How did you die - Tell your story

Hi Fellow Commanders,

Use this thread to let everyone know your story on how you died on your journey.

Me - well at the moment i don't know if i'm dead or not.....I was at the EU launch time, listening to Dr Kaii at the count down then told my helmsman to engage the FSD. Off i went and after what i thought was an eon, i popped out the other side into my 1st of 73 jumps to WP2. all good so far, a couple of other commanders were there and a few more popped in behind me. OK not going to start exploring until i get about 1kly away from the bubble, so "Helmsman Engage jump 2". Into the tube i went........POP, BANG, ZIP.....black screen. Lost communication to the server and couldn't get back in. Hopefully im back at jump point 1 or at a station with the rebuy screen in front of me.

Wherever i am, my trusty Phantom stripped to the skin will be able to catch up.

Whats your story........

U will list those registered (on this post) deaths here just to see how many we get throughout.

Role of Honour:

Commander
Cmdr Mengy
Cmdr Flossy x 2
Cmdr OldManKnott x 2
Cmdr GrillMonkey - Self Destruct
May Trujillo - NPC Fighter
Cmdr Highhead
Cmdr RikonGB
Cmdr Sesom
Cmdr Patrone2012 x 3
Cmdr RedwallJP
Cmdr Shnyrik x 2
Cmdr Fallout300
Cmdr GozerTC
Cmdr Jeffers
Cmdr Disorganise
Cmdr Aekero
Cmdr Irisa Nyira
Cmdr Starscraper - Self Destruct
Cmdr Rampant
Cmdr Brizky + SRV

Last edited:
Ironically, even though it’s only the first day of DWE2, I have honestly already lost my ship once!

It was my own dumb fault though. After leaving Pallaeni I made my way to The View, 18 jumps away for my Phantom. Scanning systems along the way I even mapped a water world. Upon reaching The View I was so excited by the beautiful system that I flew down to the tourist beacon without ever checking the planet’s gravity, which of course was 3.3g’s. This resulted, much to my surprise, in my ship bouncing off the ground, and in my bewildered state of “what the Frack is going on?” I panicked and ended up losing the ship. 18 jumps into DWE2, a mere hour after launch.

I just sheepishly paid the insurance claim, flew my way back to The View, and another 18 jumps later landed like a proper explorer is supposed to: with caution and forethought.

QBEraY3.jpg

Now that the excitement has been properly checked its time for me to start paying attention and be more careful from here on out! :D

Ironically, even though it’s only the first day of DWE2, I have honestly already lost my ship once!

It was my own dumb fault though. After leaving Pallaeni I made my way to The View, 18 jumps away for my Phantom. Scanning systems along the way I even mapped a water world. Upon reaching The View I was so excited by the beautiful system that I flew down to the tourist beacon without ever checking the planet’s gravity, which of course was 3.3g’s. This resulted, much to my surprise, in my ship bouncing off the ground, and in my bewildered state of “what the Frack is going on?” I panicked and ended up losing the ship. 18 jumps into DWE2, a mere hour after launch.

I just sheepishly paid the insurance claim, flew my way back to The View, and another 18 jumps later landed like a proper explorer is supposed to: with caution and forethought.

Now that the excitement has been properly checked its time for me to start paying attention and be more careful from here on out! :D

^^

Tsk... newbie!

;)

Shamelessly quoting myself:
This is Elite, a long grind to the highest rank. Don't waste your time doing something that bores or annoys you. Sunk Cost Fallacy and all. This is Fun Time, not work.
And it is Dangerous, suddenly jumping you when you get complacent. Some will run out of fuel, some will crash when landing at stop-overs, a fair number will brush too close to stars, some will race their SRV to bits, some will accidentally ram others, some will miscount their jumponium, some will literally get lost.
I didn't expect my pessimism to come true that fast :p

I’ve not lost my ship yet. How I don’t quite know as a Cmdr in an Asp took one ring of shields off me without me even realising at the launch beacon....too busy marvelling at the sheer number of players in one instance, a new experience for me.

I’m down to 35% of my hull on one of my SRVs after being launched 1.4km up when I drove over a geyser and I’m now having a coffee and telling myself to slow down after ploughing into Thor’s Eye because I was too busy thinking about the picture I wanted to get.

I’m absolutely loving it out there and Squadron Comms, another new experience, is brilliant.

Thanks to all the organisers and everyone taking part, it’s the best time I’ve had in ED so far after a year of playing.

Fingers crossed I’ll survive until I reach Omega where I’ll repair my SRV and head out again for whatever is left of the week.

Last edited:
So far I have never lost my ship, or an SRV, while exploring. With these large instances bringing things like commander collisions and wonky physics, that may change. I'll be sure to post something if it does. ;)

Tsk... newbie!

;)

That’s how I felt! I was excited and snacking on pita and hummus while I was exiting glide mode towards the beacon. I throttled down but the ship wasn’t slowing, and by the time I realized something was wrong it was far too late. I felt like such a newb! I just sat there slack jawed looking at the rebuy screen thinking to myself “what a rookie mistake”.

So far I have never lost my ship, or an SRV, while exploring.

I can’t say the same, I’ve lost several exploration ships to the void. A few of those were on group expeditions too. I’ve lost many more SRV’s to canyon jumps or mountain descents or such. I can honestly say that they were all my fault in one way or another though. Complacency really can create a tragedy right quick.

Just as an example I’m rather proud of, on the DECE I managed to mess up my ships power settings without knowing it, and this is what resulted: (the Lesson: be careful with your power settings!!!)

[video=youtube;_Ii5kajuoBg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ii5kajuoBg[/video]

Just as an example I’m rather proud of, on the DECE I managed to mess up my ships power settings without knowing it, and this is what resulted: (the Lesson: be careful with your power settings!!!)

LOL, I remember that video. Classic stuff, right there! ;) :D

Great thread, will be a fun read. I nearly shared Mengy's fate at "The View". Recognized the high gravity too late and bounced off once. Luckily I survived with ~75% hull left.

Today I saw quite a few ships crashing there, some of them I could help out with my repair limpets. The fleet mechanics should build a repair shop next to the beacon, would be very profitable ;)

Dw1 I lost hull because I forgot to turn the sheilds back on .. the sound of crunching and watching the hull disappear was sickening, 60k out. Luckily only 20 odd percent

Bad luck, Mengy. The View almost did a number on me too:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/472106-DW2-The-View-did-an-Admiral-Ackbar-on-me

After 2 or 3 jumps headig to the first waipoint I found a planet with nice gorges and decided to have a bit of fun and test my orca while doing dumb things. Seems hitting a smal hill while flying at 600 m/s is not good for the cockpit glass...

I managed to get to a staion before the countdown ran out and used a synthesis just in case because it was pretty close. One thing I didn't know is that you recover the air just after going through the mailslot. Nice.

Not a dead, but close.

Then, I landed in "The View" for a while, first in open (yes, I know), then in Fleetcomm. Lots of CMDRs hitting the ground pretty fast and I witnessed an ASP blowing itself appart. Since I was equipped with a repair limpet controller I asked if someone needed repairs several times, but no one seemed to care and I even have to repair someone "by surprise".

I am glad there was a high G planet just near the starting point. It is better to crash now than several kly into the black.

Haven't die (yet :x) in part thanks to the ample warnings on here, but I did appreciate the confidence expressed in me by the CMDR on the ground at The View who literally watched me come in all the way to a landing presumingly to see if I'd blow up before taking off immediatley. [haha]

Haven't lost a ship exploring yet. I've been very lucky evading hazards jumping into a system. That said, if I run across a 9g+ world... well... Mistakes Might Be Made™

Did almost cook my SRV once by afking next to a lava vent that I thought was inactive. :D

Last edited:
You could've bought it over there (not engineered obviously).

I read in another thread that mining equipment at WP2 was basic and no mining lasers. I guess that might change by the time we get there. I was only 2500 light years out so not much of a detour. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom