Fun Challenge: Creating a Novel Nublar

Last night, I came up with a fun idea for Nublar sandboxers.
Try to create a version of the park based on the list of dinosaurs present in the Michael Chricton's original version of the park from the novel.
I haven't started the challenge yet myself but here's a list for everyone to work with:

• Tyrannosaurus - 2
• Maiasaurs - 21
• Stegosaurus - 4
• Triceratops - 8
• Procomsognathids - 49 (as of the JP update)
• Othnielia - 16 (if you use dinos from the '-Mimus' family as placeholders)
• Deinonychus/Velociraptors - 8 (or 37 if you want to have a bad time)
• Apatosaurus/Camarasaurus - 17
• Hadrosaurus/Edmontosaurus/Parasaurolophus - 11
• Dilophosaurus - 7
• Pterosaurs - 6
• Hypsilophodontids - 33 (if you use dinos from the '-Mimus' family as placeholders)
• Euoplocephalus (anything in the ankylosaurid family) - 16
• Styracosaurus - 18
• Microceratops - 22 (Homalocephales as placeholders?)

Personally, I'm planning on taking on this self-imposed challenge because I want to see if its possible to actually make a Jurassic Park with the space available.
Some of the alternate dinosaur choices are based on what dinosaurs are available in the game in relation to their relatives from the book.
For example, while the Hadrosaurus isn't in the game, the Edmontosaurus is their closest relative both biological and physically.

As for the option of having the Deinonychus instead of the Velociraptors, the versions of the raptors featured in the book were based on the Deinonychus more than the raptors so I thought it was worth noting since the game even took the time to acknowledge this detail by including Grant's raptor quote from the first film when releasing your first Deinonychus.
"Any creature whose name means "terrible claw" is one that should be given respect. That's what you have there...a Deinonychus."​

In regards to the Euoplocephalus note, anything in the ankylosaurid family includes:
• Ankylosaurus
• Crichtonsaurus
• Chungkingosaurus
• Huayangosaurus
• Nodosaurus

I know a lot of people are busy trying to make the parks from the films but, why not take a step further by creating InGen's list from the novel :)

I'll be looking forward to seeing both what people think of this challenge as well as screenshots of what they manage to create!

Happy Incubating, Fellow JP Fans ♥

Last edited:
ohhh i love this! :D
I was actually thinking a nublar park with the film dinosaurs but arranged per film. Per area would be accessible only by monorail to add separation. Area 1 JP dinosaurs. Area 2 lost world. Area 3 JP3. etc etc... if an animal was portrayed in multiple films like the trex and the raptors then they would appear only on their debut film..
but i think i'll take you up on this challenge hehe.
after i finish tidying up my old islands. first play through i just crammed everything i could build on every space i could see. haha

Technically, you can turn escapes off on Nublar but, I think there should be an option to increase population caps on Nublar since its a sandbox map.

When I get around to going to Nublar I wanted to recreate the more safari like JP over the commercialized JW. At least at heart. The games building options and attractions limit it. But I wanted to arrange it like the many user maps of Nublar from the book or even from the film. Then shut down the power and watch life find a way.

When I get around to going to Nublar I wanted to recreate the more safari like JP over the commercialized JW. At least at heart. The games building options and attractions limit it. But I wanted to arrange it like the many user maps of Nublar from the book or even from the film. Then shut down the power and watch life find a way.

Yeah I was hoping for the safari style too. Hopefully, the tour trucks will become a thing at some point.

also i would love safari style parks, :D but if the enclosure size is too big and dinos (esp herbs) wander too far and don't sense their social group they get agitated. someone mentioned that it was becoz there's o herding behavior? im not sure tho.

I mean...I wish there was a way to simply tweak the social levels of some dinos cause Nublar in the novel had 2 Rexes but, the game makes it so that only one seems possible.

I mean...I wish there was a way to simply tweak the social levels of some dinos cause Nublar in the novel had 2 Rexes but, the game makes it so that only one seems possible.

I wish this wasn't so. I really want to be able to have at least 2 Tyrannosaurs in the same paddock. [sad] I've only ever had one so far as I've only just got onto Tacano.

guys quick question, sorry bcoz i forgot, but in game, which is bigger in terms of playable area sorna or nublar?

I don't have Sorna unlocked yet.
Also, another update.
The social limit for Styracosaurus is 4 so the only way there can be the true number of Triceratops and Styracosaurus is to have multiple paddocks where they could be mixed in with other dinosaurs for diversity.

I don't have Sorna unlocked yet.
Also, another update.
The social limit for Styracosaurus is 4 so the only way there can be the true number of Triceratops and Styracosaurus is to have multiple paddocks where they could be mixed in with other dinosaurs for diversity.

ahh okay. coz on paper sorna looks bigger but bcoz nublar is one map, not divided into sections maybe that's why i feel its bigger.

anyways as what you mentioned before we can switch off the escapes so no biggy even if we cram them all into one paddock hahaha i retract my previous statement. bcoz i tried to max a small paddock way above the max population cap of certain species, they didnt attack the fence nor get their comfort in the red zone. but the torosaurus' did duel each other to the death. but they never attacked the fence.

in said paddock:
6 stegs
6 toros
1 maiasaura
3 tsintao
3 trics
3 anky
1 muttabura

I sincerely would like Spinosaurus limit to be 0-1. Tyrannosaurus I could do better a 0-2 because we saw in the second film that can walk in pairs. Already the Spinosaurus seems to me a very solitary face. But it is my opinion.

I sincerely would like Spinosaurus limit to be 0-1. Tyrannosaurus I could do better a 0-2 because we saw in the second film that can walk in pairs. Already the Spinosaurus seems to me a very solitary face. But it is my opinion.

Agreed. I don't see why the Spino can live as a pair but, not Rexes (despite the fact that Rexes have been seen in the films to be in at least pairs).

Top Bottom