Which Krait would you take? MKII vs Phantom

The phantom is a scrap ship that was only designed and balanced with the idea of "reductionism." That is, making it worse in literally every way to the MK2 in every actual gameplay scenario except for a single number. Sure the jump range is bigger. But it'll do everything worse than the Krait. So there's literally no point in it existing.

You could not be more wrong. Take your time to outfit both on the Coriolis beta page and carefully compare the stats. The Phantom can be almost 100 m/s faster than the MKII in full combat outfit and has far superior pitch/roll/yaw. You can also go absolute nuts with what you put into those four hardpoints, size 7 plant and distributor have you more than covered.

Yes you lose one hardpoint and the fighter bay and get slightly less internal space, but it's still a good ship.

Given how exploration is still the same joke of the gameplay loop as it is since launch (minus the new changes which I DOUBT will make your ship actually mean anything), jump range just means you go places faster.

The phantom is a scrap ship that was only designed and balanced with the idea of "reductionism." That is, making it worse in literally every way to the MK2 in every actual gameplay scenario except for a single number. Sure the jump range is bigger. But it'll do everything worse than the Krait. So there's literally no point in it existing.

They did the exact same things with the Alliance Ships. Each Chieftain derivative became worse and worse. Let's remove the large for TWO mediums which is less damage efficient and less energy efficient at the same time! Yeah! And add one more module slot but also shrink the rest of them so the actual utility of the ship becomes zilch! Oh, the Crusader? Let's remove one of those mediums and keep the internals the same but make both of those vessels even slower!

They can only do combat in slightly different manners but the end result is that the Chieftain was the best and most stand out design to begin with with an excellent load out. The rest are just, AGAIN, balanced by reductionism and weakning of random traits which severely impacts their overall efficacy to be nothing more than gimmick ships.

I expect the Phantom to be the same exact thing. A stripped down hull that does nothing the Krait can't do better except make a bit more jump range.

No thanks. Remove the phantom from the game and stop bloating the game with useless ships. It's literally just asset copying and pasting, no different than the Chieftain's derivatives.

Oh wait it has a reduced fuel tank? HAHAHA yeah what a joke. Delete the Phantom and give the Mamba some extra size 1 slots for some bloody utility! And a bigger fuel tank, bigger weight, and larger FSD to compensate for all of that while you're at it!
Not just bigger jump range also faster and more agile and from what they say more cargo space.. not sure that's gonna be the case...

You could not be more wrong. Take your time to outfit both on the Coriolis beta page and carefully compare the stats. The Phantom can be almost 100 m/s faster than the MKII in full combat outfit and has far superior pitch/roll/yaw. You can also go absolute nuts with what you put into those four hardpoints, size 7 plant and distributor have you more than covered.

Yes you lose one hardpoint and the fighter bay and get slightly less internal space, but it's still a good ship.

Exactly. It's close to the same price and sacrifices one large hardpoint and the sizes of some optional internals (and the SLF) for greater speed and jump range. I think this is a very good tradeoff. Let's hope the new specs showing on Coriolis are accurate as this will make her the first serious deep space explorer in YEARS.

Not just bigger jump range also faster and more agile and from what they say more cargo space.. not sure that's gonna be the case...

Less cargo space. 188T compared to the Mk2's 228T.

<snip>
Let's hope the new specs showing on Coriolis are accurate as this will make her the first serious deep space explorer in YEARS.

I forsee a lot of explorers out in the black flying Asp X's returning home to lay their hands on this one.
Jump range is one thing, but with all those internals you can now fit all the little extras you wan't. I allways found that the Asp X lacking in internals, especially now that the FSD booster has become available.

According to Discord, EDCD server, the developer of Coriolis has managed to get hold of the Krait Phantom stats.
We have 6, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3, 2 optional internals. 270t hull.
Havent played with it on beta Coriolis yet.
Prices are not confirmed...

I thought, according to them, they have guesstimate stats, not real stats. Also, EDShipyard has different stats.

By all means, let's keep speculating guys. Super fun...

Take your time to outfit both on EDShipyard and carefully compare the stats... Or you know, just wait until the patch releases...

I thought, according to them, they have guesstimate stats, not real stats. Also, EDShipyard has different stats.

By all means, let's keep speculating guys. Super fun...

Take your time to outfit both on EDShipyard and carefully compare the stats... Or you know, just wait until the patch releases...
Based on what I read on Discord, my understanding (which he has just confirmed) is that he (Coriolis developer) reached out to FDev and got an answer in the form of a spreadsheet. But you are still right, we are in beta and nothing is for certain until release.

Edit: Text in bold

Last edited:
I forsee a lot of explorers out in the black flying Asp X's returning home to lay their hands on this one.
Jump range is one thing, but with all those internals you can now fit all the little extras you wan't. I allways found that the Asp X lacking in internals, especially now that the FSD booster has become available.

Tbh I'm at a loss what to even use the 8th internal slot for. Exploration essentials are 6: scoop, fsd booster, dual AFMU, vehicle hangar and DSS. That fits into any of the exploration ships, even the DBX. The ADS will be gone after the update. At this point I could fit a cargo rack and either repair, fuel or collector limpets. That's indeed only possible on the Phantom. I might want a shield though to prevent docking/landing mishaps and damage from welcome parties interdicting me. The AspE still can do, but is then full. Now I have a single leftover slot on the Phantom. Limpets no longer work, since no room to store them. Fighter hangar for sightseeing runs can't be fitted. My choices are now limited to either a cargo rack, an additional fuel tank or a third AFMU. The most useful choice is the tank, but that hurts jump range, though it helps covering more distance without scooping.

Fake news/rumour, one of the Coriolis programmers mentioned on discord, that Krait Phantom and Mamba stats are guestimates. Coriolis itself says not all stats 100% confirmed under announcements.

Based on what I read on Discord, my understanding (which he has just confirmed) is that he (Coriolis developer) reached out to FDev and got an answer in the form of a spreadsheet. But you are still right, we are in beta and nothing is for certain until release.

Edit: Text in bold

Which is it guys?

Tbh I'm at a loss what to even use the 8th internal slot for. Exploration essentials are 6: scoop, fsd booster, dual AFMU, vehicle hangar and DSS.
<snip>

Yes, but it's all about prefrences. I prefer to have shields and a little cargo space and maybe even a collector, especially if I'm exploring not too far from the bubble, which I sometimes do.
I loose a little jump range, but that's ok. With the Phantom, I don't have to compromise.

I go by what I read on the EDCD Discord server. He has also confirmed the stats on the Coriolis GITHub here. This is the repository where Coriolis pulls it's data from.
There is also a comment on the Coriolis beta under announcements which states: Mamba and Krait Phantom have confirmed stats on beta now! beta.coriolis.io

You choose :)

The guy I quoted said he is going by what was said on that discord too... Did you read it?

The guy I quoted said he is going by what was said on that discord too... Did you read it?
Yes I did. I don't know where/when he was on Discord or what he read, but there is a discussion going on Discord about this where the developer confirms that he has recived a spreadsheet from FDev. The "confirmed stats" were put into Coriolis today. It could be a bluff, but I doubt it.

As a guest on that particular Discord, I don't want to put an invite here, but there is an invite link on the Coriolis GIThub page.

Last edited:
Interesting that they've already increased the price of the Phantom by almost 10M then...

If they're legit, I'm glad that the Core Internals are the same and the shield size is the same, less engineering I'll have to do to give it a proper test. I'm still not seeing this drastic difference in pitch people are boasting.

Last edited:
Tbh I'm at a loss what to even use the 8th internal slot for. Exploration essentials are 6: scoop, fsd booster, dual AFMU, vehicle hangar and DSS. That fits into any of the exploration ships, even the DBX. The ADS will be gone after the update. At this point I could fit a cargo rack and either repair, fuel or collector limpets. That's indeed only possible on the Phantom. I might want a shield though to prevent docking/landing mishaps and damage from welcome parties interdicting me. The AspE still can do, but is then full. Now I have a single leftover slot on the Phantom. Limpets no longer work, since no room to store them. Fighter hangar for sightseeing runs can't be fitted. My choices are now limited to either a cargo rack, an additional fuel tank or a third AFMU. The most useful choice is the tank, but that hurts jump range, though it helps covering more distance without scooping.

Shields are kind of an important thing for planetary landing as even the slightest bump on the surface without shields will damage the hull, even if only a little bit.

So in the end, you need Fuel Scoop, one large AFMU, FSD Booster, Shield, SRV bay, DSS, ADS. That's 7 slots, leaving the 8th for a cargo bay. ideally a Corrosion Resistant one. Now if the ADS and DSS are being merfed into one, that leaves an additional slot, which you could use to fit in a class 1A fuel limpet controller just in case you're out in deep space and you hear of a pilot stranded without fuel. You know, do the Fuel Rat thing.

Interesting that they've already increased the price of the Phantom by almost 10M then...

If they're legit, I'm glad that the Core Internals are the same and the shield size is the same, less engineering I'll have to do to give it a proper test. I'm still not seeing this drastic difference in pitch people are boasting.

The prices on Coriolis are not correct. The spreadsheet did not include that from what he said.

Shields are kind of an important thing for planetary landing as even the slightest bump on the surface without shields will damage the hull, even if only a little bit.

So in the end, you need Fuel Scoop, one large AFMU, FSD Booster, Shield, SRV bay, DSS, ADS. That's 7 slots, leaving the 8th for a cargo bay. ideally a Corrosion Resistant one. Now if the ADS and DSS are being merfed into one, that leaves an additional slot, which you could use to fit in a class 1A fuel limpet controller just in case you're out in deep space and you hear of a pilot stranded without fuel. You know, do the Fuel Rat thing.

From the Beta 2 patch notes:
-Switched the Discovery Scanner to a built in module, that is fitted to all ships. This frees up a slot for players to use. Refunded credits too

Yep, that works, and ADS and DSS don't get merged, ADS, or rather FSS becomes an integral part of every ship, isn't a module anymore. But you only have one AFMU, so you can't repair the AFMU itself. That's why I'll run dual AFMUs.

According to Discord, EDCD server, the developer of Coriolis has managed to get hold of the Krait Phantom stats.
We have 6, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3, 2 optional internals. 270t hull.
Havent played with it on beta Coriolis yet.
Prices are not confirmed...

Thanks for the update! They are indeed claiming these numbers come from FDev, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm quite happy with these internals and very glad to see a 32T fuel tank.

I love my Mk II, but this will definitely be my new home.

Top Bottom