Community guests at FD HQ on 27th for Q4 news

What I had in mind with my question was better illustrated by one of Ziljan's recent posts, in where he compared current lighting (and true lighting of the milky way) with the proposed lighting (sorry I'm still trying to find this post). I think it should be very well possible to make a general statement about his concerns in the lines of "nothing like that". If that would be the case I see no reason why to hide such a general statement behind the NDA. Otherwise it makes me worrying...

Those screenshots were ages ago and they had only been looking at the system and how it worked for a few weeks as was stated at the time. Let's wait and see how it looks first after they have been working with it for a number of months.

Please now. "Let's wait and see" is an answer I'm still able giving to myself, despite my higher age. :D

You guys know how to talk to a Tattergreis (=> old crock)

I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself.

It's just that it's pointless looking at screenshots that are not representative of the final product and basing expectations off of them.

I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself.

It's just that it's pointless looking at screenshots that are not representative of the final product and basing expectations off of them.

Which is why he is asking people who actually went there to watch it. You know, those people who are not you or me.

Yeah me too, and that's why my question was directed to Alec (sorry, no offence) or to anyone else of the visitors. I couldn't yet find the post I'm looking for but I'm close. It's basically about the proposed 'adaptive lighting' as you can see here:

And here my question: Is this still a thing? Just a simple yes or no would perfectly do. If yes, is this what you were referring to with "graphical updates"?

I don't recall the galaxy backdrop in the Hot Build demo looking "bright/washed-out" like that linked image, if that helps. Overall, everything looked much better.

What I had in mind with my question was better illustrated by one of Ziljan's recent posts, in where he compared current lighting (and true lighting of the milky way) with the proposed lighting (sorry I'm still trying to find this post). I think it should be very well possible to make a general statement about his concerns in the lines of "nothing like that". If that would be the case I see no reason why to hide such a general statement behind the NDA. Otherwise it makes me worrying...

Those screenshots were ages ago and they had only been looking at the system and how it worked for a few weeks as was stated at the time. Let's wait and see how it looks first after they have been working with it for a number of months.

Quick update: I was able to find a monitor setting that fixed the grey sky for washed out images shown at Lavecon. Apart from the new lensing effects, rainbows, and Newton rings, all Frontier did was increase the "exposure" in order to bring out background "nebulosity" of the milky way. So I adjusted my monitor by turning up the contrast to 100 and the brightness down to 22 and that returned things to normal. As long as they don't mix and match brightness levels for different objects too much, this should be an Ok solution that brings back blackness between stars and reverses the general washed out look of the new "lighting + color grade" making colors vibrant again.

I imagine undoing the lighting and color changes will be very monitor specific.

Last edited:
Quick update: I was able to find a monitor setting that fixed the grey sky for washed out images shown at Lavecon. Apart from the new lensing effects, rainbows, and Newton rings, all Frontier did was increase the "exposure" in order to bring out background "nebulosity" of the milky way. So I adjusted my monitor by turning up the contrast to 100 and the brightness down to 22 and that returned things to normal. As long as they don't mix and match brightness levels for different objects too much, this should be an Ok work around for the lack of blackness between stars and general washed out look of the new "lighting + color grade".

Considering it is dynamic, I dont think that will get you anywhere.

Please elaborate.

Who were the experienced miners & BGSers?
I'm hopeless with names, but at least three players there are directly involved in their respective Factions' BGS activities.

Two players were experienced miners, and the large plurality of mining-gameplay questions came from them.

They are contributions to the popularity of the game but in other words, who have actually made significant discoveries, techniques or events in the game?
I'd say at least 200 players have actually made significant discoveries, techniques or events in the game.

Considering it is dynamic, I dont think that will get you anywhere.

Agreed. That's the thing with dynamic lighting, it will change depending on the circumstances, so what Ziljan is doing with his monitor doesn't really mean much. Looking at static screenshots that are months out of date and not representative of the final product doesn't mean much.

We have been told it looks really good. All we can do is hope that we agree with that when we see it.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
ok, it's already in the discussion. when i say 'you come across as obtuse' i mean i think you have not made the minimal effort to understand my point of view. that much should be clear when i specifically add that 'you are not'. this is clearly not and adhominem. that you resort to that is just in tune with your contribution to this sub thread, in which you don't really want to communicate, but pick on arguments.

I strongly suggest you say whatever you want to say without having to resort to an ad hominem that then you have to disclaim. Ad hominems stated in any kind of style or excused context like yours only suggest you are at a loss for actual arguments.

I have understood perfectly well your point. That you do not like my analysis of it does not mean your point of view was misunderstood. On the contrary, the review of your point of view reveals your own contradictions.

if you prefer to believe that 100 guys at frontier have been secretly working on incredible and 'exciting(tm)' things the whole year then that's your prerogative and i'm perfectly fine, i have no need to convince you otherwise.

I do not prefer to believe or disbelieve anything. And sure as heck I have not mentioned anything about "incredible or exciting(tm)" things.

I am simply questioning your obviously contradictory statements. With regards to your statement that FDEV had "practically neglected elite the whole year" before they "scrambled" 3-4 weeks ago (according to your own estimates), you are still ignoring the question:

When do you think, for example, that FDEV started actually working significantly in 3.3?

Last edited:
Top Bottom