Elite Dangerous PS4 Feature Requests and PS4 FAQ

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
No AI interdictions when in PSS mode. In fact do away with AI interdictions all together or restrict them to when you first jump into a system.

Maybe a full zoom mode in FSS to see the entire system?

Gary

This thread is "generally" for PS4 or console leaning specific support requests, those are more general and is probably best over on the feature request forum.

Last edited:
Feature requests, huh? PS specific? Well here goes.

* Analog inputs for individual/half-axis directions (yaw right, yaw left etc.). DS4 is already starved for inputs, it is critical to be able to map thrusters or yaw on R2/L2 and retain the analog precision. I really cannot emphasise this enough, the "analog axis vs digital input" in the control settings is a completely unnecessary constraint!

* Input modes. Supercruise operations, scanners and corresponding HUD modes should not be scattered among fire groups and combat priority inputs. Could be interpreted as a generic feature request, but I think for consoles specifically this is a must have for the reason described in the previous point. The input modes should be as clearly distinct (and distinctly, thoroughly configurable) as ship vs SRV.

* Full keyboard support. A no-brainer really and beaten to death so no need to reiterate over the multitude of reasons why this makes sense for a sim(ish) with tons of inputs. I would actually prefer DS4+keyboard over the available PS4 HOTAS options, and it's a real low hanging fruit implementation wise, so it puzzles me to no end why keyboard support isn't simply enabled for PS4.

* Support for high-end HOTAS/dual-stick flight controllers. I didn't get a console because I'm cheap or because I'm a casual gamer, I got one because I've been configuring gaming PC's since 80286 and I've been gaming in general since Commodore PET 3032. Nowadays I just want to fire up the big screen and get in the game without dealing with Windows updates, latest flavour of DDR4 memory chips or the number of cores an i7 should have for a gaming rig. I get enough of that at work.

Now that being said, DS4 doesn't really cut it for full 6DOF flight, HOTAS 4 I have but I'm unsatisfied by it, HORI based on reviews I won't touch. I would gladly get in line and wait up for the next batch of Virpil sticks like our master race CMDR brethren. I know this one's a beast to implement but at least it's still feasible, unlike (unfortunately) something like VR support. Unlike VR, this is not a perf issue, it's a business issue. I know it's a reach, but I think if there ever was a niche group of players on PS4 who could be in the market for a proper HOTAS/HOSAS setup, E: D players would be it.

* Analog axis calibration, sensitivity, plotting and/or curves. Regardless whether the axis sends [0,1] or [-1,1], the user should be able to map that into the full range of the specific flight control input with some reasonable number of control points and/or curve shapes.

Ok and this might be pushing it, but:

* PSVR cinematic mode headtracking only. I actually tried PSVR in cinematic mode, (roughly) manually matching my head movements with my DS4 yaw+pitch headlook, and it really could be the next best thing from having actual stereoscopic VR rendering. At times I actually managed to forgot (briefly) I wasn't properly headtracked.

Basically this would just be the "DS4 on your head" scenario but using the PSVR built-in tracking with sensor fusion + camera, which is way more reliable with a reasonable "return-to-zero" compared to PS4 orientation tracking using internal sensors only. I just don't know and honestly can't be bothered to look up if this would be considered a breach of Sony's VR dev policy or not, since it's kind of halfway between full VR and just plain cinematic mode rendering in the headset which is currently just fine for any PS4 content (policy-wise).

I would consider PSVR a must-have but I know it's not realistic (I work in the AR/VR industry so I'm reasonably confident based on what I have witnessed, that even on PS4 Pro, without some specific optimisations, VR support would be a no-go on the current rendering engine of E: D).

Oh, and a cosmetic cherry on top:

Now that I've made all these nice and polite requests which surely guarantee that sweet HOSAS support in a future update, holo-me should also include options to switch the cockpit setup from HOTAS to HOSAS. Heck, while we're at it, why not model KB+M as an option, too :D

I would like to add the following request: Please give console players the ability to turn off the HUD, like our PC counterparts have via a 3-key salute. It could be bindable control and / or a "switch" in our Ship Function Panel along with the lights, night-vision, etc.

Speaking of, if any PC players are reading this, would you mind replying with a screenshot of what your cockpit / bridge looks like when you "turn off the lights", please? I'm hoping it's similar to what happens when our ship is hit with a Thargoid shutdown field, except that we retain control of our ship.

Well I'm certainly not idle at work but a couple more PS specific requests popped to my mind so

* Show L2/R2, L3/R3, and touchpad corners in the context menu pop-up screen. With so many bindings I'll gladly take a quick reminder of my mappings for each and every button instead of just the d-pad and L1/R1, thank you very much.

* Utilize the official PS Second Screen app for 2D GUI operations. I would definitely hang my phone from the controller if I could access even a single panel or even better, a full tabbed set of panels with software buttons and why not the ship HUD system/comms/target/role panels as well. Would free up quite a few buttons on the DS4 for other stuff and this would actually be quite an advantage over PC where you need to e.g. stare at the refinery GUI while getting shot at.

* Emulate mouse with the touchpad, including the option to map it for flight controls. I would welcome a secondary pitch+yaw on the touchpad for that final touch when I'm pointing roughly at the enemy but I need precision to land those rail gun hits. Or a secondary input for fwd/rev and lateral thrusters for landing.

What would i like?
I know it's not going to happen but PSVR support.

More ships or more ship customisation.

More covas voices, obsidian ant would make a great covas voice.

What's going on with limpets? You need space for the limpets which I understand but why a separate slot for each controller?
How about just one control module?
a Level 1 module controls 1 type of limpet. Level 2 can control 2 different types or 2 of the same. Etc.
You could choose the controller configuration when you purchase and make changes at outfitting stations for a fee
Or...
Repair limpets could also break hatches or cut through the hull of other ships. (Attack robots)
Collector limpets could also carry fuel (or steal fuel after breaking the hatch)
Prospector limpets could also do a complete detailed surface scan with 1 limpet.

I seem to be converging onto a reasonable control mapping for the DS4 but it's still annoyingly compromise-rich. Since ED already supports DS4 motion sensors to full effect for headlook, how about the following:

* Enable roll, pitch and yaw using the DS4 motion sensors. Motion sensors do support full 6DOF but I'm willing to argue just 3DOF + thumbsticks could make DS4 a viable alternative even in the presence of HOTAS or KBAM. This feature would work similarly to headlook but would drive flight rotation instead.

* Pips bindable to an analog axis. Now considering how DS4 runs short on inputs, that may sound insane. But considering the other suggestion above, this actually pans out rather nicely. Control the pips by rotating a cursor on the perimeter of a circle, where each 30* sector maps to a specific pips configuration as in the image below:

yj2m5Br.jpg

The above two features would enable something not achievable with the current DS4 control schemes:

- Full continuous access to 6DOF flight controls without sacrificing any button for "alternate control scheme" or having to hide any of the 6 degrees of freedom behind combos or buttons hard to reach especially when you're busy doing other stuff like pew-pew,

- D-pad available as a bonus quick-access "four-way hat" for other priority functions besides pips (e.g. SR/SCB/HS/chaff ), and

- Right hand would be rather free for near continuous control over pips and the functions bound to face buttons. If you mapped LS for lateral and vertical thrusters, rotations to motion sensors, then it would leave just fwd/rev for RS Y and pip wheel control for RS X.

What would i like?
I know it's not going to happen but PSVR support.

More ships or more ship customisation.

More covas voices, obsidian ant would make a great covas voice.

What's going on with limpets? You need space for the limpets which I understand but why a separate slot for each controller?
How about just one control module?
a Level 1 module controls 1 type of limpet. Level 2 can control 2 different types or 2 of the same. Etc.
You could choose the controller configuration when you purchase and make changes at outfitting stations for a fee
Or...
Repair limpets could also break hatches or cut through the hull of other ships. (Attack robots)
Collector limpets could also carry fuel (or steal fuel after breaking the hatch)
Prospector limpets could also do a complete detailed surface scan with 1 limpet.
obsolete ant a good covas??? i want to play not to fall asleep so no thank you!!! iwould vomit all day long otherwise

1. in left side panel get access to infornation without having tk ipen the system map
2. in left panel find last system visited
3. when travelling in a system get access to object/sration or port info without having to go to thd system map
4. open base construction and development on planet
5. reasearch tool in the commodity menu or a by category
6. add to the galaxy map commodoty location the amount of commodity

All the UI work, yet no updates to PS4 options. Still lacking keyboard bindings. Still lacking axis sensitivity. No graphics options to speak of.

Oh well. Another day in the forgotten console land. :(

We need to be able to switch controls from HOTAS to controller without restarting the game. Navigating menus and the Galaxy map as well as driving the SRV is awful with the HOTAS.

I'm on a regular PS4 and ED's performance has never been fantastic*, but it was okay early on. However, it seems to be getting worse over time. It's been slightly annoying for a long while (probably since 2.4) but this current state (April update & early May patch) is so bad it's making me just not want to play - and I love this game.

If FDev can't optimise ED for the PS4 enough to make it always run smoothly then perhaps they could at least give us some graphics options to turn off in the hope of getting smoother frame rates.

[edit] * compared to most other PS4 titles I have.

Last edited:
Could we get a vocal warning “last main sequence star on route”
A dashboard indication that hard points are deployed. (Beneath cargo scoop, there’s space there)
The option to have UI default to hidden when you switch to camera suite.

I still keep coming back to the idea of DS4 motion for flight controls!

Most of the code and the proof of concept is already there in the headlook feature. It's such a low hanging fruit and with a hold-for-effect, toggle and/or press-to-reset button to accompany it, the result certainly can't be worse than trying to map 6 analog axes into two puny thumbsticks and a bunch of digital buttons.

Make each of the DS4's six motion axes independently mappable as analog axes for input binding. You could do any combination of motion + thumbsticks + buttons to your liking. Add sensitivity and deadzone and there you go, DS4 becomes a true 3D mouse and a viable contender versus KBAM. And certainly no less immersive than a traditional mouse as an input device.

I would sign all the required NDAs and volunteer to implement this myself... Heck, I would spend some vacation days and fly my butt over to Cambridge to code it, free of charge.

Top Bottom