Patch Notes Update Beyond - Chapter Four - Beta (Week 2)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So I've read your response and I appreciate you explaining your view. I'll respond in kind but rp here already put it in simpler terms...

To expand my response though Darkfyre99; and to pre-amble it... I am a bubble dweller but I am also a one ship, one fit player who heavily works the background sim. I don't hot-swap modules constantly and I fly a support focused Python equipped for exploration and mission running. You can check out the fit here if you are interested. This change means that I can drop my ADS in favor of a fuel transfer limpet so that during those times I decide to leave the bubble I can fully support others while still being able to engage in exploration content.

I will say I do agree with the motivation behind your desire to have meaningful fitting choices. However I have a different perspective on exploration and fitting. I personally see the ultra-light-weight super high jump range focus to be a problem with exploration and not as a good thing. Sure traveling fast across the galaxy can be nice but these high range ships should be niche, not the exploration meta.

In my opinion these light weight tissue paper exploration builds being the meta is a huge problem when it comes to exploration and the only reason players have been able to get away with using this mindset 100% of the time while exploring is because outside of pilot error there is literally zero danger while exploring. This makes exploration gameplay meh and relegates it entirely to sight seeing, especially for extremely experienced high skill pilots with extremely low error rates.

The FSS becoming a module part of all ships makes sense on so many levels; starting at the fact that logically no space craft this far into the timeline of the Elite galaxy would realistically be traveling without the ability to identify bodies and signals in a system as an innate and built in part of the ship. Moreover only 6 of our currently 36 available ships in game have a class 1 internal. Every single other hull in game when fitting a discovery scanner is putting a tiny module in a compartment that is at least twice the size of the module placed in it. This is unrealistic space management on a ship that is illogical and very frustrating for myself and a lot of people in my circle who have been forced to underclass their internals for years to accomplish exploration in larger ships.

As more and more content is able to be engaged with outside the bubble I suspect you will become more appreciative of this change as engaging with that new exploration content is likely going to require or encourage the use of new or existing modules.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I didn't expect people to agree with me (I'm well aware my play style falls outside the mainstream), I just wanted to express my disappointment at rather than having new outfitting choices added to the potential exploration toolkit, we've had yet another one removed. I'll survive this disappointment, like I have the others. This is still the best dang space ship game out there, bar none.

Additional axes needed for 3rd person controls.... This might be difficult - more fun ahead I'm sure!

Super fast update download - thanks :D

ETA: Ignore the axes comment - they just sorted out the previous 'hidden' one - brilliant!

Dang it. There's too few dedicated exploration tools as it is. Now there's even fewer interesting outfitting decisions to make for the explorer. :mad:

I don't understand why you would feel this way? Making the FSS/Disco Scanner built in to all ships means *everyone* from all walks of life get more versatility. It also means its easier to have exploration capable small ships and those explorers in ships with enough exploration modules can now justify carrying more survival or support based equipment like repair and fuel transfer limpets.

No, I get it. So now we need 1 module for exploration (the surface scanner) but at least 8 for mining! So outfitting a ship for discovery is less of a thing now (apart from the weight). I can see how that could be taken as a belittling of that career path. But hey, everyone loves free stuff right! /s

Personally, and this is pure speculation, I think FD may have ballsed up slightly by making the FSS functionality (along with all the analysis mode stuff) fundamentally built-in to the game. Then, when it was reported as a bug that you could use the FSS without fitting an ADS someone suddenly went ... "oh! crap!! we didn't think of that". The fix? Claim that the ADS is now a built-in. Like I said earlier - genius!

Personally, and this is pure speculation, I think FD may have ballsed up slightly by making the FSS functionality (along with all the analysis mode stuff) fundamentally built-in to the game. Then, when it was reported as a bug that you could use the FSS without fitting an ADS someone suddenly went ... "oh! crap!! we didn't think of that". The fix? Claim that the ADS is now a built-in. Like I said earlier - genius!

Whilst it wouldn't surprise me if FD did that, in fairness I think they listened to all the players saying either to make the DS built-in or combine the two modules into one (esp. given the number of mining modules being introduced).

However, where they have done a quick and easy fix is in the control bindings where it's just a copy and paste job from the multi-crew section into the DSS section - see screenshot :)

JGAd7o1.jpg

Last edited:
The 'yaw' axis (to move the scanner needle) now has Reversed as standard - they snuck that in beautifully!

Getting more impressed every minute - now out to mine a friendly asteroid or two :)

Edited again - I was right in the first place - trist left, goes left, right goes right :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately the control binding for the Tuning axis still has no 'Inverted/Regular' option. But there are two workarounds for those needing to invert the axis:

1) you can edit the bindings file manually and set this option to '1' (it's there in the file, it's just not exposed in the UI). Always remember to take a backup before doing this AND either move the backup file to another folder or edit the file header giving it a new name (just renaming the file is not enough)

2) what also worked for me is to not enter the Options-Controls menu whilst in the FSS, but to enter it when in cockpit view, for some reason the axis direction was then set correctly.

No, I get it. So now we need 1 module for exploration (the surface scanner) but at least 8 for mining! So outfitting a ship for discovery is less of a thing now (apart from the weight). I can see how that could be taken as a belittling of that career path. But hey, everyone loves free stuff right! /s

Yes you are likely correct. As to exploration though and module count. Doesn't bother me too much. Mining can be done with just a mining laser. Exploration can be done with the Built-in FSS and DSS. But there are a load of optional extras for both that can enhance your time in either scenario.

I don't think I can emphasize enough how wonderful making the discovery scanner a built in module is. Optional internal slots are valuable and there are far too many other things that the average CMDR needs, so discovery scanners were always going to be passed over by everyone except dedicated explorers. No longer. Would you also consider adding a dedicated keybind for the scanner?

Also, in my opinion you should consider giving the "standard docking computer" the same treatment. Not really very "standard" if it doesn't even have a dedicated slot, is it? It's little things like this that could improve quality of life without unbalancing the game in any way, because I'll tell you right now that I'll pass over a docking computer every time if I have choose between it and basically anything else.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom