Patch Notes Update Beyond - Chapter Four - Beta (Week 2)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I have been tempted to swap out the rear passenger module for a cargo hold, but it's a bit more work IRL than ED's outfitting screen [haha]

my seats fold down, therefore its cargo AND seats... WOW 21st century technology! :p i dont even have to go back to the main dealer to outfit it!

Because there's already too few exploration tools in the game, to the point where you can fit everything you need in a Hauler, and still have a slot left over for an optional extra. With this change, there are now even fewer reasons to sacrifice jump range for more optional modules slots, meaning that "do everything" exploration ships won't have to sacrifice jump range for utility. This in turn means fewer interesting decisions that need to be made during outfitting, and that means fewer interesting decisions will need to be made out in the black as well.

For example, the basic exploration Hauler can't equip both Shields (making landing on planets much safer) and an SRV (can only be used after landing on planets) without sacrificing necessary exploration equipment. Now there's no need to choose.

For another example, my exploration/passenger ship Emerald Dawn (an Asp X) cannot equip two from this list of three modules, due to the limitations in optional slots: AMFU, repair limpets, or a cargo hold. This limits my choices to an AFMU (giving me greater freedom to "hot jump"), or a cargo hold. I also can't equip repair limpets, for that I'd need a cargo hold as well, which would require sacrificing some basic exploration equipment.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the limitations that we have to overcome that makes better gameplay. Fewer limitations results in less interesting gameplay, especially in the part of the game that doesn't have the luxury of instantaneous outfitting changes.

So I've read your response and I appreciate you explaining your view. I'll respond in kind but rp here already put it in simpler terms...

Sorry. I totally disagree with you.

The more flexibility we have, the better.

To expand my response though Darkfyre99; and to pre-amble it... I am a bubble dweller but I am also a one ship, one fit player who heavily works the background sim. I don't hot-swap modules constantly and I fly a support focused Python equipped for exploration and mission running. You can check out the fit here if you are interested. This change means that I can drop my ADS in favor of a fuel transfer limpet so that during those times I decide to leave the bubble I can fully support others while still being able to engage in exploration content.

I will say I do agree with the motivation behind your desire to have meaningful fitting choices. However I have a different perspective on exploration and fitting. I personally see the ultra-light-weight super high jump range focus to be a problem with exploration and not as a good thing. Sure traveling fast across the galaxy can be nice but these high range ships should be niche, not the exploration meta.

In my opinion these light weight tissue paper exploration builds being the meta is a huge problem when it comes to exploration and the only reason players have been able to get away with using this mindset 100% of the time while exploring is because outside of pilot error there is literally zero danger while exploring. This makes exploration gameplay meh and relegates it entirely to sight seeing, especially for extremely experienced high skill pilots with extremely low error rates.

The FSS becoming a module part of all ships makes sense on so many levels; starting at the fact that logically no space craft this far into the timeline of the Elite galaxy would realistically be traveling without the ability to identify bodies and signals in a system as an innate and built in part of the ship. Moreover only 6 of our currently 36 available ships in game have a class 1 internal. Every single other hull in game when fitting a discovery scanner is putting a tiny module in a compartment that is at least twice the size of the module placed in it. This is unrealistic space management on a ship that is illogical and very frustrating for myself and a lot of people in my circle who have been forced to underclass their internals for years to accomplish exploration in larger ships.

As more and more content is able to be engaged with outside the bubble I suspect you will become more appreciative of this change as engaging with that new exploration content is likely going to require or encourage the use of new or existing modules.

Stellar Forge

• Fixed some Class V gas giants being overly bright pink

Please FDEV for the love of God....DON'T RUIN PINK GAS GIANTS. Notable discoveries such as this shouldn't be tampered with. It's not healthy for the discover, as well as the community as a whole. Visiting places like these is something many commanders have, and will enjoy.

Perhaps I could be misinterpreting this patch note, and the gas giant(s) will still be pink....but I have my doubts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9v0dnz/the_death_of_pink_class_v_gas_giants/?

Last edited:
  • Switched the Discovery Scanner to a built in module, that is fitted to all ships. This frees up a slot for players to use. Refunded credits too

ROFL - so a bug is reported that it's possible to use the FSS without even having a discovery scanner fitted to your ship.
The fix?
Make the discovery scanner a built in module.
Genius! [haha]

So, on that note, when mining drops today can everyone complain that it's possible to use the "Pulse Wave Scanner" without actually having one fitted to an internal slot! ;)

Take your time. I don't get out of work for 5 more hours.

Also, space bar isn't working in the quick reply box, have to go advanced. Not sure if its an edge update or forum thing. Probably the former.

Downloading...
rd3Ewkf.jpg

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom