Anti Xeno Combat Initiative and Ship Outfit Suggestions for All

Thought I would share a recent encounter where, using 4 Shard Cannons I was able to eliminate a Cyclops in under 1 minute. Apparently they are quite vulnerable during their yellow attack phase and so , without further adieu— CMDR Warflower killing a Cyclops in under 1 minute:

https://youtu.be/9h00rWydo5Y

Could this be a record kill speed ? 😂

Thought I would share a recent encounter where, using 4 Shard Cannons I was able to eliminate a Cyclops in under 1 minute. Apparently they are quite vulnerable during their yellow attack phase and so , without further adieu— CMDR Warflower killing a Cyclops in under 1 minute:

Could this be a record kill speed ? ��

I see a 120 mil/hour cyclops farming gold rush coming :D

In my last encounter this morning, I fitted my KRAIT with x2 plasma chargers and x2 gauss cannons (+ the mandatory flak cannon). Things started going amiss when I realized I misscalculated energy and some critical systems, like life support, failed. I was able to fix that.

However, the total "run-for-my-life" moment was when I exposed a heart, shot my x2 gauss cannons... and my temperature went above 170% and would not drop. That's when I realized I was fighting inside the gravity well of a planet.

Some more outfitting is required.

In my last encounter this morning, I fitted my KRAIT with x2 plasma chargers and x2 gauss cannons (+ the mandatory flak cannon). Things started going amiss when I realized I misscalculated energy and some critical systems, like life support, failed. I was able to fix that.

However, the total "run-for-my-life" moment was when I exposed a heart, shot my x2 gauss cannons... and my temperature went above 170% and would not drop. That's when I realized I was fighting inside the gravity well of a planet.

Some more outfitting is required.

Yipes

for your consideration: my AX Vette build (tm)
https://s.orbis.zone/4PuYqvN7

Let me preface by saying that I’m assuming this is a build for SOLO encounters.
Also, not a huge fan of the Vette for Thargoids due to weapon placement and convergence issues.
That said this build will work - however, a lot depends on your experience level. The build has plenty of hull, lots of shield, however the Goid WILL be faster than you - so watch the lightning attacks.
Now Gauss Cannons are your heart killers, I could see potentially adding 1 more Gauss to the loadout and dropping a flak. The reason I say that is that if you are close enough and accurate you can kill a heart instantly with 3 Gauss Cannons in a single shot I’m not sure you can with just 2. I realize that drops a flak but that’s just a trade out I prefer. You can carry more heat sinks too if you see too much heat.

In terms of the Cyclops, you can reasonably ignore the swarm with the build you have but against the other Thargoids( basilisk, Medusa) you need the swarm to be dealt with because prolonged exposure will wreck even the heartiest loadout. So that is why I prefer the Cutter and Conda or even a Challenger. Each has an advantage...the Conda I carry 4large shard cannons, the Cutter I use 4 Gauss, the Challenger 3 Gauss and a lg Shard. Challenger and Cutter have speed. The Conda has tank and DPS. I hope that helps.

Good luck... tell us how it fares.

for your consideration: my AX Vette build (tm)
https://s.orbis.zone/4PuYqvN7
One important question. What are you planning to do in that Vette ? Casually shoot Cyclopses or work your way up to Medusa ? If second, then:
- You have an insane amount of armor that is enough to kill a freаking Mothership, you don't need that much. Anything higher than 6k is an overkill.
- Take two 7A SCB's. Your №1 priority against Thargoids are shields.
- No fighter ? Ultimately, you don't need it, but you still have enough room for it and it can be helpful sometimes, when you need to fly away and reboot for example.
- You don't need two Heatsinks, especially in your build when nothing heats your ship except for two gauss cannons. If your plan is to use them to distract Thargoids aiming, then you, first of all, need very good FAOFF skills, and second, it's a strange choice for that playstile, Krait is 10x times better for that.
- So i suggest throwing away one Heatsink and take something else instead, Neutralizer for example, or another Shield Booster.
- Shard Cannons works really bad on big and slow ships. Damage is only good against Cyclops and Basilisk and only up to 1km, after that damage is much worse because of the spread. And what's the most important - it's absolutely impossible to stay within 1km range from Interceptor in such ship for enough time for them to be really useful. And against Medusa damage is laughable.
- The perfect weapon loadout against Medusa is 4 gauss and 1 flak. But if you don't want to engage them just now and really want to use 2 flaks, then i suggest taking another gauss. Or get rid of second flak and take 2 gauss and 2 plasma (just for fun).

Last edited:
Shard Cannons works really bad on big and slow ships. Damage is only decent against Cyclops and Basilisk and only up to 1km, after that damage is crap because of the spread.

Great advice Painbeaver, however I think you are incorrect about damage of the Shard Cannons.

I present as evidence my own personal video (which I posted earlier in this thread—shameless plug) using 4 shards cannons that I recorded yesterday killing a Thargoid Cyclops in less than 1 minute in an Anaconda.

Also, I winged with another CMDR using a 4 Shard Cannon loadout and took down a Basilisk and we ignored the swarm. They may be more powerful than you believe they are.

Great advice Painbeaver, however I think you are incorrect about damage of the Shard Cannons.

I present as evidence my own personal video (which I posted earlier in this thread—shameless plug) using 4 shards cannons that I recorded yesterday killing a Thargoid Cyclops in less than 1 minute in an Anaconda.

Also, I winged with another CMDR using a 4 Shard Cannon loadout and took down a Basilisk and we ignored the swarm. They may be more powerful than you believe they are.

They are quite powerfull, i know, maybe i used wrong words in that sentence ) You can click on my signature and in the last video i used them for Medusa kill along with Plasma, but that was for a challenge and in normal situation, against Medusa, i would throw them away immediately, even with premium ammo. I didn't like how they performed in that fight.
I spend a lot of time playing with them off the video too. Had fun with Cyclops, but i used premium ammo and killed it in 2 mags from 4 Shards ) Also killed Medusa with 4 Shards (+2 thermal frags for panic shield) and premium ammo by just spamming and ignoring everything (i was killing hearts before Medusa turning back at me after flying away), but didn't record it cos it's just cheesing.
The thing is, i don't take into account Cyclopses, they are a complete joke now with paper armor stats. Basilisk and Medusa, in a normal fight, when you don't just stay at one place and spam, ignoring everything, when you don't have the speed and agility of medium ships, i feel that Gauss and Plasma would be a better choice.
Once again, that's just from my experience and my feelings, also i generally only fight Medusas. If someone is really interested in Thargoid fights, he can test both options by himself and decide what works better for him.

Last edited:
Excellent points! It is relative for sure. Based on experience primarily and what your play style and what you may want to try and accomplish in the game. I didn’t use premium ammo in my vid because I was simply trying to kill the Cyclops as fast as possible with out any undo “help”. In a way it was to prove that it could be done that quickly, but Medusas are a slightly different beast due to their regen speed. So Shards, as you astutely stated, wont likely be a great choice. I too would go Gauss.

In the end I hope more CMDRS get a chance to kill some bugs as it will embolden them to push and go for the bigger challenges.

I think we are on the same page in wondering the purpose for the loadout initiated by the build question as that will give us a better idea of what suggestions to make based on the intent of the poster

Thank you for your well thought out and informative rebuttal.

Last edited:
i will try 4x shard turrets and multicrew in my T10
hopefully i can facetank those interceptors long enough for the lower damage turret version.

the new guardian MRPs should help dealing with the yellow lightnings interference

i will try 4x shard turrets and multicrew in my T10
hopefully i can facetank those interceptors long enough for the lower damage turret version.

the new guardian MRPs should help dealing with the yellow lightnings interference

The lightning does nothing against your modules, it just strips shield. Once your shield goes the lightning attack is nothing BUT that’s when the Goid will start module sniping...if you just do mass damage AND kill hearts as they become exposed (while facing Goid) you can overwhelm a Cyclops quite rapidly. If it manages to get away after the initial facing ... just collect yourself, deploy SCBs and re engage.
WithTurreted version you could consider standard or even premium ammo. You will notice that the PREMIUM ammo for the Shard Cannon oddly requires ZEROguardian tech to synthesize.
Good Luck

The lightning does nothing against your modules, it just strips shield. Once your shield goes the lightning attack is nothing BUT that’s when the Goid will start module sniping...if you just do mass damage AND kill hearts as they become exposed (while facing Goid) you can overwhelm a Cyclops quite rapidly. If it manages to get away after the initial facing ... just collect yourself, deploy SCBs and re engage.
WithTurreted version you could consider standard or even premium ammo. You will notice that the PREMIUM ammo for the Shard Cannon oddly requires ZEROguardian tech to synthesize.
Good Luck

the GMRPs list a protection against thargoid shutdown technology, and other said, its not against the big EMP blast, but the effect by the yellow lightning.
i will fit them anyway, because they have more hitpoints then the regular ones.

i just have to find a new balance in my outfitting, since my T10 with armored powerplant is currently at max power using AX turrets.
my plan is to go with 4x turreted shard + 3x flak (2x turret, 1x fixed) + 2 small thermal vent beams (gimbal, to leave me with at least the small weapons in multicrew :D)

the thing i really don't get, is the higher distributor draw and heat of the weaker guardian turrets. or why they are they weaker in the first place.
the Flak turret is the only multicrew-weapon ingame that has no penalty applied (mining laser are no weapon)

the GMRPs list a protection against thargoid shutdown technology, and other said, its not against the big EMP blast, but the effect by the yellow lightning.
i will fit them anyway, because they have more hitpoints then the regular ones.

Oh yes the GMRP do state a protection against the guardian shutdown but it’s really very difficult through the reading and in playing where the protection was s given. In my experience the Yellow lightning is pure shield strip, the red laser shots and the swarm is what snipes your modules, so long as you have a shield they won’t be able to snipe you. But if you do lose the shield the GMRP will assist versus the snipe attack’s. The trade off is that All GUARDIAN modules require power, while their human counterparts do not. If you are very tight in power switching from guardian to human module protection is a way to lower your power requirements.

i just have to find a new balance in my outfitting, since my T10 with armored powerplant is currently at max power using AX turrets.
my plan is to go with 4x turreted shard + 3x flak (2x turret, 1x fixed) + 2 small thermal vent beams (gimbal, to leave me with at least the small weapons in multicrew :D)

If you use shards , you do not need those beams as the shards destroy the shields,hearts, and hull with equal veracity. Dropping the beams could also help in power reduction. Shards give off almost no heat and almost no Dist drain and a single pip or two is all you need to virtually spam the shard cannons. Of course then you just get to fly while the others shoot. 😕

the thing i really don't get, is the higher distributor draw and heat of the weaker guardian turrets. or why they are they weaker in the first place.
the Flak turret is the only multicrew-weapon ingame that has no penalty applied (mining laser are no weapon)

The whole idea of a turreted weapon that is ONLY turreted when in multicrew boggles my mind as it seems a pretty lame “feature”, plus you get hosed with reduced damage on top of that . Hope this helps. And good luck

Last edited:
yeah, if i can't fit the GMRPs due to power constraints, i wont bother with them.
i will only insist on having at least 10% caustic resists on my hull.
The whole idea of a turreted weapon that is ONLY turreted when in multicrew boggles my mind as it seems a pretty lame “feature”, plus you get hosed with reduced damage on top of that . Hope this helps. And good luck

actually, if you take a closer look, the MC-only turrets are straight forward those, which have a skill based trigger:

• Mining laser:
    you can't lock asteroids, so there is currently no way to command fire at a specific rock
  • RR flak and RR Flechette* (hold down and release at the right moment)
    i am sure, AI would be able to use this with some heavy coding, but i would fear that its either useless or overpowered
  • plasma charger (charge and release at the right moment)
    i have tested this with an npc pilot while deploying into my slf.
    they charge it up but never release until the target explodes. so no AI for them.
  • shock cannon**
    another skill based weapon - having them automatic defeats the purpose - and again, would be either IMBA (always shooting at the max rate) or useless (acting like a normal cannon turret)

those are all the turrets that only work in multicrew as turrets.
Shards are just fancy Frags, and AX missiles are cannons with ultra slow projectiles, so they work without multicrew.

TBH, i would like to have a multicrew-restricted turret version of EVERY weapon ingame, but without the damage penalty when not turreted

*: RR flechette multicrew turrets are bugged
**: writing this reminds me that i have to test shock cannons with my elite npc pilot :D

That bothers me, too. Double penalty it seems. MX turrets do work, though, without a multicrew, which I didn' t know for some time.

So i was scared today a little fighting cyclops . Did anyone have similar situation ? I was hunting in merope , when i managed to destroy 3 hearts instead typical energy burst i heard "frameshift anomaly detected" . When i turned back , Cyclops i was engeaging was still chasing me but spinning very fast . So i atacked him , when i exterted last heart he stopped spinning but even stranger thing happened , this was moment when i was scared a little as it looked like from behind cyclops i engeaged appeared second Cyclops.... this was what i thought but that "second" had same heart exterted , most likely it was some kind of afterimage seen trough wormhole that appeared . I didn't manage to get screenshots as it happened so fast and lasted for a 2-3 seconds .
Btw nothing came in and nothing went out trough wormhole.

SeONivQ.png

Whole encounter was a bit strange

Top Bottom