So Sandro Sammarco has moved aside. Who has taken the reins then?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Do you have a citation for that?
Becasuse on the Frontier Website...under "Powerplay" it states explicitly which doesn't seem very ambiguous to me...

Sure:

Powerplay is fundamentally about consensual player versus player conflict. We think that pretty much all of the systems and rules would benefit from being played out in Open only, as it would dramatically increase the chance of meeting other pledged players and being able to directly affect the outcomes of power struggles.

I think differently. This departure may be an indication that no new developments are going to be carried out for the game in the mid-term future. The focus will probably be on the "next era of Elite", whatever that means, which they will be able to market as a new game and make a profit on again.

The lack of any news about plans for next year, not to mention postponed features, and now this piece of news may very well be hints that the development for the current game version is really going into maintenance mode.

There is no lack of news. There is only ignorance.

They are fully working on 4.0.

Well why not!!!

I'm sure a throwaway remark on a Livestream years AFTER the Launch of Powerplay definitively trumps what is permanently presented on their official customer facing website :) to current and potential purchasers of the game...
It couldn't possibly be an un-attributed opinion from one member of the team...could it?
BTW...is it actually WRITTEN (rather than merely transcribed) anywhere?

Well why not!!!

I'm sure a throwaway remark on a Livestream years AFTER the Launch of Powerplay definitively trumps what is permanently presented on their official customer facing website :) to current and potential purchasers of the game...
It couldn't possibly be an un-attributed opinion from one member of the team...could it?
BTW...is it actually WRITTEN (rather than merely transcribed) anywhere?

Thats funny since it was front and centre in one of the biggest feedback responses ever on this forum.

FD themselves don't know what to do with Powerplay, and to my knowledge only Sandro has ever shown any motivation to improve it. After seeing engineers, exploration and mining get significant upgrades, Powerplay is now the only headline 1.x feature not to get such an overhaul.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Harassment of employees isn't on and will be dealt with accordingly.

Please remember to be nice.

Thats funny since it was front and centre in one of the biggest feedback responses ever on this forum.

Which is kind of my point...less than what? 5% of Elite Purchasers are even registered on the forum...let alone visit regularly...or view the Feedback Threads...
I'd suggest that if Frontier was intending to do anything substantive about the overall functionality of the game - it would be touted rather more widely than amongst the few of us navel-gazing obsessives here at the Forum...

I'll miss Sandro (and his hats) if he's been deported or whatnot. He was surely colourful and positive, although one can argue that he was a bit Brabenesque in that he had similar chuckles and lightened up when it came to pew-pew. Thus perhaps not the best guy for adding peaceful endeavours to the game. Although one can argue, again, that Elite was really all about pew-pew when it saw the light.

Stealthie

Banned
Regardless, the game feels more and more like it's being built by committee - bits and pieces do mesh together, but quite often recent design decisions have been made which just don't fit in with the existing game/lore/look/feel. Either completely contradicting existing lore, being inconsistent with existing game mechanics/UI, or just being inconsistent from a player impact perspective.

Have to agree with this.

I've noticed (and subsequently forgotten) quite a few small examples of things that just "don't fit in" with ED's existing lore or gameplay style recently.
None of them have been a big deal, individually, but it kind of suggests that they're more interested in just "getting stuff done" rather than managing the ED universe in a respectful way.

The most successful franchises (TV, movies, games, comic-books etc) tend to be the ones that are the result of a singular vision controlling it; somebody who understands what does and doesn't fit into that universe and ensure there's internal consistency.
IMO, ED needs people like Drew Wagar and Michael Brookes at least consulting if not controlling development - and the people in charge need to listen to them when making decisions.

I like Sandro,he's a nice bloke,good at his job and some people here are way too harsh with their opinions.

And some people really assume Sandro made all design decisions alone.

He is awesome human being, very open about development, was fun chatting with him at FX 2017. Would definitely do it again, despite him being away from ED. I hope he keeps tabs on ED and provide feedback when necessary.

As for people thinking trashing devs is cool thing....just move on.

And Sandro, if you read this - thanks for all the fish :D and good luck on next project, can't wait for reveal! Must be something huge if you are attached.

TBH as has already been said PP was a failure from the get go it's something that just puts an extra layer onto a already good system. What we wanted was our actions influencing our favourite superpower what we got is a dozen or so faces dropped into the mix for no reason but to complicate matters.

If it was like has been suggested before where each mission for aligned factions adjusted influence of that system then we would see our superpower expand and in turn be much bigger and more powerful. Imagine border systems could change hands when the border systems influence reaches the other system and starts to influence that as well.

Moby Games lists Laurance Oldham as "Head of Design", and Sandro Sammarco as "Lead Designer" for Elite Dangerous. So perhaps Sandy has been reporting to him all along anyway?
Both are simply listed as "Lead Designer" on LinkedIn.

I'm not sure where this misconception comes from, but Sandro Sammarco has never been in charge of the Elite Dangerous project. That is the job of the Game Director. Laurence Oldman has been Game Director on Elite Dangerous for a very long time now (unless I'm mistaken, for much of the entire development). Before that, the Game Director on Elite Dangerous was David Braben.

Which is kind of my point...less than what? 5% of Elite Purchasers are even registered on the forum...let alone visit regularly...or view the Feedback Threads...
I'd suggest that if Frontier was intending to do anything substantive about the overall functionality of the game - it would be touted rather more widely than amongst the few of us navel-gazing obsessives here at the Forum...

FD do what they want to do in the end, they ask questions here and act accordingly. FD now know that Open PP was warmly received and the other changes were popular, people had the chance to respond and did. What they do now is hopefully act on this feedback and soon.

Brett C

Frontier
I'm not sure where this misconception comes from, but Sandro Sammarco has never been in charge of the Elite Dangerous project. That is the job of the Game Director. Laurence Oldman has been Game Director on Elite Dangerous for a very long time now (unless I'm mistaken, for much of the entire development). Before that, the Game Director on Elite Dangerous was David Braben.

It's been a while with my memory on this, but I believe that you're correct in this regard. :)

I heard this on the most recent love stream. I'm curious who is lead designer now and what this means for the future of Elite Dangerous?

Have any of the discussed issues that Sandro took into consideration been passed forward to the team or have they been put aside for now?

For example, a minor, but nonetheless annoying one, which Sandro himself remarked upon. Target Lock Breaking spamming. A single commander using a couple of Advanced Plasmas with rapid fire can effectively render a target incapable of locking onto their foe. Add two or more commanders in a wing using these and you can see where I am going.. .

What of all the other considerations?

I'm very interested in hearing officially what this means for the future of Elite Dangerous.

Hello all,

We wanted to address a couple of things we've seen in this thread, and stop any speculation or completely unnecessary negativity.

Sandy is indeed working on another project at Frontier, he's very happy and healthy and this is an opportunity for us to feel excited for the well-earned opportunities he's got ahead.
If you keep an eye on the future of Frontier, and our games, you'll know doubt hear from him in future.

I also think it's important to change the perception that Elite Dangerous was one person's game. Sandro was only one of the Lead Designers on Elite Dangerous, and in fact, his title was changed to Principle Designer to avoid this very confusion, both internally and externally. We have a huge team working on Elite Dangerous, and no single person makes any of the decisions on their own. Every idea, piece of feedback or design decision is considered by a number of people on the team. Whether that's Laurence Oldham, the game director, Adam Woods, the Executive Producer, or one of the other designers such as Barry Clarke, Adam Bourke-Waite, Steve Kirby etc and the list goes on...

We're currently very hard at work on Beyond - Chapter Four. The largest update of the year (free to all owners of Horizons) hasn't been released yet, and there's so much to engage in when it does arrive (more news on that soon). We aren't ready to talk about the future of Elite, but as usual, keep an eye on our social media channels and the forums for more information.

Specifically and Importantly: Sandro Sammarco is happily moving on to a new project at Frontier Developments, and although we'll miss the incredible contributions he made to the game, and his endless enthusiasm, dedication and hard work towards the project, this is very standard for games development and the future of Elite Dangerous will not be negatively affected by it.

Thanks everyone, let's remember to keep this place kind and this community full of love.

Ed

FD now know that Open PP was warmly received

Which is why they've obviously been working on it, announced it...and its definitely coming soon :) Sooner than Space-Legs (TM) honest!
Its DEFINITELY not been ignored, never to be mentioned again...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom