24 Hours from now, we will witness the future of Exploration

The exploration tools look fantastic. Only one "concern" I have is you can't keep an eye on your scanner to know if someone is sneaking up on you to take a few pot shots if you're engrossed in the scanning screen...

I have no idea what I meant, it just seemed like the right thing to say:)

I didn't get to see the stream. Did it seem like a worthy enough addition to get old sour es such as myself out in the black again, or is it pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

When it comes to exploration improvements, I'm hoping for better, not faster.
Watch it. Ziggy happy.

The exploration tools look fantastic. Only one "concern" I have is you can't keep an eye on your scanner to know if someone is sneaking up on you to take a few pot shots if you're engrossed in the scanning screen...

Is that really likely to happen, though, in an undiscovered system?

Did I call them idiots? I don't believe so; so please rather don't put words in my mouth. Thanks, appreciate it.

And if you need a definition, a negative nancy is a person who is considered excessively and disagreeably pessimistic. Crying "RIP exploration" is exactly that; it's not constructive either.

That depends on whether the change does in fact 'kill exploration' (for want of a better way of expressing it) for the player who is making the comment doesn't it? If it does, then I guess saying 'RIP exploration' would be a fairly succinct expression of that player's opinion. As for 'constructive' what are you suggesting exactly, that if a player did feel these changes would have that effect on their gameplay they should explain why? Plenty of players did exactly that in the original thread about it.

Sadly though FDev seem to have interpreted what they had to say as being 'wahhh wahhh something about credits' given how many times the message about credits was reinforced in the stream. Personally I couldn't give two craps about credits from exploration. Thing is, there's obviously no way that any significant changes are going to be made, that's abundantly clear, so what is the point in giving more constructive feedback? It's a complete waste of time, they got my feedback last time and either ignored it, or decided that it didn't fit with their vision and really it doesn't matter which it was, the outcome is the same.

Guessing Frontier basically just took a whizz in your cereal, eh?

My concern has always been the same thing - that losing the quick system overview given by the current honk will mean spending more time in a system doing the new combined discovery and detail scan just to see whether you wanted to bother with scanning anything to begin with. Not to farm earthlikes or for any other form of credit-related activity because like I said, I don't give a crap about that, but simply to get an idea of whether there may be something of interest to me, judged by my own criteria.

From the stream, that's exactly how it is.

I like everything about the new system except the fact that there's a greater time commitment involved just to have an idea about what may be in a system and since that's the very first, unavoidable step, to me it's like being given a bunch of exciting and wonderful new toys but then explaining that you have to accept a good hard kick in the balls before you can play with them. For me and the way I enjoy exploration that's a terrible change and one that no amount of increased speed in detail scanning is going to compensate for. I also think it's pretty funny that people are raving about this as if it's some new super-deep mechanic because it just isn't and I'm still entirely confident that when people have done a few thousand system scans the novelty will have worn off considerably.

So yeah, I won't be saying 'RIP Exploration' myself but I do think it's something that I'll be spending less time on. Which is a shame because I'd been waiting all year for this update and until the reveal happened, it had never even entered my head that the result of it might be to make the activity less attractive to me.

However what actually sparked me up there was exactly what I said - some beaut yet again trying to tell me (and other players) what a 'true explorer' is. There's an exploration forum on the board where y'know, actual explorers go and people get laughed out of it when they rock up posting stuff like that. I just wish people could say 'I like this' or 'I don't like this' without feeling the need to season it with their own definitions of what an explorer is or isn't. I mean, imagine if we were talking about bounty hunting in a high res and I just piled into the thread blaring 'LOL HIGH RES? YOU'RE NO BOUNTY HUNTER UNLESS YOU HUNT IN A HAZ RES U N00B' You'd probably think I was a bit of a wouldn't you?

Watch it. Ziggy happy.

Hmmm. Did I miss the bit where we'll be able to quickly identify potentially interesting aspects of a system then Ziggy? (Genuine question because I did actually miss part of the stream)

Last edited:

How often does that happen when exploring out in the black?

How do we watch the video?
I'm finally free and able to watch it, but the livestream link seems to not allow replay, I can't find another link, and all the posts are about what was in it making it harder to find how to watch it. Does anyone know?

Update: The (non-live version) video is here.

Last edited:
Sadly though FDev seem to have interpreted what they had to say as being 'wahhh wahhh something about credits' given how many times the message about credits was reinforced in the stream. Personally I couldn't give two craps about credits from exploration.
Yeah, annoyed me too. Maybe because in the feedback thread so much static was created by those paraphrasing that position into just that, even despite dozens of posts constantly contradicting it. Or maybe we are unable to communicate in English. Because it was translated as : the traveler who just wants to honk and scoop.

Remind me, in the first live stream didn't they already say you would get paid for honking? Now, after they listened to the feedback, you get paid for honking. I bet they put their whole team on that solution.

Bless 'em :)

How often does that happen when exploring out in the black?

Literally never but people do use the ADS to scan systems they haven't visited before in the bubble which I think is what is concerning those players. Can't say that it seems a major issue to me but I guess the beta will give us a better idea about that.

Hmmm. Did I miss the bit where we'll be able to quickly identify potentially interesting aspects of a system then Ziggy? (Genuine question because I did actually miss part of the stream)

I suppose that depends on how you define this, but in general, I would say that those who are specifically looking for uniqueness, quirks, and other such anomalies or specifics with the Stellar Forge itself are probably the most (negatively) affected by the new mechanics. You just can't see that stuff as quickly any more.

Since we can't land on anything but the "least interesting" planet types, and it so far appears that this isn't going to change for Beyond, what then might you be thinking of when you say "interesting aspects," if not the above?

Riôt

I didn't watch the stream back to back (yet), but still I gotta ask:

What's the point of the ...spectrometer?... white glyph alignment mechanic, when the interface simply shows the purple planet outlines which you just have to click? Literally you just do a 360° and click all the Barney the dinosaur pizzas...

Yeah, annoyed me too. Maybe because in the feedback thread so much static was created by those paraphrasing that position into just that, even despite dozens of posts constantly contradicting it. Or maybe we are unable to communicate in English. Because it was translated as : the traveler who just wants to honk and scoop.

Remind me, in the first live stream didn't they already say you would get paid for honking? Now, after they listened to the feedback, you get paid for honking. I bet they put their whole team on that solution.

Bless 'em :)

As you say it was the sheer amount of noise created by those who will remain nameless who felt the need to go on and on and on about cherry-picking high value planets when when we'd explained repeatedly that it had nothing to do with that. I actually reported one of the worst culprits for it eventually, not that it made a scrap of difference and ended up stopping posting in the thread because the mods complete failure to prevent it meant that I was going to be looking at a long, long ban if hadn't, since I was way past breaking point with it.

Frankly, the way feedback was dealt with was a complete and utter farce.

No, you didn't miss it. But I had no expectations about that one, knowing Frontier's record. So that has been a loss for a long time.

I'm happy because the new mechanics look good. I can't say anything about the longevity of them though.

My concern has always been the same thing - that losing the quick system overview given by the current honk will mean spending more time in a system doing the new combined discovery and detail scan just to see whether you wanted to bother with scanning anything to begin with. Not to farm earthlikes or for any other form of credit-related activity because like I said, I don't give a crap about that, but simply to get an idea of whether there may be something of interest to me, judged by my own criteria.

I really don't think the system map is going away. From what I can tell that mechanic is totally unchanged. If it's unchanged, then a dev would be unlikely to spend any time on it in a livestream, no?

The only thing that seems to have changed is the approach-and-scan mechanic, which is irrelevant if you take your cues from the system map after honk. I am curious, however, about if there's changes to the honk when it comes to widely separated multi-star systems, there was an off-hand comment from someone, somewhere....I think...

From the whole stream, the exploration revamp was IMO by far the most "meh". Especially the fact that the new scanning minigames ARE the exploration revamp. I still had hopes there would be actually new exploration activities, more interactions with the environment, more things to do while actually exploring etc. At least there's no more eyeballing planets, that's a plus.

That depends on whether the change does in fact 'kill exploration' (for want of a better way of expressing it) for the player who is making the comment doesn't it? If it does, then I guess saying 'RIP exploration' would be a fairly succinct expression of that player's opinion. As for 'constructive' what are you suggesting exactly, that if a player did feel these changes would have that effect on their gameplay they should explain why? Plenty of players did exactly that in the original thread about it.
You know what got me, hey - what made me write my post, it was the way those folks were expressing themselves.
It's fine if you don't like an idea, but why not do it in a way that is helpful?
"RIP Exploration", or "Boring" or "This isn't gameplay" .. how does that help? Why is it RIP? Why is it boring? What is boring about it? Why isn't it gameplay? It looks, acts and makes a noise like gameplay.. so what's ungameplay-ey about it? Go onto the forums, provide feedback. Even if they don't act on your feedback, it helps them further down the line with other decisions (I know, I'm developer and I value client feedback, good or bad; we use that feedback going forward. We might not adjust an existing feature, but we do utilise the feedback. Bad feedback is incredibly useful).

Doing it during the stream and having your messages deleted by the mod's because they are in bad taste, or rude.. that screams of a petulant child mentality.

Sadly though FDev seem to have interpreted what they had to say as being 'wahhh wahhh something about credits' given how many times the message about credits was reinforced in the stream. Personally I couldn't give two craps about credits from exploration. Thing is, there's obviously no way that any significant changes are going to be made, that's abundantly clear, so what is the point in giving more constructive feedback? It's a complete waste of time, they got my
feedback last time and either ignored it, or decided that it didn't fit with their vision and really it doersn't matter which it was, the outcome is the same
Frontier aren't going to up and re-do everything though; they have their goals, they take player feedback on board and adjust where they can; they can't please everybody all the time, nor should they try to IMHO.

.. et al
Which is a valid concern, of course; but at the end of the day, the game needs to more forward - that's not always in the direction we'd prefer.

However what actually sparked me up there was exactly what I said - some beaut yet again trying to tell me (and other players) what a 'true explorer' is. There's an exploration forum on the board where y'know, actual explorers go and people get laughed out of it when they rock up posting stuff like that. I just wish people could say 'I like this' or 'I don't like this' without feeling the need to season it with their own definitions of what an explorer is or isn't. I mean, imagine if we were talking about bounty hunting in a high res and I just piled into the thread blaring 'LOL HIGH RES? YOU'RE NO BOUNTY HUNTER UNLESS YOU HUNT IN A HAZ RES U N00B' You'd probably think I was a bit of a wouldn't you?
I was only responding to the first bit "shut up" at the time. Heh.

I can understand where you are coming from though, I don't like the whole "you're not a real X unless you Y" thing either.
Hell, I've got 12+ years experience in development, and I got told the other day that I'm not a real developer if I sometimes struggle naming a variable. I mean, it's the most asinine statement one could make with no basis in fact at all; and struggling to name a variable is one of the most common problems millions of developers experience.

"You're not a real man unless you X" .. I'm sorry, last I checked, I was sporting a lovely pair of XY chromosomes; can't get more real man than that. :p

People who run around spouting nonsense like that are, imho, very narrow-minded by limiting knowledge to their own experiences; I've learnt to ignore it.

I suppose that depends on how you define this, but in general, I would say that those who are specifically looking for uniqueness, quirks, and other such anomalies or specifics with the Stellar Forge itself are probably the most (negatively) affected by the new mechanics. You just can't see that stuff as quickly any more.

Since we can't land on anything but the "least interesting" planet types, and it so far appears that this isn't going to change for Beyond, what then might you be thinking of when you say "interesting aspects," if not the above?

Riôt

I'm thinking of exactly what you said above mate. That's the problem. The strange, unique, beautiful and otherwise unusual is exactly what I'm looking for when exploring. It would be fair to say I'm somewhat disillusioned.

Frontier aren't going to up and re-do everything though; they have their goals, they take player feedback on board and adjust where they can; they can't please everybody all the time, nor should they try to IMHO.

That's the funny thing here - I agree with you completely. Unfortunately it doesn't make it any more palatable when it's your turn in the barrel though.

I really don't think the system map is going away. From what I can tell that mechanic is totally unchanged. If it's unchanged, then a dev would be unlikely to spend any time on it in a livestream, no?

Dude. The current honk reveals the whole basic system map in what, five seconds? That is gone. Completely and utterly gone. That new 'approach and scan' mechanic replaces it completely, detail scanning and discovery scanning are now a single unified process. The only thing the initial honk does now is reveal the star, there is no way to get a quick overview of a system's bodies and their orbital relationships without using this new scanning mechanic. That's been clear since the first reveal over a month ago.

Last edited:
From the whole stream, the exploration revamp was IMO by far the most "meh". Especially the fact that the new scanning minigames ARE the exploration revamp. I still had hopes there would be actually new exploration activities, more interactions with the environment, more things to do while actually exploring etc. At least there's no more eyeballing planets, that's a plus.

We've yet to see how they've changed USS's, and this whole Scenario thing. I do hope they've added more activities; otherwise it's exactly the same toy, just wrapped in a different colour wrapping paper.

Doing it during the stream and having your messages deleted by the mod's because they are in bad taste, or rude.. that screams of a petulant child mentality.

Your first mistake is even reading the chat in the first place.

No reasonable discussion ever goes on in chat venues like that so really what's the point in reading them.

I close that tab down each and every time I watch a live stream.

No, you didn't miss it. But I had no expectations about that one, knowing Frontier's record. So that has been a loss for a long time.

I'm happy because the new mechanics look good. I can't say anything about the longevity of them though.

Please, not another multi-pew disaster...

Top Bottom