Modes Master Griefer List

Try pirating void opals off players, you will see how rampant it is... Oh right they all developed connection problems after receiving a comms message... lol

How do you know they are not using a menu log, which is allowed and only on a 15-second timer?

And considering they can start that timer the moment the interdiction mini-game starts (as far as I'm aware you can, never done it so could be wrong).
How much time has passed before you actually drop out and can try to steal from them?
How easy is it for someone to make a ship to last those 15 seconds just to mess with you?

Don't misunderstand. I'm not a fan of that tactic, if people choose to play in open then they should play properly.
But accusing everyone of cheating is on the same level as pirates being accused of being murder hobos / "griefers".
You don't like being lumped in through over generalisation, yet are willing to over generalise.

See my point yet?

How do you know they are not using a menu log, which is allowed and only on a 15-second timer?

And considering they can start that timer the moment the interdiction mini-game starts (as far as I'm aware you can, never done it so could be wrong).
How much time has passed before you actually drop out and can try to steal from them?
How easy is it for someone to make a ship to last those 15 seconds just to mess with you?

Don't misunderstand. I'm not a fan of that tactic, if people choose to play in open then they should play properly.
But accusing everyone of cheating is on the same level as pirates being accused of being murder hobos / "griefers".
You don't like being lumped in through over generalisation, yet are willing to over generalise.

See my point yet?

You seem quite determined to argue about a subject that the community has pretty much accepted as a widespread problem. You are trying to argue that the majority of combat logging cases are misunderstandings or technical failures. That's not my experience... especially when they brag or smack talk about it in local chat before/after the encounter.

Basically if you get outed and you are innocent, challenge it and explain what happened. I did and got the accusation rescinded.

Powderpanic

Banned
You seem quite determined to argue about a subject that the community has pretty much accepted as a widespread problem. You are trying to argue that the majority of combat logging cases are misunderstandings or technical failures. That's not my experience... especially when they brag or smack talk about it in local chat before/after the encounter.

Basically if you get outed and you are innocent, challenge it and explain what happened. I did and got the accusation rescinded.

2t6ss2.jpg

Powderpanic
The Voice of Griefing

Also, what "evidence"?

Evidence ranges from encountering someone who always seems to lose connection at just the opportune moment, while having a stable connection otherwise, to overt admissions of guilt.

Moderation edit: Image removed due to profanities

Unintentional disconnections certainly happen, but with repeat encounters it quickly becomes clear who is doing it intentionally. The CMDR with the colorful language in that image is someone I have seen deliberately disconnect to save his ship at least three times, all while in the process of seal-clubbing around Engineer systems and other points of interest. By his own admission, he's saved more money by cheating out of consequences than his CMDR has earned over the course of his time in game. Pretty sure he's still playing.

A menu log looks quite different from a sudden disconnection. The most obvious difference is that someone logging off via menu takes damage until virtually the instant they disappear. Losing connection causes one's ship to repeat the last thing it was doing, while not taking any damage, until it times out.

Not that menu logging was intended as a get out of rebuy free card anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can't we name and shame these weasels? Are FD coping out and doing us a disservice here?

No it is a smart decision by FDev.
They should keep the forums out of this.

Someone could start a separate website if they feel a master griefer list is needed.

I have my personal spreadsheet with perhaps 20 names on it, if that..., but nowadays I mostly play solo anyway.

... a subject that the community has pretty much accepted as a widespread problem.

Sorry, but that's just not the case. In two years' play I've never combat logged and never seen anyone combat log. It's therefore hard for me to see it as a widespread problem, and I wouldn't say it's something FD need to "fix".

I don't doubt that others see it, but I think they're a minority. No-one in my circle of acquaintances in-game complains about it.

Sorry, but that's just not the case. In two years' play I've never combat logged and never seen anyone combat log. It's therefore hard for me to see it as a widespread problem, and I wouldn't say it's something FD need to "fix".

I don't doubt that others see it, but I think they're a minority. No-one in my circle of acquaintances in-game complains about it.

Do you play in open, on the bad side of the law?

Because when I did some humble open piracy I was shocked that 90% of targets either vanish by instancing shenanigans or combat logging.
And that was with roleplay text, a clear pirate ship name and "pirate" as designation and no reputation at all as griefer (cause I don't grief).

I guess that's really the minority of players, but for those on the "wrong" side of the law it is extremely annoying.
(Contrary to some open only proponents I don't give a whatever to "combat logging" in solo/PG, but in open it's baaaaaaad).

Not that menu logging was intended as a get out of rebuy free card anyway.

Well no, it shouldn't be.
Every MMO I've ever played before that has a logout timer, it was always 30 seconds.
I think FDev messed up having 15 seconds and perhaps they should revisit that decision.

Also, as we now have that server for persistent mission boards, they should think about also using it for keeping CMDRs ships in the game if they suddenly drop out.
It may "encourage" some folks to stop combat logging and go play in PGs / Solo if they don't want to have PvP.

Well no, it shouldn't be.
Every MMO I've ever played before that has a logout timer, it was always 30 seconds.
I think FDev messed up having 15 seconds and perhaps they should revisit that decision.

Also, as we now have that server for persistent mission boards, they should think about also using it for keeping CMDRs ships in the game if they suddenly drop out.
It may "encourage" some folks to stop combat logging and go play in PGs / Solo if they don't want to have PvP.

I think they should do a VO. Your ship is retained in the instance for five minute. (docked in station would result in the the usual mechanic of the ship vansihing upon log)

I've not spectacular internet, but if I dc in combat so be it. I'll eat a few rebuys for the trade of making serial combat loggers bankrupt.

yea for those who do have that issue though.. even in Solo it would suuuuuck.

I should'nt think it would effect solo play. Being no server node to hold the ship there, you simply woul be removed from the game upon hiting the "log out" button.

This is a suggestion strictly for open/PG's where there is player interaction. Solo mode gets a free pass. Do whatever you like there, because it much less likely to have an effect on anothers gameplay. (Obviously BGS nonwithstanding but thats another topic)

I should'nt think it would effect solo play. Being no server node to hold the ship there, you simply woul be removed from the game upon hiting the "log out" button.

This is a suggestion strictly for open/PG's where there is player interaction. Solo mode gets a free pass. Do whatever you like there, because it much less likely to have an effect on anothers gameplay. (Obviously BGS nonwithstanding but thats another topic)

Yeah, with Mega on this one too. Heck, folks should be encouraged to use Solo mode for when their connection is spotty because that's just the right thing to do. Why punish you for that? Nope.

Yeah, with Mega on this one too. Heck, folks should be encouraged to use Solo mode for when their connection is spotty because that's just the right thing to do. Why punish you for that? Nope.

It does still handle like a pig though. Disconnects are only marginally less common in solo play.

My last four hours I've bothered trying to play for has just been jumping out from the star towards the station, being Dc'd on drop at the station, respawning right back at the star.

Dunno what's up with ED at the moment but it's a travesty.

Hate to say it, but I have a feeling all the avalible bandwith Amazon allocates this game is eaten by the DW2 expedition.

Funny how they go on and on about griefing and now noone can play the game ho hum.

Maybe I misunderstood.. I am going from the getting DC'd aspect... and being stuck ingame for 30 seconds unable to fight back if in a fight. If it worked only for log out I would support it.

Just fly into busy systems in pg or solo. Watch the cross mode chat. Identify the names of gankers, and pre-emptively block them after a quick pop into open once they show on your contacts list. Quit the game, relaunch and viola - a different gaming experience. What's the expression ? A clever use of in-game mechanics?

Just fly into busy systems in pg or solo. Watch the cross mode chat. Identify the names of gankers, and pre-emptively block them after a quick pop into open once they show on your contacts list. Quit the game, relaunch and viola - a different gaming experience. What's the expression ? A clever use of in-game mechanics?

I just dont see this happening much longer TBH.

Top Bottom