Which Krait would you take? MKII vs Phantom

IIRC, an AFMU continues to work normally even at 1% integrity. And if it goes to zero, repair/reboot will get it working again, no explorer needs two AFMU's (OK, it gives you a bit more ammo, but you can synthesise that if you're carrying the right materials).

With 8 slots, I'd go for:

Fuelscoop
FSD booster
Shield
Dual SRV
16t CRCR
DSS
AFMU
Collector Limpet Controller

(no need to carry actual limpets, synthesise if needed)

IIRC, an AFMU continues to work normally even at 1% integrity. And if it goes to zero, repair/reboot will get it working again, no explorer needs two AFMU's (OK, it gives you a bit more ammo, but you can synthesise that if you're carrying the right materials).

Reboot/repair cannibalizes PP integrity if you don't have a functional AFMU, so there is still some utility to be had from two AFMUs on extreme duration journeys.

Fuelscoop
FSD booster
Shield
Dual SRV
16t CRCR
DSS
AFMU

Looks good except for the collector limpet controller...plenty easy to scoop manually, and barely slower or less convenient for small quantities.

Fuelscoop
FSD booster
Shield
Dual SRV
16t CRCR
DSS
AFMU

As Morbad says, easy to scoop, I'd skip the collector limpets and use a repair limpet instead.

Interesting that they've already increased the price of the Phantom by almost 10M then...

If they're legit, I'm glad that the Core Internals are the same and the shield size is the same, less engineering I'll have to do to give it a proper test. I'm still not seeing this drastic difference in pitch people are boasting.

Nobody's boasting, it's in the coriolis stats. Hit the profiles tab. If you're flying it in beta (aren't they out today?) and are refuting any pitch advantage, I'll obviously go with whatever you're saying, cos I have much doubt in the coriolis info, but as of today, that's what it shows.

No conflict, the real stats were put in Coriolis today, every other build that was made before this point in time was based on guestimates.

Check the date and time stamps of the two posts you quoted :)

Ah ha. Correction to my post above then, as of yesterday. :)

Thanks for the update! They are indeed claiming these numbers come from FDev, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm quite happy with these internals and very glad to see a 32T fuel tank.

I love my Mk II, but this will definitely be my new home.
only one 6? :(

Wanted to use phantom for mining but seems like MKII can carry more. So i guess MKII then

Yeah the MkII looks to be a much better miner than the Phantom. Actually the MkII is better at pretty much everything except for exploration. While I’m happy with the Phantom as it is, I do feel like it’s a bit narrow in focus. It might as well be called the Krait Explorer really.

Hm...If these are now the true stats, this ship's identity is clear.

Open spec:
Phantom
Mk2

Essentially, 40mps extra boost, 20mps cruise speed (both of which would make a larger difference of course if outfitted more lightly, but this is open survival spec), a correspondingly minuscule increase in flight profile attributes, and 2ly of jump range, costs you... a tiny bit of shield EH, a fair whack of armor EH, and a large hardpoint.

Explorer spec has a bigger difference, essentially, you've got three breaks at 50ly (mk2), 55ly (comfy phantom fit) and 60ly (inconvenient ridiculous range phantom build), those values are without Guardian booster...

Comfortable 66ly phantom that you'll be able to crash about a bit, with 2 SRVs and decent speed.
Ultralight 70ly phantom that you won't be able to land badly, not even once, and only 1 SRV and pretty poor speed and waiting for cap to boost, etc.

and...

Comfy 60ly mk2 which in terms of minmaxing range vs convenience, is somewhere between the two builds above.

The phantom is an explorer vessel, outright. It can be a multirole, but it was born to range the galaxy. It will not replace the Mk2 in any combat roles, nor the python as a multirole/trader.

/micdrop

Yeah the MkII looks to be a much better miner than the Phantom. Actually the MkII is better at pretty much everything except for exploration. While I’m happy with the Phantom as it is, I do feel like it’s a bit narrow in focus. It might as well be called the Krait Explorer really.

Is that not what people wanted? Because I'm still seeing complaints about there not being a new exploration ship this patch.

Hm...If these are now the true stats, this ship's identity is clear.

Open spec:
Phantom
Mk2

Essentially, 40mps extra boost, 20mps cruise speed (both of which would make a larger difference of course if outfitted more lightly, but this is open survival spec), a correspondingly minuscule increase in flight profile attributes, and 2ly of jump range, costs you... a tiny bit of shield EH, a fair whack of armor EH, and a large hardpoint.

Explorer spec has a bigger difference, essentially, you've got three breaks at 50ly (mk2), 55ly (comfy phantom fit) and 60ly (inconvenient ridiculous range phantom build), those values are without Guardian booster...

Comfortable 66ly phantom that you'll be able to crash about a bit, with 2 SRVs and decent speed.
Ultralight 70ly phantom that you won't be able to land badly, not even once, and only 1 SRV and pretty poor speed and waiting for cap to boost, etc.

and...

Comfy 60ly mk2 which in terms of minmaxing range vs convenience, is somewhere between the two builds above.

The phantom is an explorer vessel, outright. It can be a multirole, but it was born to range the galaxy. It will not replace the Mk2 in any combat roles, nor the python as a multirole/trader.

/micdrop

I think I'll use it in all the other ways, just to make you pic your mic back up.

Is that not what people wanted? Because I'm still seeing complaints about there not being a new exploration ship this patch.

I don't think a lot of people realize yet that the Krait Phantom is an exploration ship. It probably should have just been called the Krait Explorer, lol.

The Phantom will replace my Asps for most duties, including mission running and mat gathering.

Blasphemy perhaps, but I might skip the Python on my alt account opting for the Kraits instead.

:0

I'm late to the party here...but what spec changes caused the Phantom to go from a super-dooooper light combat craft to an out and out exploration craft?

I'm late to the party here...but what spec changes caused the Phantom to go from a super-dooooper light combat craft to an out and out exploration craft?

I made a post with a bunch of different coriolis builds using the new data, I think at the bottom of the previous page. But basically, the old coriolis values were too high for: armor multiplier and agility

Edit: here ya go https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...I-vs-Phantom?p=7170604&viewfull=1#post7170604

I made a post with a bunch of different coriolis builds using the new data, I think at the bottom of the previous page. But basically, the old coriolis values were too high for: armor multiplier and agility

Edit: here ya go https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...I-vs-Phantom?p=7170604&viewfull=1#post7170604
Thanks. I was looking at your links this morning while having a coffee, but couldn't figure out what actual spec values had changed. Armour multiplier and agility....BOOOOOOOOOO! :(
Well, it's only a few hours away from being testable in game, so hopefully I won't be too disappointed :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom