimes but its all good ^

OP the problem you described is quite easy to explain.

When a new Commander begins his journey his first ship has a secret module installed, it is called the 'Imagination Generator'. Some very fortunate Commanders such as yourself turned the module on at the beginning and as you progressed your career in the Pilot's Federation, this module was transferred to every ship you purchased. Well Done!

Unfortunately for so many other Commanders, they turned their module off, often quite early in their career. These poor, downtrodden Commanders now only see things in black and white, they find themselves being forced to never settle for what they have but to strive, to commit to own everything in the Universe. But alas, they can't and become jaded and unfulfilled.

One little known fact about the 'Imagination module', it is self upgrading. After being successfully utilized for a while, the module creates new and unique modules. These are called 'Fun', 'Enjoyment' and 'Satisfaction'. If a Commander has all these modules installed his is one very lucky Commander.

I see so many people posting stuff about this game. I read rant after rant of unhappy commanders. I really don’t know what it is that those guys are doing in game. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills when I read all the unhappy posts. It’s almost as if they are talking about some other game I’ve never even heard of. I wish there was a way I could give them my eyes and let them see the game from a different point of view. I’ve NEVER been bored while playing elite. I do have some theories as to why I never seem to be unhappy with anything and maybe those of you who feel the same way about the game can tell me if you are the same. I enjoy reading books for fun. I like to imagine what my commmander is thinking at any given moment. I envision things happening as a result of something I’ve done (like when someone is giving a mission requesting battle weapons I think about them unpacking them and like arming for an assault somewhere). I enjoy powerplay because I don’t do the things for merits. I’m the description of every power player it has a description. I don’t fortify systems for Pranav Antal, I ship dessidents who are causing trouble in the area. They have been imprisoned and I’m picking them up and taking them back for Re-Education. When I pin blueprints I see the engineer handing me schematics that later on I give to the mechcanics at a station and they look it over and understand what they gotta do and they do it. That’s it. That it! That’s all it takes to enjoy the poo out of this game. Stop looking at it like a bunch of gears turning and instead look at it like a Watch.

Are we playing our own game?

I have been playing for several years now. I just choose to do what I want to do. If I get bored with something I switch to something else (although it does take time to switch away from exploring if you are several thousand light years from any of your other ships!). My Rule 2 is; Have Fun (it is just a game, but WHAT a GAME!). Rule 2a is; In VR have LOTS more fun!!!

While it's nice to use your imagination, in the end that's all it is...playing pretend. I would enjoy this game much more if I could physically see the more nuanced workings of the interactions between my character, his dear ship, and all the other NPC's and such around him. (like SC for example.)

Until we get at the very least a good pair of space legs, so I can check up on my luxury passengers in the Tristan, this game is just no different than your typical cockpit-bound "fighter" sim...which is the reason why this game is inferior to SC and will stay as such until then.

Well...now and again, we always have the odd bad day on the game and because of the rising influence of social media, some people just cant control themselves on the forum. Im just as guilty...its like stress relief sometimes letting loose with the sarcasm and now and again...because some people really really are seriously wound up...someone loses the plot entirely and goes on a literary campaign to vent their fury.

I think its a healthy outlet and its always fun watching other people destroy themselves openly....shows spirit and passion about a video game...just somewhat misdirected sometimes but its all good ^

I totally recognize the fact that their rants are fueled by their passion for the game. It truly makes me sad to think that im somehow in some exclusive club and im not allowed to invite anyone and the only way to join is by choosing and not from being asked to join like the Freemasons. Elite Dangerous is the greatest game ever made. It is a masterpiece and the future of gaming itself. I know people will think i went way overboard with that statement but i really wish i could invite them to feel the same way. I haven't paid for another game since ive purchased Elite: Dangerous. When i log in and i hear the intro music i feel a wave of peace and tranquility wash over me like an awesome wave.

verminstar

Banned
I play by two very simple rules...

First...there are no rules.

Second...if in doubt, refer to the number one and chew on an onion fer an hour...yeah do that in VR, see what happens ^

While I can fully agree that its best to play ED with a bit of imagination and a relaxed nature I have to play devils advocate a bit and rant a bit for myself below.

Imagination is great. It has its limits though. You can imagine amazing stories and dialogues in your head all day but doesn't make them in the game you paid for. Imagining your having fun during a grind helps your boredom maybe but doesn't change the fact that you are still grinding repetitive and possibly uninteresting tasks.

I am of the opinion that a grind is real mechanic and can be measured, and not just this idea that is all in your head etc.
Is the reason why no mans sky failed because players didn't use their imaginations enough to fill in the gap? nah, it was a grindey, repetitive and shallow game.

Of course people aren't playing the same game as you because they are playing ED and you are playing OnTheMinute's Imaginary headcanon fantasy... I mean any piece of crap game can become good if you just imagine yourself playing something better but are you really playing a good game? are you really having fun?

Basically, I think this game suffers from a seriously unhealthy amount of fanboy ism that tends to come up with silly and contrived arguments to cover up and hide some glaring issues with ED. Understand that all this is coming from a player that has bought the game twice, been playing since the early days and continue to play hundreds of hours and even buy micro transactions for it. So I like the game, but it is absolutely a filthy grind fest and huge time sink of a game with still some very real issues needing to be smoothed out and aspects of game play expanded on. Let's not lose sight of reality.

Bottom line, quite frankly I don't think these posts help anyone really. You might not like it and they may not all be right but the complaints and issues raised in the forums eventually end up honing the game into a better product but a post like this doesn't serve to improve anything. Nobody that currently dislikes ED with start imagining it being good now that they have read your post.

While it's nice to use your imagination, in the end that's all it is...playing pretend.

You're right, we're pretending to fly spaceships in a massive galaxy. And you don't need any imagination for that, as the game presents that to you. All games are you pretending to be/do something you don't/can't normally do.

Top Bottom