24 Hours from now, we will witness the future of Exploration

Let me tell you guys...this was so much needed. Exploration now has actual gameplay to it (if you care about time while doing it, you ARE NOT an EXPLORER), the way you can scan planets to get actual points and marks in them so you don't have to follow longitude and latitude coordinates anymore is great, the night-vision in ships to fly at night which will also help to see stuff while flying around is awesome and looks great. All the new UI elements look nice, the sounds...oh dear the sounds while scanning a system and launching those probes...epic.

Then the Codex which looks nice and finally will make me read some things about the actual lore of the game plus some other stuff that others will be discovering, is good too.

I think Frontier is going in the right direction with all this, you might not like how exploration works because it will be something to learn and will take some time to get used to, but at least it finally adds gameplay to a part of the game that had nothing to it more than making a honk and move while looking at things.

Great job Frontier!!

Checking the misery from the negative nancy's in the stream chat? lol

Yeah how hilarious it must be to discover that someone has a different opinion than you, obviously they're complete idiots.

Let me tell you guys...this was so much needed. Exploration now has actual gameplay to it (if you care about time while doing it, you ARE NOT an EXPLORER)

Oh do shut up.

Edit: For clarity, you can think what you like about the changes and the content, you're as entitled to your opinion as anybody else, but nobody made you the arbiter of what an explorer is or isn't.

Last edited:
Yeah how hilarious it must be to discover that someone has a different opinion than you, obviously they're complete idiots.
Did I call them idiots? I don't believe so; so please rather don't put words in my mouth. Thanks, appreciate it.

And if you need a definition, a negative nancy is a person who is considered excessively and disagreeably pessimistic. Crying "RIP exploration" is exactly that; it's not constructive either.

Oh do shut up.

Edit: For clarity, you can think what you like about the changes and the content, you're as entitled to your opinion as anybody else, but nobody made you the arbiter of what an explorer is or isn't.

Guessing Frontier basically just took a whizz in your cereal, eh?

nobody made you the arbiter of what an explorer is or isn't.

I'll tell you what an explorer isn't, someone who plays video games as their hobby. Pretend explorers also aren't explorers. So dispense with the holier than thou attitude. It's a game. It's supposed to be interesting and enjoyable. We're not *actually* discovering stuff here. Just unwinding for a couple hours after work.

I guess at the moment they all are :D

You've won the internet today.

Explorers need to get hard.

Hmm. Double entendre?

Seriously though, great stream. The new scanning mechanic looks like it will be a bit easier and faster than I'd hoped, but still a massive improvement. Was hoping that there would be some challenge to actually resolving targets. Seem very fast. They took 10 minutes in that system and spent 8 of it talking instead of doing. I bet I could have been in an out of that system in under a minute with all objects scanned. Crazy fast.

Hmm. Double entendre?

Seriously though, great stream. The new scanning mechanic looks like it will be a bit easier and faster than I'd hoped, but still a massive improvement. Was hoping that there would be some challenge to actually resolving targets. Seem very fast. They took 10 minutes in that system and spent 8 of it talking instead of doing. I bet I could have been in an out of that system in under a minute with all objects scanned. Crazy fast.

Far left Adam said in the stream that he did a system with 120 planets in 25ish minutes. What would that take currently, 1.5 hours or more? I mean, just scanning that many bodies would take like 40 minutes in and of itself, not to even mention the flight time.

Yeah, as some of us have been trying to say, the new system will be faster overall for most players.

Note that I didn't say Explorers.

Or "Explorers."

Riôt

Hmm. Double entendre?

I have no idea what I meant, it just seemed like the right thing to say:)

I didn't get to see the stream. Did it seem like a worthy enough addition to get old sour es such as myself out in the black again, or is it pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

When it comes to exploration improvements, I'm hoping for better, not faster.

I didn't get to see the stream. Did it seem like a worthy enough addition to get old sour es such as myself out in the black again, or is it pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Just a different way to do the same. Not really any added new exploration activities. The good part is eyeballing planets is mostly gone, you'll be able to lob a few probes and get waypoints to the predefined POIs, so I guess it was worth it in general.

Just a different way to do the same. Not really any added new exploration activities. The good part is eyeballing planets is mostly gone, you'll be able to lob a few probes and get waypoints to the predefined POIs, so I guess it was worth it in general.

Basically you can scan a whole system in a few minutes, and it'll tell you which planets have something interesting down on them. Then you can fly up to them and do the probe stuff to find out exactly what and where the interesting stuff is. Definitely saves a lot of supercruise time since you know which planets have nothing worth looking at. All improvements in my opinion.

Anything that reduces pointless supercruise time is a win.

Top Bottom