News Discovery Scanner 3 - Audible Asteroids w/Ross Stack

Greetings Commanders,

This week we're finally back with the third of the Discovery Scanner series, this time focusing on the creation of the 'cracking' audio design and implementation of the mother-lode asteroids.
Join Ross Stack as he takes you on a behind-the-scenes look at how some of the incredible sounds in Elite Dangerous come to life.

Hopefully see you there!

Livestream details

Topic - Discovery Scanner - Audible Asteroids: Prospecting the Sonic Signatures of Asteroids with Senior audio designer, Ross Stack
Date – 29 November 2018
Time – 19:00 (UTC)
Where – Click here!

See you there!

Ed

Oh, I'm actually not sure I want to watch this. I mean, the audio in this game is AWESOME, and I absolutely love it.

But if I watch this stream and he tells me the audio of the explosion is just a Dyson hoover being switched on followed by two wooden clogs being clapped together, then forever more that's all I'm going to think of when listening to the game.

Sometimes, I really don't want to know what's behind that secret magical curtain of mystery.

Foley artists lead interesting lives, having to know how to make all manner of sounds from strange combination of items. For example, in the auld Amiga game Alien Breed, the splat-sound of standard bullets hitting the aliens were made by throwing a half-rotten cabbage against a wall. The more you know...

Foley artists lead interesting lives, having to know how to make all manner of sounds from strange combination of items. For example, in the auld Amiga game Alien Breed, the splat-sound of standard bullets hitting the aliens were made by throwing a half-rotten cabbage against a wall. The more you know...

Did it have to be exactly 50% rotten, or would 40% suffice? And, what about half-fresh cabbages? ;)

I wonder whether any of the sounds in Elite have been constructed from the sound of twisting a custard cream in half...

Oh, I'm actually not sure I want to watch this. I mean, the audio in this game is AWESOME, and I absolutely love it.

But if I watch this stream and he tells me the audio of the explosion is just a Dyson hoover being switched on followed by two wooden clogs being clapped together, then forever more that's all I'm going to think of when listening to the game.

Sometimes, I really don't want to know what's behind that secret magical curtain of mystery.

It's not! It's pretty amazing actually. You should come along.

Did it have to be exactly 50% rotten, or would 40% suffice? And, what about half-fresh cabbages? ;)

I wonder whether any of the sounds in Elite have been constructed from the sound of twisting a custard cream in half...

Hehe, that kind of information didn't make it into the article. AFAIK it was in an old games magazine named 'The One' that went out of business in the mid-90s after Commodore went bankrupt.

Top Bottom