Balance concerning low ranked players in big ships (Naval rank rant)

Rank is pointless and you are only looking at it from one pov. Lots of Elite ranked explorers out there who are using those big ships for other means. Guess their effort doesn't count for much?

I would appreciate an authentic military structure, with terms of service, salary, war missions, loaned no rebuy ships, actual warzones with battle lines, attacks on supply lines, stealthy intelligence gathering, assassinations that don't feel so generic. I authentically do not care what faction I'm fighting for in this game, because the progression is built around ship acquisition and not around relationships. One jpeg portrait is as intriguing as another. Do I get a military rank insignia decal even - no? Do I get a uniform that represents my rank - no? Do I get deployment orders for military tours - no? Do I get npc mates that I fight with and hang out on my bridge - no? How about a permit-locked base of operation - kind of?

It's really disappointing because the game is beautiful. One day I hope CD Projekt Red gets this engine, and cranks out stories like Witcher buried throughout the universe.

Who says I'm taking it seriously? I'm saying the Naval Rank needs some work. I invested quite some time to get my corvette, just to see a bunch of newcomers get it in a day and then complaining they can't fight in it, there is clearly a bad progression gap for certain players.

So what is your definitely of 'some work'? Is it the amount of time you took to get the rank as the ideal? What about someone who took longer, if they complained you got your rank too quickly would you relinquish your big ship out of a guilt?

So some numpties got their hands on a Cutter or Corvette far quicker than you did, big deal. Hell most of them probably used 90% of their funds to buy it, and will lose the ship after one or two rebuys. After all they very easy targets if they think they now fly an 'I WIN' ship lol

"Current big 3"... I'm talking about the corvette and the cutter.

Meh, either way your rant is laughable. Guess what? I had the Corvette and Cutter myself with only Mostly Harmless as my combat rank. Getting access to those ships has NOTHING to do with combat.

I would appreciate an authentic military structure, with terms of service, salary, war missions, loaned no rebuy ships, actual warzones with battle lines, attacks on supply lines, stealthy intelligence gathering, assassinations that don't feel so generic. I authentically do not care what faction I'm fighting for in this game, because the progression is built around ship acquisition and not around relationships. One jpeg portrait is as intriguing as another. Do I get a military rank insignia decal even - no? Do I get a uniform that represents my rank - no? Do I get deployment orders for military tours - no? Do I get npc mates that I fight with and hang out on my bridge - no? How about a permit-locked base of operation - kind of?

It's really disappointing because the game is beautiful. One day I hope CD Projekt Red gets this engine, and cranks out stories like Witcher buried throughout the universe.

You couldn't have said it better.

This has bugged me for a while as well, though I understand that FDev don't want to lock players out of content.

A quick and dirty solution: Instead of having both your naval ranks displayed, add a 'declare allegiance' toggle to the functions panel. You could switch it on the fly, just not show both.

Alternatively they could be tied to your Powerplay faction, though that would require introducing naval ranks for alliance and independent.

Not sure I understand the argument here. There have been quite a few admirals and generals in real life who never saw combat: Eisenhower for one. Rickover for another. But I do agree that the current in-game system is way too simplistic and easily exploited.

Last edited:
I don't see it as a miltary career. These ranks are security levels granted to private subcontractors as a reward for services rendered, unlocking ships and higher paid missions. If you think the military hold independant pilots with any regard at all think again. We're just a handy resource for jobs they don't want to do.

Like I say, that's just how I interpret it. I agree there is ample room for more interesting rank locked missions though.

It is a good idea. But let's loosen things up a little bit. How about the actual naval rank missions are actually tough (like video game bosses), and must be combat or combat support related. It makes literally no sense that I can run a data delivery mission for admiral. Why are naval rank missions the exact same as normal missions?!

Yes its easy to get the higher Naval ranks, but the most stupid thing I have ever noticed is I can be in "Both" Navy's....... As I have said before;

"Oh Look today I am an Admiral in the US Navy, Tomorrow I shall be an Admiral in the Russian Navy!"

Never going to happen, so why do we have the option to be in both in Elite, Should of been a pick one military and that's that, defect to the other, lose all ranks, affiliation with the old Navy and so on.

But as per OP's post and my comments, In the end "It's just a game" So let's just play and have fun :)

Oh look, another one of these threads.
0Q4CF4r.gif

@OP: You do realize there are high ranking officers in miltaries all over the planet, whom have never been in combat, nor will they ever see any combat?

Lets just keep on
TOTPjcF.gif

So you want Ed to be a true military sim huh? To be true to present military life, it would mean:

• None of this flying malarkey until you reach the Commissioned ranks (or at minimum, hold a Warrant). Up until then, like all troops you will be consigned to a station to maintain the ships. Of course in true military ethos, you will know in your heart that the pilot is only borrowing YOUR ship.
  • You will only be allowed to do what your superior Officer allows you to do, the way he or she wants it done.
  • No doing anything else outside of your military career unless you have written permission from you CO - there goes all those juicy trade missions!
  • Congratulations, you have made it up the rank ladder. Of course there is a cutoff where you transition from being a pilot to becoming a man manager, for the ranks here, probably once you reach Lieutenant Commander / Count ranks that would be it for your flying career, especially any combat roles.

Yep that would make an exciting game :D

So you want Ed to be a true military sim huh? To be true to present military life, it would mean:

• None of this flying malarkey until you reach the Commissioned ranks (or at minimum, hold a Warrant). Up until then, like all troops you will be consigned to a station to maintain the ships. Of course in true military ethos, you will know in your heart that the pilot is only borrowing YOUR ship.
  • You will only be allowed to do what your superior Officer allows you to do, the way he or she wants it done.
  • No doing anything else outside of your military career unless you have written permission from you CO - there goes all those juicy trade missions!
  • Congratulations, you have made it up the rank ladder. Of course there is a cutoff where you transition from being a pilot to becoming a man manager, for the ranks here, probably once you reach Lieutenant Commander / Count ranks that would be it for your flying career, especially any combat roles.

Yep that would make an exciting game :D

We want it to be more authentic, not realistic since that would make it even worse.

Yes its easy to get the higher Naval ranks, but the most stupid thing I have ever noticed is I can be in "Both" Navy's....... As I have said before;

"Oh Look today I am an Admiral in the US Navy, Tomorrow I shall be an Admiral in the Russian Navy!"

Never going to happen, so why do we have the option to be in both in Elite, Should of been a pick one military and that's that, defect to the other, lose all ranks, affiliation with the old Navy and so on.

But as per OP's post and my comments, In the end "It's just a game" So let's just play and have fun :)

There is at least one real life exception to that argument however: "Mickey" Marcus was a Colonel in the US Army who was sent to Israel where he acquired the rank of Brigadier General for the fledgling Israeli army during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. As far as I know, he never lost his active-duty status with the US Army. (Note - I only posted this as a point of interest, not to dispute your argument).

:)

Last edited:
I understand your point, and as a player who had to grind for the Corvette I ask you.

Why do you care? Sure, the rank system is archaic at best and a revamp is badly needed, but what does it affect your game that CMDR Joe here goes flying in his cheesed cutter, as one person said earlier most of them probably won't go farther than the first rebuy before they are out of money, if they got their ships being a messenger, good for them. They'll suffer the consequences of their actions, if they know how to manage it they'll become successful, if not they'll end up in ruin but that's THEIR problem, not yours.

You feel they should suffer the same way you did, just because? That's honestly quite a childish thought and please don't even try to compare real life to elite, just don't.

In short, the game will do its thing against them, you shouldn't really be thinking about it. And yes the rank system is bad.

I fully cheesed the imperial ranks with 3.0 for the cutter.

The whole ranking business is so stupid I gave up on the idea of ever buying the iCutter. Came along 3.0.... and voila one evening and done.

Best part is that I got the cutter for wing deliveries, and the irony is that since those are now useless without a full wing (regular bulk trading makes more money for 2 players), my cutter has been mothballed a week after... 🤣

I fully cheesed the imperial ranks with 3.0 for the cutter.

The whole ranking business is so stupid I gave up on the idea of ever buying the iCutter. Came along 3.0.... and voila one evening and done.

Best part is that I got the cutter for wing deliveries, and the irony is that since those are now useless without a full wing (regular bulk trading makes more money for 2 players), my cutter has been mothballed a week after... 藍

I never chased the ranks very hard...I had the 'points' to get the ranks...I never got the rank up missions to finish.

I decided to get the ranks....and when I finally started getting the rank ups...I was set at King and Admiral....who knew?

Top Bottom