Modes Can we secede Open Play data from other modes.

If this is how you "truly" feel then it is clear that you have not read the forums at all and are throwing the victim card, which I find amusing as you want to try and insult me by calling me a carebear.

Or you could really go for it and call me a Pegasister!
Oh great, we got another one
l9RqVJm.png

Last edited:
PPOO will just be the last huge disappointment to the Open only/PVP crowd. It solves nothing of the problems that people want repaired...and will exacerbate the problems there currently are with that part of the game. The salt from those tears will be really fun to collect!

And you can prove this by quoting the threads in Naval Action.
A game that is P2P, heavily instance, Open Only and has all the problems we have here with PvP.

What PvP'ers say will fix the game has already been proving not to in another game.

It's actually why I'm considering buying Naval Action. I know PvP is "rare and meaningful" despite it being an Open Only game.
(Disclaimer: Its as "meaningful" over there as it is here, but it is still "rare" as long as you avoid the PvP meet up ports)

Goose4291

Banned
And you can prove this by quoting the threads in Naval Action.
A game that is P2P, heavily instance, Open Only and has all the problems we have here with PvP.

What PvP'ers say will fix the game has already been proving not to in another game.

It's actually why I'm considering buying Naval Action. I know PvP is "rare and meaningful" despite it being an Open Only game.
(Disclaimer: Its as "meaningful" over there as it is here, but it is still "rare" as long as you avoid the PvP meet up ports)

Errr... Naval Action isnt P2P. They have 2 dedicated servers, which dont share data.

Goose4291

Banned

PPOO will just be the last huge disappointment to the Open only/PVP crowd. It solves nothing of the problems that people want repaired...and will exacerbate the problems there currently are with that part of the game. The salt from those tears will be really fun to collect!

The salt bucket is amply.full right now thanks to.the Distant worlds mockrage.

Errr... Naval Action isnt P2P. They have 2 dedicated servers, which dont share data.

My apologise, I misunderstood some info I was given elsewhere.

So with dedicated servers and open only, people still struggle to find PvP outside of the regular meeting ports.
Yet somehow Elite: Dangerous with its unreliable P2P would be better with open only???

I think you just made my point even better :)

Goose4291

Banned
My apologise, I misunderstood some info I was given elsewhere.

So with dedicated servers and open only, people still struggle to find PvP outside of the regular meeting ports.
Yet somehow Elite: Dangerous with its unreliable P2P would be better with open only???

I think you just made my point even better :)

Thats not really how Naval Action works, there.

You generally find people outside 'freeports'.

Your country chat is full of traders relating sightings of ebemy ships they encounter, along with their course and heading.

With a bit of nous, you can find enemy traders transporting supplies to their guilds shipyards using the map, or just trying to turn a profit using the trade tools

When an areas in danger of being taken, you can find PvP by patrolling the area looking for PvE stomping players.

Finally, when the battle for a region starts, you can find PvP in the port battles to control the region.

PvP is both vibrant and plentiful there, and each one carries meaning. The challenge is knuckling down and learning the associated disciplines required to find it, which extend beyond elites model.

Last edited:
Thats not really how Naval Action works, there.

You generally find people outside 'freeports'.

Your country chat is full of traders relating sightings of ebemy ships they encounter, along with their course and heading.

With a bit of nous, you can find enemy traders transporting supplies to their guilds shipyards using the map, or just trying to turn a profit using the trade tools

When an areas in danger of being taken, you can find PvP by patrolling the area looking for PvE stomping players.

Finally, when the battle for a region starts, you can find PvP in the port battles to control the region.

PvP is both vibrant and plentiful there, and each one carries meaning. The challenge is knuckling down and learning the associated disciplines required to find it, which extend beyond elites model.

Great! Sounds like you've found the game that suits your tastes then. :) So happy for you!

Maybe 90's should try that one.

Goose4291

Banned
Great! Sounds like you've found the game that suits your tastes then. :) So happy for you!

Maybe 90's should try that one.

I cant speak for 90's, but I suspect slow tactical pvp might not be the thing to suggest as an alternative option to the WW2 dogfighting.... in space that ED offers.

Also, I do love it dearly (more than ED), however much like the other non-cockpit space game that shall not be named, it requires massive time investment that to be frank I simply dont have all the time due to real life, whereas Elite at its.core (even at its most complex) is very pick up.and play.

Last edited:
I cant speak for 90's, but I suspect slow tactical pvp might not be the thing to suggest as an alternative option to the WW2 dogfighting.... in space that ED offers.

Also, I do love it dearly (more than ED), however much like the other non-cockpit space game that shall not be named, it requires massive time investment that to be frank I simply dont have all the time due to real life, whereas Elite at its.core (even at its most complex) is very pick up.and play.

Ah, so we're back to "Elite Dangerous needs to change into what I want it to be." Gotcha. :)

Good luck. No, I really mean it.

Goose4291

Banned
Ah, so we're back to "Elite Dangerous needs to change into what I want it to be." Gotcha. :)

Good luck. No, I really mean it.

No Sylvera, actually read and comprehend my post rather than just attributing what you want to its content.

Otherwise, I'll just blithely assume your previous post was a snide passive aggressive 'if you dont like it, go play something else' post that you are so prone to use.

No Sylvera, actually read and comprehend my post rather than just attributing what you want to its content.

Otherwise, I'll just blithely assume your previous post was a snide passive aggressive 'if you dont like it, go play something else' post that you are so prone to use.

Assume whatever you like. We all know what happens when you "assume" after all.

Meanwhile, many others will enjoy the game that Frontier created whilst others wish it was "something else...."

(if you're still "wishing" by now, you've simply lost touch with reality...)

Last edited:

Goose4291

Banned
Assume whatever you like. We all know what happens when you "assume" after all.

Meanwhile, many others will enjoy the game that Frontier created whilst others wish it was "something else...."

(if you're still "wishing" by now, you've simply lost touch with reality...)

So, not going to try and understand what I wrote then?

Its okay. I know reading is hard.

So, not going to try and understand what I wrote then?

Its okay. I know reading is hard.

As much as understanding reality is hard. Yeah, it's ok, I sympathize with you.

Boo-hoo... Boo-hoo.

Seriously, Goose, you're not "less" of a man because you mourn for what "could have been".

Last edited:
Well, I've got Mixed feelings on this one. In principle I wholeheartedly agree that PowerPlay has to be open Open Only, this game mode really doesn't work with the other modes being able to circumvent it. Yes you can argue that that's not what Frontier promised (The statement that MB said that all modes act equally on the BSG) but when the game mode is broken because of those game modes, then surely you do something about it. I'm quite sure the rewards that powerplay gives you could be earned in another way for Solo/PVT group players.

By Extension you could argue the same for the BSG that only actions carried out in open affect the outcome. However, I remember that there is a lot of background calculations in the BSG which doesn't take Player actions into account. I.e. the amount of NPC trade which is calculated for every tick. It means player action doesn't have the same impact as it does in powerplay, (even though it is a more popular mode).

The one thing that people don't like me saying is that I also think that CG's should be Open Only as well. In a perfect system, player's should be able to challenge a CG that they don't agree with and be able to blockade a system to try and prevent a CG. But I understand that would exclude console players who haven't paid they Multiplayer Sub (or should that be their Extorsion sub) and exclude them from gaining the same rewards.

And to be honest, until they come up with a solution to stop or punish combat logging, the arguments for or against the modes are all moot anyway.

I personally believe that the BGS and Power Play, should be disable for Solo and Private Group. But that's more ridiculous selfish talks. So how about we settle for a independent Open Play! Seceding Open Play from Private Group and Solo Play is the most logical path here.

Anyways why do you solo and private group players. Care about what happens in a mode, that y'all have stated so many times. You want nothing to do with.

This should make both camps happy. Solo and Private groups don't affect Open Play's BGS and Power Play. And Open Play don't affect Solo and Private groups BGS and Power Play.

How do you people, of the Elite Dangerous forum community feel about this?

Putting this thread back on track..
I bought Elite because it offered the different modes. It was inevitable that the Open side of the game would result in gankers in overpowered ships killing new players just for funzies.
Solo / Private Group modes presented me with the chance to play solo or with friends that would'nt take advantage of me as a new player,
then when I did Git Gud, I could try the Open side to see if I was Gud Enuff.
As for PP in Open Only, until FDev deal with the bots that us human players have to deal with every cycle, I will continue to haul in Solo/PG.

I've ranted in another thread about my frustration with Engineering; not the process, but what it has done to the game. This has made me think - if there was an "Open Only" mode with no Engineers, I would happily start over with a new CMDR and join that server (bandwidth-willing). The entire reason I avoid PvP is because of engineering and the impossible, unrealistic ships it can create (Belugas that fly like Couriers, for example).

Of course this will probably require a different "Open Only" server than what the OP wants, since many PvPers love the Engineers. I, on the other hand, want to go to a parallel universe where they don't exist.

Well, I've got Mixed feelings on this one. In principle I wholeheartedly agree that PowerPlay has to be open Open Only, this game mode really doesn't work with the other modes being able to circumvent it. Yes you can argue that that's not what Frontier promised (The statement that MB said that all modes act equally on the BSG) but when the game mode is broken because of those game modes, then surely you do something about it. I'm quite sure the rewards that powerplay gives you could be earned in another way for Solo/PVT group players.

By Extension you could argue the same for the BSG that only actions carried out in open affect the outcome. However, I remember that there is a lot of background calculations in the BSG which doesn't take Player actions into account. I.e. the amount of NPC trade which is calculated for every tick. It means player action doesn't have the same impact as it does in powerplay, (even though it is a more popular mode).

The one thing that people don't like me saying is that I also think that CG's should be Open Only as well. In a perfect system, player's should be able to challenge a CG that they don't agree with and be able to blockade a system to try and prevent a CG. But I understand that would exclude console players who haven't paid they Multiplayer Sub (or should that be their Extorsion sub) and exclude them from gaining the same rewards.

And to be honest, until they come up with a solution to stop or punish combat logging, the arguments for or against the modes are all moot anyway.

Conflating the BGS with PP in your opening paragraph isn't helping your argument.

The BGS was designed from the start to be influenced by all players, in all modes from any platform.
This has never been debated for change as Frontier have firmly states this is what they want.
Same goes for CGs. They were designed around the mode system for everyone to enjoy, not just gankers.
And if Frontier want a system blockaded, it will be - that was never a choice we were ever going to be given.

PP was debated, the initial response from David Braben was;
Unlike community goals, Powerplay is a swinging balance - ie solo players are also balancing solo players.
Without any proof to the contrary and without any more statements, we have to take this on face value.

Sandro Sammarco since then asked the community some questions about our views on Power Play.
Nothing has happened since then, apart from some clarification that he was only talking about Power Play - as some people got over excited and saying the BGS was going to be mode locked.
So Sandro had to correct them and point out he was only ever talking about Power Play.
Sandro also pointed out that most people (by a significant margin) play open. So why do we need open only content, when so many people are there anyway???

All in all, making content Open Only does not solve the inherent problems with PvP.
All it does is annoy anyone who uses and enjoys the game as it was made, advertised and sold.

Top Bottom