Modes Can we secede Open Play data from other modes.

I personally believe that the BGS and Power Play, should be disable for Solo and Private Group. But that's more ridiculous selfish talks. So how about we settle for a independent Open Play! Seceding Open Play from Private Group and Solo Play is the most logical path here.

Anyways why do you solo and private group players. Care about what happens in a mode, that y'all have stated so many times. You want nothing to do with.

This should make both camps happy. Solo and Private groups don't affect Open Play's BGS and Power Play. And Open Play don't affect Solo and Private groups BGS and Power Play.

How do you people, of the Elite Dangerous forum community feel about this?

The game was advertise from 2012 in it's Kickstarter with a selective mode system.
The game went on sale in 2014, with the advertised selective mode system.
It has been sold for over 4 years advertising the selective mode system.
People can and do jump freely between all 3 of the modes, which is a core advertised feature of the game.

Try www.eveonline.com or https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ as they may be more what you are looking for in a space game.
As myself and many others feel www.elitedangerous.com is exactly what we were looking for in a space game.
Which is why we bought it in the first place.

Perhaps you should have put as much research into what you were buying as we did, so you didn't buy the wrong game for you?

I personally believe that the BGS and Power Play, should be disable for Solo and Private Group. But that's more ridiculous selfish talks. So how about we settle for a independent Open Play! Seceding Open Play from Private Group and Solo Play is the most logical path here.

Anyways why do you solo and private group players. Care about what happens in a mode, that y'all have stated so many times. You want nothing to do with.

This should make both camps happy. Solo and Private groups don't affect Open Play's BGS and Power Play. And Open Play don't affect Solo and Private groups BGS and Power Play.

Get's my vote... not that i have a vote.

From my perspective its the only way to stop these endless debates about modes, OOPP, etc, and still allow everyone to play the way they want and allow everyone to have the same content.

I doubt the devs will do it though for various reasons. Probably about as likely as them removing PP from PG/solo.

Regardless, as Jockey pointed out, the game was advertised and sold as having the mode system, so anyone buying the game and not being happy with the shared galaxy state really doesn't have any space legs to stand on.

Goose4291

Banned
Get's my vote... not that i have a vote.

From my perspective its the only way to stop these endless debates about modes, OOPP, etc, and still allow everyone to play the way they want and allow everyone to have the same content.

I doubt the devs will do it though for various reasons. Probably about as likely as them removing PP from PG/solo.

Regardless, as Jockey pointed out, the game was advertised and sold as having the mode system, so anyone buying the game and not being happy with the shared galaxy state really doesn't have any space legs to stand on.

Funnily enough, myself and a lot of open types who've now left these forums were heavily in favour of this as well, going further by suggesting your open 'account' was seperate to your solo/pg one so earnings and assets accrued of anyone you encountered were done at the same level of 'risk', and people couldnt 'stealth move' their ships about (e.g. a pirate switching to solo to go get repairs etc when the bounty hunters came knocking).

The problem with it though in terms of forum QQ was always which set of servers got to determine the outcome for lore etc. In the events of CGs/BGS conflicts.

As to 'we all bought the game we wanted after extensive research' conundrum, Im still waiting on my Offline (more so at the moment now I'm away from home) and Iron Man modes, both of which were advertised features when I chipped in.

There are two big problems with this:
1) Frontier have to store twice as much BGS and Powerplay data. (And that's not just things like faction influence, but things like market contents) Over time these will diverge - sometimes significantly - which could lead to various problems. [1]
2) Either you have some extremely silly and obvious [2] exploits to do with switching between Open and PG/Solo ... or you completely forbid logging into to PG/Solo with an Open CMDR and vice versa, which is the sort of thing which would cause a lot of players who have no interest at all in the BGS or Powerplay to object, and would probably generally be seen as a scheme by Frontier to "force everyone to buy two accounts".

[1] You could have very odd cases come up entirely accidentally due to the divergence.. For example, there was a Duradrive vs Torc competitive CG late last year. Duradrive won, and it's now a new rare good. If different sides won on different mode-halves ... would that mean a rare good only available in Open and another rare good only available in PG/Solo?

[2] Two basic examples - there are many more complex possibilities:
- get an Industrial/High-tech station which is saved in one half but set on fire by the Thargoids in the other half. Log on in the safe half, buy medicines, relog, sell for massive profits in the burning station, repeat.
- pick up cargo, relog to Solo, fly to station and dock, sell it in Open to influence the Open BGS.

Funnily enough, myself and a lot of open types who've now left these forums were heavily in favour of this as well, going further by suggesting your open 'account' was seperate to your solo/pg one so earnings and assets accrued of anyone you encountered were done at the same level of 'risk', and people couldnt 'stealth move' their ships about (e.g. a pirate switching to solo to go get repairs etc when the bounty hunters came knocking).

The problem with it though in terms of forum QQ was always which set of servers got to determine the outcome for lore etc. In the events of CGs/BGS conflicts.

As to 'we all bought the game we wanted after extensive research' conundrum, Im still waiting on my Offline (more so at the moment now I'm away from home) and Iron Man modes, both of which were advertised features when I chipped in.

If it would stop all the whining about modes, i'd be 100% in favour of separate saves and let the "Open Only" server be the official one for lore reasons. Of course, we would all know the unofficial lore one would be the one favoured by the majority of those who really care about the lore :p

NO thanks, fine with mode mobility here.

Mode mobility could still be a thing. There could be a server with Open only, and a server with all the modes we have now. The open only server could be the domain of those who simply don't like the idea of modes. If there are really so many people who want open only, then surely that server will thrive :D

1) Frontier have to store twice as much BGS and Powerplay data. (And that's not just things like faction influence, but things like market contents) Over time these will diverge - sometimes significantly - which could lead to various problems. [1]
2) Either you have some extremely silly and obvious [2] exploits to do with switching between Open and PG/Solo ... or you completely forbid logging into to PG/Solo with an Open CMDR and vice versa, which is the sort of thing which would cause a lot of players who have no interest at all in the BGS or Powerplay to object, and would probably generally be seen as a scheme by Frontier to "force everyone to buy two accounts".

[1] You could have very odd cases come up entirely accidentally due to the divergence.. For example, there was a Duradrive vs Torc competitive CG late last year. Duradrive won, and it's now a new rare good. If different sides won on different mode-halves ... would that mean a rare good only available in Open and another rare good only available in PG/Solo?

- get an Industrial/High-tech station which is saved in one half but set on fire by the Thargoids in the other half. Log on in the safe half, buy medicines, relog, sell for massive profits in the burning station, repeat.
- pick up cargo, relog to Solo, fly to station and dock, sell it in Open to influence the Open BGS.

1) Not really that much data i guess. A few gigabytes? Terrabytes? Nothing major.

2) Separate servers, separate saves, and there could still be an open mode on the server where people are fine with modes. Just a separate open only server for those who demand it.

While I'm all for OOPP, mode freedom is essential as it offers equality for all players and freedom of choice for everyone to choose whichever mode they want or prefer to play in on a per-session basis.

However, if Open Only Whatever is enforced - that will simply lead to some curmudgeonly network engineer types mining salt from Open Onlyists for buckets of lulz.

If it would stop all the whining about modes, i'd be 100% in favour of separate saves and let the "Open Only" server be the official one for lore reasons. Of course, we would all know the unofficial lore one would be the one favoured by the majority of those who really care about the lore

Please do not forget that some of us have no choice whether we play in Solo or Open. I'm currently on a very limited bandwidth connection - believe me, you do not want to share an instance with me in Open. Since I'm on PS4, I need to pay the mafia Sony a yearly fee to access the "multiplayer" features of games like Elite, which this year would have been a waste of money because of my bandwidth situation. Therefore I have no choice but play in Solo. If it wasn't for the shared BGS, CGs, Codex, Squadrons, etc. I would likely not play at all.

Thankfully you don't get a vote :p

Last edited:
The game was advertise from 2012 in it's Kickstarter with a selective mode system.
People can and do jump freely between all 3 of the modes, which is a core advertised feature of the game.

Try www.eveonline.com or https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ as they may be more what you are looking for in a space game.
As myself and many others feel www.elitedangerous.com is exactly what we were looking for in a space game.

Perhaps you should have put as much research into what you were buying as we did, so you didn't buy the wrong game for you?

Lol ok. No need to get TRIGGERED and go EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I just asked a simple friendly question.

I see. Thank you for your response!

Mode mobility could still be a thing. There could be a server with Open only, and a server with all the modes we have now. The open only server could be the domain of those who simply don't like the idea of modes. If there are really so many people who want open only, then surely that server will thrive :D

Ah indeed this would be the case. Than all parties at hand gets away with the win. Those who want mode mobility. And those who don't want to be hindered by players, who's not even participating in said mode. This is a very good Win Win I'd say.

Lol ok. No need to get TRIGGERED and go EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I just asked a simple friendly question.

I just gave a simple, friendly answer.

You bought the wrong game, it's easily done when you don't pay attention where you are spending your money.
EVE or Star Citizen should suit you much better if you don't like the mode system here.

I'd suggest Star Citizen, as EVE is 3rd person and you don't actually fly the ship.

Fly safe CMDR o7

AP Birdman

Banned
I just gave a simple, friendly answer.

You bought the wrong game, it's easily done when you don't pay attention where you are spending your money.
EVE or Star Citizen should suit you much better if you don't like the mode system here.

I'd suggest Star Citizen, as EVE is 3rd person and you don't actually fly the ship.

Fly safe CMDR o7

No you didn't. If you think your backhanded complements are friendly then you must be delusional.
It's hilarious how every time someone posts something you don't agree with you suggest they try another game. Why don't you go play another game since there's so much that we do that you don't agree with?
I used to think you were one of the good guys....

Last edited:

Or he can advocate changes he thinks are better for the game? Or is that only something you can do?

The game was built on 3 modes. It's not going to change no matter how much anyone wants it to.
Feel free to develop your own game.

Last edited:

AP Birdman

Banned

So what, Fdev isn't allowed to make changes to better their game because it's was "advertised" a certain way when it was launched? What a laughable argument.
Well, it wasn't "advertised" as having engineers when it was released so maybe you should take them to court for it. ROFL

Top Bottom