The "Next Major Milestone" & "New Elite Era"?

So what are your thoughts on that? What could that be? Legs or Atmospherics?

My two cents on atmospherics. I do not know if all planets will be land-able, but only basic atmospherics will be disappointing and do not suffice to be called "Next Era". I have just seen a video with Lord Braben showcasing the technology of creating volumetric clouds of what was supposed to be the outer layer/higher atmosphere of a gas giant back in 2012 yet we have not even one single cloud in 2019 (almost). :|:|

[video=youtube;iTBvpd3_Vqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBvpd3_Vqk&t=284s[/video]

I really don't see atmospheric planets being the next paid DLC as it will pretty much be the same sales pitch as horizons. First DLC land on airless planets and drive about collecting rocks, second DLC land on planets with some kind of atmosphere and drive about collecting rocks (if people are expecting anything more that a far prettier version of what we have now when it comes to Atmos, I believe they are high and urge them to contact me so I can have some of what they are having)

It wouldn't really be that big of a splash for sales IMO, later down the line, yeah I could see it working .. but I can see some reviews saying "Elite: Dangerous' new paid content - planets! ... again ... and how long will it take to roll out this one?"

I actually don't care what comes first, as long as Elite develops in a cool way, just like with the upcoming 3.3 update. (I really love, what i saw so far)

Atmospheric worlds would be very cool, as i'd love to land on volcanic worlds, drive SRVs through incredible and alien worlds or take my Morray Starboat for an underwater trip...

On the other hand, repairing ones vessel by manually welding stuff to other stuff, explore ghostly generation ships in zero-g, just with a flashlight, or experience planets, installations and surface features from human perspective would be not a bit less intersting.

So whatever comes our way, just give it to me :)

I am expecting it to be Atmospheric planets. This could include gas giants. Also what atmospheric planets is another question though. It could be basic ones to atmospherics with life and biomes and earthlikes. Time will tell. Hopefully we will get a glimps before Christmas.

I actually don't care what comes first, as long as Elite develops in a cool way, just like with the upcoming 3.3 update. (I really love, what i saw so far)

Atmospheric worlds would be very cool, as i'd love to land on volcanic worlds, drive SRVs through incredible and alien worlds or take my Morray Starboat for an underwater trip...

On the other hand, repairing ones vessel by manually welding stuff to other stuff, explore ghostly generation ships in zero-g, just with a flashlight, or experience planets, installations and surface features from human perspective would be not a bit less intersting.

Couldn't agree more.

I really don't see atmospheric planets being the next paid DLC as it will pretty much be the same sales pitch as horizons. First DLC land on airless planets and drive about collecting rocks, second DLC land on planets with some kind of atmosphere and drive about collecting rocks (if people are expecting anything more that a far prettier version of what we have now when it comes to Atmos, I believe they are high and urge them to contact me so I can have some of what they are having)

It wouldn't really be that big of a splash for sales IMO, later down the line, yeah I could see it working .. but I can see some reviews saying "Elite: Dangerous' new paid content - planets! ... again ... and how long will it take to roll out this one?"

So what do you think that paid content might be? I agree with you that if they don't add enjoyable game play mechanics to atmospherics, it will be as boring as horizons. Scooping a gas giant and being able to navigate your ship through storms and winds for reward is one example. Same goes for space legs though.

Yeah bro .. the possibilities are endless. The more I think about it, the more I think we are getting neither lol. I would personally be over the moon if we get both. (Don't wake me up) :D

For me, it wouldn't be " land on planets with some kind of atmosphere and drive about collecting rocks", but "fly through clouds and all sorts of wheather effects; play hide and seek while dogfighting".

It also would be "make the galaxy more real" as this is, what landable planets did for me: the pure knowledge, those celestial bodies are more than just pretty balls as background "picture" did so much for me.

Finally, the driving around in VR - be it for rock collection or anything else - is just an awesome experience. The very idea of "beeing" on those alien worlds, the sheer visual beauty of a gas giant hangign over me, fading into blue haze gives me shivers of joy ... :)

So yes, I would very much prefer shose planets with atmosphere as next paied DLC.

I cant believe noone's said OpenOnly yet. Weird. Hohum.

Edit: oh its ok. Checked the other thread mentioned above, post #13. Harmony restored.

Last edited:
I think the next chapter of the game will be Atmospherics, maybe called Elite Dangerous: Heavens. Two DLC's, the first being Gas Giants and the second being Atmospheric Landable Worlds, both free to LEP owners of course. It just seems like a logical progression to me seeing how the tech to make gas giant content would be directly applicable to developing atmospheric planets too, plus Frontier could sell them both individually as "landing permits".

Also, David was talking about gas giants in earnest just a bit over a year ago, and the new 3.3 mechanics will allow us to probe and map worlds we can't even land on yet. This suggests to me that landing on them might not be too far behind.

I think the next chapter of the game will be Atmospherics, maybe called Elite Dangerous: Heavens. Two DLC's, the first being Gas Giants and the second being Atmospheric Landable Worlds, both free to LEP owners of course. It just seems like a logical progression to me seeing how the tech to make gas giant content would be directly applicable to developing atmospheric planets too, plus Frontier could sell them both individually as "landing permits".

I like the name! :)

Willing to bet my house it will be atmospheric landings. The fact that they put Ice worlds on hold, and talked about a new exciting technology being developed. Volumetric clouds are extremely difficult to get right without being a massive performance hog, have noticed a few sims starting to use new tech, am almost certain the devs are working on something that will allow the whole thing to look amazing + have minimal impact for med/low end PC's.

End of 2019 is my guess. Maybe Gas giants before that

None of the above. Some epic galactic warfare upgrade to power play using the delayed fleet carrier mechanics paired with squadrons and the new installations mentioned in the livestream. humans vs goids, Feds vs imps vs alliance, bubble vs Colonia, new ships, new weapons, all out war. moar pew pew, moar salt.

Or it’ll be shooting rocks on atmospherics with a new “battle” SRV type to earn further guardian upgrades to take on some as yet unseen thargoid mothership.

o7

I don't care actually ;)

I still enjoy a lot playing the game as it is and I'm very excited about what is coming for 3.3 so honestly whatever float your boat FDev ! I'll buy it, play it and enjoy it :p

But I have the feeling that introduction of space legs will be part of it...still can't forget all the space-leg / interior of the ship realted footages that were in the Krait trailer...all with the game engine...I would see interior of ship / stations as part of the new era + introduction to atmospheric planets.

Still no landing / walking on full-life planets but gas giant and other planets of this kind...

Can't see atmospherics being a 20-30€ addon though.
If they're pushing for a wider playerbase I believe they're gearing up for spacelegs.
On the other hand they might be happy with how things are going and sticking with atmos can be a wise choice. As the flying and driving is super solid and legs could tear the whole foundation down if it's janky or unconvincing.
Hell, I will buy anything anyway :)

If they're pushing for a wider playerbase I believe they're gearing up for spacelegs.
On the other hand they might be happy with how things are going and sticking with atmos can be a wise choice. As the flying and driving is super solid and legs could tear the whole foundation down if it's janky or unconvincing.
Hell, I will buy anything anyway :)

Depending on implementation I would be happy with £20-30 expansion of atmospheric planets.

I can.

Gas Giants Feature List (theoretical):

• Can now fly down into gas giant atmospheres, many of which can be very beautiful but dangerous too.
  • Hazardous weather like storms (lightning, winds, particulate, acid rain, etc) which can cause a variety of damage and be very difficult to fly in. Lower atmosphere can have damaging heat and pressures too, fly too low and you’ll lose the ship.
  • Implements new pirate or rebel outposts hidden down in GG atmospheres. Wanted players can earn faction rep to land there for benefits, bounty hunters can fly there to hunt for lucrative targets.
  • Implements GG atmosphere mining. Can harvest gas pockets to refine and store in 1T containers to be sold.
  • Implements GG lifeforms. Procedurally generated and randomized life of a variety of sizes and types which can be hunted and scanned for data to sell. Some lifeforms can be dangerous too.

Atmospheric Landings Feature List (theoretical):

• Can now fly down onto planets with atmospheres. This includes ELW’s, WW’s, AW’s, volcanic worlds, etc.
  • Opens up many more procedural surface outpost locations for players to use.
  • Implements a huge variety of new surface POI’s for all playstyles, both natural (galaxy wide) and unnatural (man or alien made).
  • Implements much larger and more varied cityscapes, with much more to do on surfaces.
  • Many worlds have active weather similar to GG’s above, much of which is dangerous to fly in.
  • Huge new variety in planet surface generation, providing some incredibly breathtaking scenery.
  • Some planets have life on them, both animal and plant, which can be scanned for data to sell or hunted for carcasses to sell.

Just off the top of my head. :D

So what are your thoughts on that? What could that be? Legs or Atmospherics?

My two cents on atmospherics. I do not know if all planets will be land-able, but only basic atmospherics will be disappointing and do not suffice to be called "Next Era". I have just seen a video with Lord Braben showcasing the technology of creating volumetric clouds of what was supposed to be the outer layer/higher atmosphere of a gas giant back in 2012 yet we have not even one single cloud in 2019 (almost). :|:|

Given they canned the planetary upgrades for ice planets in the Q4 beyond update my guess its atmo planets next up.

Top Bottom