So Sandro Sammarco has moved aside. Who has taken the reins then?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where this misconception comes from, but Sandro Sammarco has never been in charge of the Elite Dangerous project. That is the job of the Game Director. Laurence Oldman has been Game Director on Elite Dangerous for a very long time now (unless I'm mistaken, for much of the entire development). Before that, the Game Director on Elite Dangerous was David Braben.

It's been a while with my memory on this, but I believe that you're correct in this regard. :)

I did not know this, thanks both for the information.

.....Specifically and Importantly: Sandro Sammarco is happily moving on to a new project at Frontier Developments.....

Of far more importance than Sandy, who's got custody of space-loach? We demand answers.... etc etc........I'm looking at Tj......

More seriously, I'll miss the 'naughty schoolboy' vibe he always brought to streams, and wish him well on what I'm sure is a welcome change.

Thanks Edward Lewis, exciting times ahead.

Lets see where we are heading from now on. Since Elite is never finished, we may even see some substantial changes coming our way?

[up]

Putting Edward's address above (thanks for that!) aside, my principal impression especially from the 3.3 livestreams over the last few weeks has been that some core ideas around the game have indeed changed for whatever reason, and IMAO for the better, since there seems to be a stronger focus on the "game-y" aspects). Even if it's not the reason, I would not blame someone in Sandro's position for making it a deciding factor in changing to another project; after such a long time in such a position, I'd guess anyone would develop tunnel vision (not sorry for the pun) that may be detrimental to the long-term health of an evolving project.

I hate to be the voice of reason here..

But TLB is not going to get "fixed".

If they were to adjust it, it would mean reverski missile spam builds would be the general go too build (Because people are utter scrubs).

I would rather any broken OP weapons require at least human input as far as targeting goes.

Seekers are already far too OP. TLB could be nerfed if the other countermeasures were in anyway halfway decent. They are not.

I'll take difficult targeting on occasion over relentless aimbot seeker spam tyvm. Any day lol.

Hello all,

We wanted to address a couple of things we've seen in this thread, and stop any speculation or completely unnecessary negativity.

Sandy is indeed working on another project at Frontier, he's very happy and healthy and this is an opportunity for us to feel excited for the well-earned opportunities he's got ahead.
If you keep an eye on the future of Frontier, and our games, you'll know doubt hear from him in future.

I also think it's important to change the perception that Elite Dangerous was one person's game. Sandro was only one of the Lead Designers on Elite Dangerous, and in fact, his title was changed to Principle Designer to avoid this very confusion, both internally and externally. We have a huge team working on Elite Dangerous, and no single person makes any of the decisions on their own. Every idea, piece of feedback or design decision is considered by a number of people on the team. Whether that's Laurence Oldham, the game director, Adam Woods, the Executive Producer, or one of the other designers such as Barry Clarke, Adam Bourke-Waite, Steve Kirby etc and the list goes on...

We're currently very hard at work on Beyond - Chapter Four. The largest update of the year (free to all owners of Horizons) hasn't been released yet, and there's so much to engage in when it does arrive (more news on that soon). We aren't ready to talk about the future of Elite, but as usual, keep an eye on our social media channels and the forums for more information.

Specifically and Importantly: Sandro Sammarco is happily moving on to a new project at Frontier Developments, and although we'll miss the incredible contributions he made to the game, and his endless enthusiasm, dedication and hard work towards the project, this is very standard for games development and the future of Elite Dangerous will not be negatively affected by it.

Thanks everyone, let's remember to keep this place kind and this community full of love.

Ed

Cheers Ed! :)

Thanks Sandro for all your excellent contributions to Elite over the many years, and your always entertaining & informative livestream guest visits! Have fun on the new super-secret game, and please keep nagging the powers-that-be about Powerplay changes and faster ship/module transfers. Fly safe CMDR o7

There is no lack of news. There is only ignorance.

They are fully working on 4.0.
[haha]
No lack of fake news, I'll grant you that.
People say that others are ignorant without having the imagination to consider that others may feign ignorance, fake ignorance.

This statement shows ignorance.

I'm not really concerned about the who's at FDev regarding ED.
I am concerned that I haven't played ED for a few months now.
I am more concerned that I do not feel compelled to play it any more.

I would like to thank Sandro for all his endeavours over the past years on Elite. Wish him all the success on his next project. Was lucky to meet him at 2016 meet, nice person. Is space Loch continuing with Elite or has he moved too?

imo this game would be 1000% better if Braben himself had taken a more hands on approach to the game, just delegating to others has turned it into a meh space game that utterly and totally lacks the 'Elite' vibe.

He should stop getting others to be the lead designer and get his hands dirty once again ..or mend bridges with Ian Bell and get him, that is the only way the game will ever regain the Elite feeling to it. atm it simply does not feel like an Elite game and I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom