Modes BGS weighting

Are you gonna sit them there 24 hours a day? A system at war will have multiple CZs, if you're going to do that you're going to need half a dozen people playing the game 24/7. In shifts. Just for... what? The hope of stopping "some kid in solo"?

If you have that much manpower you're better off just killing things in the CZ and cashing bonds. I guarantee you that with the dozen or so people you'd need for 24/7 coverage of a system, you'll be able to move bonds faster than some random kid.

And if the person happens to be capable of outperforming literally a dozen of you on that basis, then I'm sorry to say that if there's that much of a difference in ability, then I don't much fancy your chances even if you did manage to get into the same instance as them.
Well actually yes we have enough players its just annoying because it takes us away from doing the stuff we actually like doing

Well actually yes we have enough players its just annoying because it takes us away from doing the stuff we actually like doing
Then just do it and stop letting one little and unseen guy, probably in solo for all you care, ruin your fun. Seems to me that if one player has that much power over the whole lot of you, then you should probably do the same and stop complaining

Completely wrong.

All someone has to do is spend 30 minutes in a cheap scout ship, pop you all on block and then they carry on as if you're not there.... because you won't be.

Also, the game is instanced. So the matchmaker may not put anyone else in with you.

Either way, the only blockade that works in Elite, is one done by Frontier.
That could do with fixing too
And if it were just one random kid it wouldnt be a problem but its player groups up to no good so all those random scouts would get spotted and give away which player group it was up to no good
if its not addressed then it will get worse with squadrons

CZs are pretty much the definition of balanced either way. A bond for one side is worth the same as a bond for the other. Move more bonds.

Same with missions. Just move more missions than them. Doesn't matter. You can't tell in supercruise what faction a player is running missions for anyway, but even then, a group effort will always overpower individual interference.

Trade and black markets are so low-impact on the individual scale compared to missions as to be almost worth ignoring unless it's something crazy like a trade CG or a station under repair (like, what, a couple of inf per visit?)

The only method that really lets someone attack your faction en-masse faster than a group can easily rack up influence transactions to counter it is mass-murder, and that's down to the transactional imbalance of murder allowing multiple transactions per instance while constantly summoning more targets. I'd mention exploration data, but really, you're going to blockade an exploration ship? The only way they can really "attack" you is if you have stations in the system you don't control, they're indistinguishable from any other ship, and they only have to slip by you once to dump their entire load of data before leaving - and I guarantee that when they high-wake they'll outrange your combat ships.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator

What you like doing is entirely optional in this game. Want to play the BGS, play by its rules....

.... of course, playing the BGS, supporting a specific Faction, is optional too.

Last edited:
Why do people think that a blockade has to 100% shut out the opposition to be effective? Shutting out 50% would be effective in limiting enemy gains... All this tired talk of platforms/time zones/instancing is just a weak pretext to base an anti-change argument on. How do other games manage it if it's impossible?

Why do people think that a blockade has to 100% shut out the opposition to be effective? Shutting out 50% would be effective in limiting enemy gains...

That all depends on the numbers.

Using 20 people to "shut out" 10, isn't very "effective" when the same 20 could out pace that 10 doing the same PvE work.

Blockades is just a weak pretext for ganking unarmed ships. :p

All this tired talk of platforms/time zones/instancing is just a weak pretext to base an anti-change argument on. How do other games manage it if it's impossible?

Replace "tired" with "technical" - because that's the problem, you cannot argue that your argument falls flat on its face when presented with the fact that platforms/time zones/instancing technically ruins the gank fest you're arguing to gain.

Can you please stop the anti-change bollox? It's meaningless drivel.

It's about all they have left to say. And even their examples fall flat, as MMOs add content, not rip content away from anyone.

Well, until recently when WoW took away Open PvP servers for a PvP flagging system (War Mode).
Doesn't that speak volumes about PvP.

All technical arguments aside, PvP should obviously be forced on any players who have aggressive intentions towards other player groups... it's a simple concept. I'm not proposing the BGS goes full open-only, relax. I'm not sure why you are all so against the idea of open only combat bonds for invaders (vs defending player groups).. Perhaps the ability to take salty, risk-free revenge on naughty PvP groups is important to you guys? I'm not surprised to be honest.

All technical arguments aside, PvP should obviously be forced on any players who have aggressive intentions towards other player groups... it's a simple concept. I'm not proposing the BGS goes full open-only, relax. I'm not sure why you are all so against the idea of open only combat bonds for invaders (vs defending player groups).. Perhaps the ability to take salty, risk-free revenge on naughty PvP groups is important to you guys? I'm not surprised to be honest.

The funny thing I have with this argument is, if someone is doing that... it's not PVErs doing it... so... so called PVPers are messing with other PVPers and PVErs are getting the blame. It has been argued so many times that PVErs should be PVPers prey. All the posts about how the defenseless prey are the best, etc.. And the jokes about mining our tears and such...

And now it looks like those same people are turning their sights on other PVPers...

Whatever they do to you in whatever mode they are in (no proof they are in pg/solo) you can counter the same way... PVP should never be forced on ANYONE...

Ok, that's fine. I have no agressive intentions against any other player groups. I just want to maintain the BGS in my systems. If someone attacks my BGS from the safety of open though, i hope they suffer a penalty for those aggressive intetions!

The funny thing I have with this argument is, if someone is doing that... it's not PVErs doing it... so... so called PVPers are messing with other PVPers and PVErs are getting the blame.

PvP'ers doing PvE to score points against PvE'ers who don't like PvP...

All this PvE / PvP labelling and tribalism is a complete nonsense, and what's actually happening is just players playing Elite Dangerous as it was designed to be played.

In a game that's all about PvE token pushing to achieve your goals.
Which has always advertised PvP as optional and hardly rewards it in game.
(make a new CMDR and only do PvP and see how far you get in a month Vs a new PvE only CMDR)

This is how we know the intent of the person posting ideas for this game.

You're not asking for PvP mechanics to be added to the game, or asking for willing PvP'ers to join you.
You're demanding people have content be removed from them to try and force them to put up with what they'd consider unpleasant antics.
Time to wake up, if you really want a PvP game then go buy a PvP game.
One that was made for PvP, goals and objectives that are not completed via PvE but by PvP only.

Sorry but genuine PvP'ers want willing targets, not forced targets.
People asking for new play type specific content want to improve the game.
"Griefers" want forced targets, so they can harass, disrupt and annoy people.

And on a side note;

Ignoring the technology that brings you the game, facts and design of the game, isn't going to help you.
It shows you're in a fantasy land if you think FD are going to redo the whole game from the ground up to force people to play with you.
As Peer to Peer is the first enemy of "Open Only" content with being multi platform right behind it. Too many people that will bypass you.
Throw instancing into the mix and out of those 3.1 million copies sold, how many people do you honestly think you'll ever see or play with?
You cannot push the technical reasons aside.

You're not asking for PvP mechanics to be added to the game, or asking for willing PvP'ers to join you.
You're demanding people have content be removed from them to try and force them to put up with what they'd consider unpleasant antics.
Time to wake up, if you really want a PvP game then go buy a PvP game.
One that was made for PvP, goals and objectives that are not completed via PvE but by PvP only.

Here's how to demonstrate this.
Make the CQC leagues a more prominent part of the game/setting.
I don't just mean things like "support your faction's happiness by doing CQC matches while parked at their stations".
I'm talking an actual CQC league in-game that's hosted in a different system each week (possibly determined by which faction the winners of the previous week support?) and spawns CZ-like instances. Call them "CQC Arena [no holds barred]" or something. The instant you pledge to a team, the zone becomes lawless. You get paid bonds for blowing stuff up. Maybe scenarios that trigger once there are players on both teams. Allow people to spawn into the actual in-game arena instances from the CQC menu. Whatever other nonsense you want to add, but the long and the short of it would be "here are lawless zones where you get paid for going in and blowing up other player-controlled ships, and an in-game announcement every week to tell the PvPers what system to head towards".

I honestly wonder how many would actually show up.

Top Bottom