List your three most used ships, and tell us a bit about them.

Just a bit of fun, and I know quite a routine question, but hey it's summer where I am, so let's kick back and have a natter!

1. Python - does everything I want and also allows me to visit outposts, which I enjoy as a bit of variety over the more usual stations. I have two, one for trading the other for passengers. Both pretty much a-rated and engineered the FSD and power plant, but not much else. One is called 'Pink Panther'*, the other 'Slice of Life'. This was the ship I aspired to right from premium beta - it took me ages to get there, but enjoy it as much today as I did when I first got it. I'm eagerly awaiting the galvanised paint-pack for this ship! I did get the body-pack too, but have only used a few very subtle components from it.

2. DbX - great for exploring. I've a-rated all the key components and engineered the FSD, not to the max but it's got around a 45Ly range, and that's plenty for me to go out into the 'big black'. It's called 'Longbow'. No paints for it yet as I think it looks good 'stock'.

3. Cobra III - I always get a very silly grin whenever I get back into it (being an '84'er), and it's the ship I have the most paint packs for. A-rated again where it counts and I've engineered the jump range, power plant and distributor. None to the max, just decent level 3 or 4. Named 'Fussy Buzzer'.

* c'mon, is it really just me thinking they look similar?
nBQP8oS.jpg

I also have a number of small ships that I struggle to find a 'reason' to fly, and I've long thought that it'd be nice to have missions that mandate the use of a small ship.

Last edited:
1:
iClipper: General use ship, but mainly used material gathering. Love the ships flight characteristics. Will most likely replace this ship with a Python in Beyond 3.1 due to the ships shortcomings with the introduction of the FSD booster.

2:
ASPx: Used for exploration and visiting alien sites.

3:
iCutter: For trading and this is the ultimate trading ship.

I have no combat ships as combat is not my thing.

Python: The Finch was my coming of age ship in the game. Went from being a noob struggling with npc pirates and ecstatic to make a couple million on a single jump to the rich noob I am now in it. Guessing it has the most flight hours. Currently outfitted for max cargo to rake in credits at lucrative medium pads.

Vette: Aptly named the Simpleton and chock full of turreted beams, absurd Shield value, and SCBs for maximum CZ/merit farming laziness. Probably spend close to half my time in it as of late.

The third would be the rest of my fleet, who collectively get more flight time than the above two. I switch between them regularly for bubble jumping, material collecting, and the occasional exploration trip.

Last edited:
Asp Ex: Innocent Bystander - gathering mats/SRV/wake scanning and traveling
Vette: Enormous Girth - pew pew
Python: Mission In Life - material mission running

Will probably change once I get some engineering done.

1. Anaconda - Exploring, mining, and carting sheeple
2. Vulture - VR combat
3. Sidewinder - Carefree flying

1. DBX - Exploring abounds.
2. FDL - Primary bounty hunting vehicle. Great shields, maneuverability, and the huge HP is face melting.
3. Python - Hauler & great generalist.

Type 9 - The Adkov. Perfect for my prospecting. Looks great on a hill when I'm buzzing around in my srv.

Type 9 - ..... admittedly I have a bunch of ships, but have only used this one since I got it early last year. I also use this as a support vessel when bounty hunting with a group. I guess I'm the cleric. Handles like a boat on land in combat, but with nothing but turrets I don't need to turn much.

Type 9 - I might have a problem. With some good mods and engineering I get acceptable jump ranges and have gotten quite a few firsts with this.

DBX: My go to Exploration Ship which has taken me to some great areas off and on planet.
Vulture: My go to Combat ship. I love the way it handles and how it looks.
Cobra Mk3: This is my work horse ships. I use it for most mission work.

1) Python; armed mission runner/passenger kiner
2) AspX; Bubble traveler
3) iCourier; go cart/data mission goto ship

Cutter, Vulture, Asp. Built obviously for purposes that suit the ships, except for maybe the Cutter since I find that it flies in combat just fine.

1. Asp X - Literally 90% of my 1800+ hours in Elite have been spent flying my Asp Explorer. I've done everything in it, but mostly exploring.
  2. DBX - After the DBX was buffed in 2.3 I flew it a LOT, essentially mothballing my Asp X.
  3. Python - This used to be my main mining ship, so I've done a lot of mining in it. Now my T10 has taken its place.

1) Combat Corvette – Name: Azrael’s Embrace. Used for popping NPCs, the instigators of fool-hardy interdictions and general carnage. Lethal and veritably agile with full G5 engineering. Chromed paint-job. Red weapons/engines/hud. Seriously crappy jump range.

2) Explorer Anaconda – Name: The Riven Void. Weaponless, 68-ish ly jump range with vehicle hanger. I’ve managed to get the downgraded thrusters to boost but I have to be mindful of high-G worlds. Lightweight/G5 everything where beneficial. Midnight Black paint-job. Red weapons/engines/hud. Used for getting anywhere quickly and far-flung sojourns across the void.

3) Asp Explorer – Name: Urizen Scatter Black. The first ship that I really loved and the one that netted me the bulk of my first billion. 48+ ly jump range – now used for darting around the bubble and general errands, mostly because of my fondness for the ship. Midnight Black paint-job. Red weapons/engines/hud (it’s a theme).

I also enjoy my Beluga (money spinner) and Python (trade/mining), both of which I use equally regularly. :)

Last edited:
1. Alliance Chieftain - requisitioned for the Federal cause. Manoeuvrable beyond all expectation, great jump range, good shields when fitted properly, wonderfully well armed and fast! Limited internals - but I work within those limitations for the tasks I set for her.

End of list - I own no other ships.

I am a simple Commander - one ship, one adventure.

I've only flown a DBX for months since I restarted (got a Sidey and a Freagle parked somewhere). It's nearly fully engineered for PvE bounty hunting with a 57ly jump range for exploration (while fully armed) and getting around. Named YourBunnyWrote and she's vibrant yellow.

Vette for pve because it's an absolute beast.

DBx for exploration because it's small and can land pretty much anywhere, with it being so small.

Cobra which I use to just run around the bubble, plus it's kinda iconic I suppose.

1. “Delbert Mclintock” FSG, has 25 solo cyclops kills
2. “Serious callers only” Python. Has made a lot of money.
3. “Howard Marks” Cobra. Smuggler.

I am saving for an ‘conda...

1: Zero Gravitas - Exploration Conda
2: The Rock Hopper - Mining Conda
3: TinkerBell - Combat Conda

3a: The Unreliable Witness - Multipurpose, Jack of All trades, wait for it.. you guessed it, thats right !!! CONDA !!!

Although there are many ships in my "fleet", specific to purpose (bounty hunting, etc.) the three most used in order would be...

DBX - My exploration vessel. Well, for what little "exploration" really exists, that is. Can equip with guns/armor and still get 55LY range. Just wish the cockpit was a bit less "boxy" and had the view of the AspX.

Python - mainly my mission runner. Its ability to equip guns/defense AND huge cargo hold as well as land at Outposts is simply unmatched. Not really a fan of the looks or feel, but it's utilitarian without a doubt.

AspX - Don't really fly it much anymore. Used to be a good "in between" choice for the Python/DBX for hauls and such, or a bit of mining, salvage, light exploration... but I've found module slotting to be a PITA so I gave up trying. I originally bought it as an "upgrade" for Exploration purposes, but then found it can good at one thing, but never good at more than one. Simply "mediocre" in terms of multipurpose. Currently gathering dust.

I've found that there's a significant correlation as to why overall people seem to fly the same ship models... because it's quite simply unbalanced. There's really not much "choice" when you make certain ships stand out above the others. Some of them just don't "sacrifice" anything for their advantages, where some are clearly gimped for "balance" reasons. Would be interesting if FD did a study on this and really helped bring the others to the same "level" of the frequently used... or simply gave all ships purpose by way of explicit bonuses.

Currently, I'm testing out the Chieftan as a multipurpose exploration vessel. Not quite so sure it fits the bill, but it definitely gives a bit more freedom over other choices in terms of module slotting.

I've found that there's a significant correlation as to why overall people seem to fly the same ship models... because it's quite simply unbalanced. There's really not much "choice" when you make certain ships stand out above the others. Some of them just don't "sacrifice" anything for their advantages, where some are clearly gimped for "balance" reasons. Would be interesting if FD did a study on this and really helped bring the others to the same "level" of the frequently used... or simply gave all ships purpose by way of explicit bonuses.

That’s probably true, but I find that things are slightly different in VR. You can enjoy a ship purely for its ambience and aesthetic qualities. If I were being hard-nosed about it then there’s probably no compelling reason to fly the Beluga over an Anaconda for passengers at present, but I’ve grown quite fond of that ship.

Top Bottom