Juvenile dinosaurs

An idea I had for incorporating juvenile dinosaurs in the game (This is not a wishlist thread, Lora. It's a discussion. Please don't close it.):
First of all, cancel ageing. Really, it makes little sense that one of your dinosaurs dies at 106 years after a few hours of gameplay, but the park hasn't changed one bit in over a century - by which time guests should be arriving in spaceships and all of the cast should be long dead (or cloned :rolleyes:). Dinosaurs can be killed in fights or die from disease, starvation or thirst. That's plenty death to go around. Ageing adds nothing to the game other than trivial undertaker chores.
You would then have the option to release a juvenile dinosaur at half the incubation time. It wouldn't grow into an adult, but it would definitely enrich the park and enhance the immersion. It would require smaller models with some tweaking and adjusted animations. Make it an option only for some (obvious) species.
These dinosaurs could be released in an enclosure with adults or put together in a designated herbivore petting zoo, which has a unique fence and entrance.
What do you guys think?

petting_zoo.png

Last edited:
Nice idea ;) especially the ageing part... we all know how to get rid of unwanted dinosaurs... [yesnod] and not by selling them [where is it]

Last edited:
Then you get rid of the management aspect of dead Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs don't die of disease as long as you treat them.

Then you get rid of the management aspect of dead Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs don't die of disease as long as you treat them.

That's a pita job anyway :) Instead, you could do something more interesting... like clean up their poop every 4.5 seconds :p
Joking, obviously.... but there's certainly more interesting management that could be added instead of the existing 'attention seeker' tasks

In which case you already did the necessary managing by treating them in time. Fail and you'll have the task of clicking T and then clicking the corpse.

i think that zoo tycoon dinosaur digs, released in 2002, had egg stage, juvenile stage and mature stage of dinosaurs. And i loved it.
SOO... yeah, that would be nice.
we would loose this aspect of the park managment but what about putting another aspect to replace it and keep us busy ? Like Guesting groups, celebritys, and so on, or more simple, allow us to extend the map size to build more stuff and that would keep us busy and als...:x

Last edited:
i think that zoo tycoon dinosaur digs, released in 2002, had egg stage, juvenile stage and mature stage of dinosaurs. And i loved it.
SOO... yeah, that would be nice.
we would loose this aspect of the park managment but what about putting another aspect to replace it and keep us busy ? Like Guesting groups, celebritys, and so on, or more simple, allow us to extend the map size to build more stuff and that would keep us busy and als...:x

Adding breeding and growth to the game sounds complicated. Eliminating ageing and inserting a few juvenile models is way simpler, at least in concept.
I don't see the loss of management you guys becry. You would still have to remove dead dinosaurs, just less frequently.

Adding breeding and growth to the game sounds complicated. Eliminating ageing and inserting a few juvenile models is way simpler, at least in concept.
I don't see the loss of management you guys becry. You would still have to remove dead dinosaurs, just less frequently.

Gotta agree with this assessment, you'd still have to clean up in the aftermath of dino escapes especially when carnivores decide to wander into herbivore enclosures or they encounter each other when rampaging through the park during an escape attempt. Or decides to take advantage of the fact that you just traq'd a dino and they decide to make a meal out of it before your airlift gets to that dino to move it elsewhere. I had 2 Dilo's earlier decide to rampage during a storm and instead of breaking out into the park they decided to break into the enclosure that housed all of the Ornithomimidae dino's... it was a slaughter.

Last edited:
I like the idea in principle but not sure how it would work in practice. I certainly like the idea of juvenile dinosaurs being at the heart of a visitor attraction. The ability to see your creations grow would add a little further depth and lets face it anything keeping the kids entertained makes life easier for the parents. Your ratings would go through the roof!

I think the juveniles would bring some interesting new aspects to game play. Firstly by doing more stupid social things, such as fighting with adults and getting gently told off. Or attacking fences when they’re happy but being mostly ineffective in breaking them (but beware a fence breach if you have a lot of juveniles butting the same areas). This should all scale with size of course - if an adult hadrosaur can break down a light fence, you can bet a juvenile Brachiosaurus could too. At the moment we have ornithomimosaurs able to break concrete though, so theres that.

I’d also like to see some tolerance variety in the species: e.g. Maiasaura being perfectly happy to have a load of little ones running around their feet but Torosaurus gets stressed if she’s in close proximity to more than 2 juvies; Tyrannosaurus tolerating another Tyrannosaurus in her paddock until it reaches maturity,

I like this idea a lot! Would need to add some more causes of death though to compensate, but make them preventable.

That's a pita job anyway :) Instead, you could do something more interesting... like clean up their poop every 4.5 seconds :p
Joking, obviously.... but there's certainly more interesting management that could be added instead of the existing 'attention seeker' tasks

Poop management IS a legit concern that was covered in the novel. Adding such a thing, with the option to either manually deal with it with rangers or "automate" it by breeding scavengers like the compys, would be a realistic mechanic for a park simulator like this and true to the source material.

Dinosaurs can be killed in fights or die from disease, starvation or thirst. That's plenty death to go around. Ageing adds nothing to the game other than trivial undertaker chores.
Dinosaurs don't die unless you don't look after them; if you attend to their hunger, thirst and disease (which you're supposed to be doing anyway), they'll live to a ripe old age and die of natural causes.

You would then have the option to release a juvenile dinosaur at half the incubation time. It wouldn't grow into an adult, but it would definitely enrich the park and enhance the immersion. It would require smaller models with some tweaking and adjusted animations. Make it an option only for some (obvious) species.
These dinosaurs could be released in an enclosure with adults or put together in a designated herbivore petting zoo, which has a unique fence and entrance.
What do you guys think?
Honestly, I don't think it would serve enough of a purpose. It would just be having micro versions of all the Dinosaurs you've already got for the pure sake of it.

Dinosaurs don't die unless you don't look after them; if you attend to their hunger, thirst and disease (which you're supposed to be doing anyway), they'll live to a ripe old age and die of natural causes. Honestly, I don't think it would serve enough of a purpose. It would just be having micro versions of all the Dinosaurs you've already got for the pure sake of it.

That's fair enough. I think it would improve the immersion, enable incorporating the highly requested petting zoo in the game and answer the repeated criticism of dinosaur lifespans.

Top Bottom