Powerplay FDev, for God's sake, make Powerplay OPEN ONLY already!

Best ED thread for a long time. People complaing about other people not wanting to play the game like they'd prefer, but differently. Just as the game is set up to be played, in different modes. Seriously, dears, both PP and BGS are good reasons to PvP, but not all about PvP. Just like roleplaying can lead to, but doesn't rely on PvP. Keep having fun, everyone, will you?

We are well within our rights to critisize ppl that plays the Elite pvp-mode part of the game in a PvE setting especially when it affects others. Its as close to cheating as it gets.

Two big arguments I see in this thread against open only Power Play are; 1. Console players would also be out of reach of open player on PC. 2. Afk turret boats and bot accounts are to blame.

I dismiss the first argument because while open only isn't perfect due to separation of the console and PC game having it open only would create only 3 possible 'universes' as opposed to the multitude available now. As for the AFK farmers, How long do you thing an AFK turret boat or bot is going to last against a PvP strike force?

To the crowd that wants an all inclusive, multi-mode competition, you have it already. It's called BGS manipulation.

I'm now officially restricted to Solo play, but I fully support Open-only Powerplay, as long as the PP modules are moved to a tech broker.

Two big arguments I see in this thread against open only Power Play are; 1. Console players would also be out of reach of open player on PC. 2. Afk turret boats and bot accounts are to blame.

I dismiss the first argument because while open only isn't perfect due to separation of the console and PC game having it open only would create only 3 possible 'universes' as opposed to the multitude available now. As for the AFK farmers, How long do you thing an AFK turret boat or bot is going to last against a PvP strike force?

To the crowd that wants an all inclusive, multi-mode competition, you have it already. It's called BGS manipulation.

Yes the crossplay issue (or lack there of) is a problem but there are cmdrs on each platform that do pp. Even then pp needs to be open only.

Not going to happen no matter how many post new threads on the Forum. Hundreds have preceded you. Have a nice day! :)

The Op is absolutely right.

Up to now I played mostly on Solo mode, I did enough PP to get the weapons I wanted and finally I am with my power of choice.

This saturday I decided to try it for real, got a "good" pvp ship and went to a system in Expansion, I was honestly afraid as my pvp experiences mostly ended with a bang (mine).

Was there in both saturday and monday for abut 9 hours total, saw 2 player ships (both not aligned) in all that time, I was cruising and interdicting, also I got in some "Crime Sweep" hotspots but they were empty of players.

But in this time the number of merits for offense and defense never stopped rising, I was on a PC and I thought that maybe players in other platforms could doing pp but it seemed strange and honestly I thought about players in solo.

Today I read the latest number of Saggitarius Eye (https://www.sagittarius-eye.com/) and if half of the artcle on PP is true, PP is doomed to fail, that is the pvp part of it, I suppose people can always throw credits at it and fly in solo.

(Similar situation on EVE online, I still play very occassionaly but I litterally had a second life for some years playing "Faction Warfare" for system control there and it was great as long as it was not a thing for the farming masses because other than bragging rights / pride in the flag it would give a player litterally NOTHING, a few years ago it started been a good business due to mechanics change, by now all of the players that did it for the love of it are gone from it and most also for the game and are replaced by people that farm it regardless on any "Faction" loyalty.)

Last edited:
The Op is absolutely right.

Up to now I played mostly on Solo mode, I did enough PP to get the weapons I wanted and finally I am with my power of choice.

This saturday I decided to try it for real, got a "good" pvp ship and went to a system in Expansion, I was honestly afraid as my pvp experiences mostly ended with a bang (mine).

Was there in both saturday and monday for abut 9 hours total, saw 2 player ships (both not aligned) in all that time, I was cruising and interdicting, also I got in some "Crime Sweep" hotspots but they were empty of players.

But in this time the number of merits for offense and defense never stopped rising, I was on a PC and I thought that maybe players in other platforms could doing pp but it seemed strange and honestly I thought about players in solo.

Today I read the latest number of Saggitarius Eye (https://www.sagittarius-eye.com/) and if half of the artcle on PP is true, PP is doomed to fail, that is the pvp part of it, I suppose people can always throw credits at it and fly in solo.

(Similar situation on EVE online, I still play very occassionaly but I litterally had a second life for some years playing "Faction Warfare" for system control there and it was great as long as it was not a thing for the farming masses because other than bragging rights / pride in the flag it would give a player litterally NOTHING, a few years ago it started been a good business due to mechanics change, by now all of the players that did it for the love of it are gone from it and most also for the game and are replaced by people that farm it regardless on any "Faction" loyalty.)

Sadly you are discovering what a lot of us have seen for a long time. The biggest abusers of the pg/solo mechanism are Aisling Duval and Yuri grom. AD continually opposes their counterparts in pg using multiple alt accounts and drop what is known as merit bombs at cycle tick. Basically they will have say 10 players, all with multiple accounts, haul a Cutters load of merits and sit on their control system landing pad until last 30 minutes before tick. Then they hand in their merits, log into their alt accounts and repeat. Cutter load is approx 700 merits, so that’s 7000 merits for 10 players multiplied by how many accounts each player has.
All those merits hauled from the safety of pg and solo, unopposed. This is only part of the problem, 5c tactics also are used where a power will have some of its pledges pledge to another power in order to weaken that power.
Torval is a great example right now if a power being abused by AD to increase ADs systems and weaken Winters/Hudson at the same time.
FDEV are aware of all these goings on, hopefully they are aware just how many players in the last 6 months have stopped playing and uninstalled, largely because of the above.
Trying to fight ghosts is not fun and at the end of the day, this is a game about having fun. I hope FDEV have made plans to address this before the game is killed but I am not counting on it sadly!

I m sure everybody who wants open only power play should accept its impossible, but OTOH press hard on FD to give 50% or so merit bonus/penalty for doing in open/solo, some things have to be fixed before its even remotely viable to move it to open only. that 50% in fact is very generous , cause most people doing hauling or UM in critical systems in solo would make 5% at best of merits in open with 2x or bigger play time, but its still better than nothing, and open whole topic for feedback if the PP going to OO some day.

I m sure everybody who wants open only power play should accept its impossible, but OTOH press hard on FD to give 50% or so merit bonus/penalty for doing in open/solo, some things have to be fixed before its even remotely viable to move it to open only. that 50% in fact is very generous , cause most people doing hauling or UM in critical systems in solo would make 5% at best of merits in open with 2x or bigger play time, but its still better than nothing, and open whole topic for feedback if the PP going to OO some day.

Just to correct you:

I can earn 1.5K merits in an expansion per game session (about an hour). So thats 1.5 x 6 = 9000 merits per week.

Now, take that 1.5 and multiply it by say, 12 (for a PC running during work hours), thats 18,000 merits. X 6 = 108000 merits possible per cycle as it is now. Facing that in a combat expansion is impossible unless you afk too.

A 50% weighting is 54,000 merits, or six times as effective as what I can do playing normally.

Even at a piddly 10% = 10800, so a PC doing AFK is as effective as I am at maximum.

But what if they run the AFK / Bot for longer? 18 hours, all day? PC Multiboxing is cheap too. At a full 24 hours a day for a cycle, they earn 216000 merits currently, at 10% thats 21600- currently 2.4 times more effective.

AFK is not a problem for UM because that requires action- however combat expansions can be AFK to the cows come home because FD are not using the new CZ mechanics.

Just to correct you:

I can earn 1.5K merits in an expansion per game session (about an hour). So thats 1.5 x 6 = 9000 merits per week.

Now, take that 1.5 and multiply it by say, 12 (for a PC running during work hours), thats 18,000 merits. X 6 = 108000 merits possible per cycle as it is now. Facing that in a combat expansion is impossible unless you afk too.

A 50% weighting is 54,000 merits, or six times as effective as what I can do playing normally.

Even at a piddly 10% = 10800, so a PC doing AFK is as effective as I am at maximum.

But what if they run the AFK / Bot for longer? 18 hours, all day? PC Multiboxing is cheap too. At a full 24 hours a day for a cycle, they earn 216000 merits currently, at 10% thats 21600- currently 2.4 times more effective.

AFK is not a problem for UM because that requires action- however combat expansions can be AFK to the cows come home because FD are not using the new CZ mechanics.

Sorry guys you lost me care to explain to a PP noob what you guys are talking about ?

OTOH ?? UM ?

Being AFK doing expansion PP in systems and AFK combat ???

Sorry I am completely lost here….

You've said you want to do it. The vast majority of comments say to do it. But as long as you don't, this last cycle is going to repeat itself.

For those who don't know, Winters was attempting an expansion to Diegakul, only for a 900,000 Merit nuke to be dropped. The system in open has been under federal CAP the whole week. Every attempted offense in was quickly repelled. How could they have done this?

Rather than engage in what the devs describe as "consensual PvP" they just SMASH THAT SOLO BUTTON and don't face ANY opposition!

GUYS. THIS IS EASY TO FIX.

Why are you so paralyzed by indecision? Worried about upsetting the "muh content" crowd? PUT THE PP MODULES IN THE TECH BROKER. THERE. THE ONLY THING PEOPLE MISS OUT ON IS THE MULTIPLAYER MODE.

And how would you know that this 'nuke' would be prevented if it was open only? how do you even know you'd instance with the right people?

the whole "PvP could have prevented this" argument really doesn't have a lot backing it from a ton of other games, so how would elite be different?

OTOH = On The Other Hand
UM = UnderMining
AFK = Away From Keyboard
PP = PowerPlay

Thanks for the heads up.

So in essence there are people running BOTS in both Combat and non Combat Expansions, and that makes any normal play moot even if somehow FD would give 50% bónus to the "honest" players, unless boting is allowed in the game (I am assuming not but not sure) in that case everything is valid even if imo completly imoral and game breaking.

Is that it ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Somebody else can probably explain this better but my understanding is that certain PP powers , cough YG, cough AD, have used extensively, PC bots, running scripts to AFK UM and I’ve heard rumours lately that had been expanded to hauling merits also?
This not only is against FDEVS TOS it’s blatantly cheating.

And how would you know that this 'nuke' would be prevented if it was open only? how do you even know you'd instance with the right people?

the whole "PvP could have prevented this" argument really doesn't have a lot backing it from a ton of other games, so how would elite be different?

Because AFK turret bots are sitting ducks against players. Instancing is an issue (along with blocking) but at the same time the threat is there.

Thanks for the heads up.

So in essence there are people running BOTS in both Combat and non Combat Expansions, and that makes any normal play moot even if somehow FD would give 50% bónus to the "honest" players, unless boting is allowed in the game (I am assuming not but not sure) in that case everything is valid even if imo completly imoral and game breaking.

Is that it ?

Thanks

What is happening:

So called 5th column (5C) will join the power they want to wreck and prepare a system that will lose the victim power CC (control capital). At this point the true supporters have to either consolidate and hope they outnumber the 5C, or spend huge amounts of time and money preparing other systems to push out the 5C preparation.

If the 5C get the prepared system into expansion, then the victim power has to either self turmoil or ask other powers to oppose it, wasting time again.

If the victim power expands by combat, you can make super shielded ships with healing beams to sit in CZs all day fighting while you are away from your PC. This is done in Private Group (PG) where you will not have rival players shooting at them.

There is evidence that bots have been developed for hauling merits- so, if your power expands by hauling then you are stuffed again.

Weighted merits are not an option, as the weighting would have to be at least a 90% reduction to make AFK unworkable. FD could also use the new CZ mechanics to starve AFK ships. They could also remove healing beams or nerf / change how they work.

Wow...this topic is still a topic?

Okay...Seems, I'm in the right mood to spread my credits around and will happily beat THAT dead horse.

Although I'm fully with the OP, cause, as FDev stated, PP is INTENDED to be an pvp-inscentive. So, in regard to that statement it IS necessary that PP SHOULD be OpenOnly. And also, all the PP-Modules should be available via TechBrokers (with an immensive grind-effort as far as I'm concerned).

But here are 1.5 to 2 Points that will hinder FDev to make PP OpenOnly.

The sacred words: "All Modes are Equal"

(0.5) 2.
We don't have any cross-platform PvP opportunity. Means: If I got beaten up on PC i simply switch to another platfrom and doing my undermining-task with minor disturbance. Why 0.5? Because if PP is OpenOnly I have the risk that I got beaten up again on the other platform.

But these are exactly the reasons why FDev won't consider PP OpenOnly in the near future.

So, unfortunatly I think this proposal is fruit- and pointless.[blah]

Last edited:
Have not tried PP at all yet, but reading the threads etc. this just proves it was one of the biggest design flaws of the game.

Top Bottom