Modes Master Griefer List

Maybe I misunderstood.. I am going from the getting DC'd aspect... and being stuck ingame for 30 seconds unable to fight back if in a fight. If it worked only for log out I would support it.

So what you're saying is provided you can still cut your line and internet you're fine with it?

The point of this is to kill combat logging.
Seeing as FDev seem unwilling to move the game onto dedicated servers they can't monitor real time server traffic, meaning they can't do anythig about logging.

The whole point of this is to disuade people from Clogging or using the logout timer outside of stations.

Unfotunatly they have no way to differentiate between a log, or a Dc.

I've already stated that I'm more than hapy to eat a few rebuys to get the cheaters bankrupt. Are you? Or are you one of them?

Last edited:
Just fly into busy systems in pg or solo. Watch the cross mode chat. Identify the names of gankers, and pre-emptively block them after a quick pop into open once they show on your contacts list. Quit the game, relaunch and viola - a different gaming experience. What's the expression ? A clever use of in-game mechanics?

Nooo.

Thats blocking people who "might" be a problem. Quite frankly, thats just toxic.

Worst than people ganking actually. Rather than ever bothering to let people prove who they are, nah, you'll just block everyone, i mean stuff them right?

Pfft. Unpleasent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nooo.

Thats blocking people who "might" be a problem. Quite frankly, thats just toxic.

Worst than people ganking actually. Rather than ever bothering to let people prove who they are, nah, you'll just block everyone, i mean stuff them right?

Pfft. Unpleasent.

I feel like if you want to play in open yet feel the need to go on preemptive banning sprees based on what might happen, Elite isn't the game for you.

In fact, you might be due for some skin-thickening in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like if you want to play in open yet feel the need to go on preemptive banning sprees based on what might happen, Elite isn't the game for you.

The whole gankee vs ganker business is starting to look more and more comical as time goes on.

I'm honestly not sure I've ever been part of a gaming community that is so utterly phobic of PvP.

It really is very strange.

The whole gankee vs ganker business is starting to look more and more comical as time goes on.

I'm honestly not sure I've ever been part of a gaming community that is so utterly phobic of PvP.

It really is very strange.

Sorta like CCW "good guys" waiting for those "bad guys" to show up? ;)

Yeah, it's like that. Phobias and all.

Perhaps you should stick to your day job. Psychoanalysis clearly isn't cut out for you.

Last edited:

It's strange... or not.

When you have some players who go out of their way to demean and belittle others, including the antics of their streams and how they treat some other players after the fact. And they post their commander names in a public place, well if you have a problem with that type of gameplay why would you not block them?

The might is illusory since its unlikely a leopard can (or would) change its spots. With that in mind I can easily see why people would put them on block, but still be willing to give others a chance, especially since there are a lot of great commanders out there even if they are pirates or what have you.

What is surprising is that people who vocally promote themselves out of game (ie. the toxic comments and goading in streams) as numpties are upset that some people will block them.

Of course the toxicity exsists on both sides of the issue and I would suggest you block them as well if you find them so.

To block or not to block, its up to the individual and getting upset about it (re the grow up, get a thicker skin) is pretty silly, just move on you loose nothing.

Nooo.

Pfft. Unpleasent.

Relax. It's just a game. Just pixels on a screen. Nothing to get worked up over. :)

Nooo.

Pfft. Unpleasent.

In the present DW2 example it's blocking people who have said they are a problem (they published a list of themselves and described their intentions). Is that an intermediate case?

In the present DW2 example it's blocking people who have said they are a problem (they published a list of themselves and described their intentions). Is that an intermediate case?

Not particularly.

I'd say it's a little slimy to preemptively block anyone based on hearsay and what the post on the forums. (The latter being especially ridiculous as a good portion of people on here exist soley to stir the pot and are probably as nice and normal as you and I)

Unless someone has commited an act against you that is actually antisocial, like being abusive, and or harrassing you constantly in gmae, then blockin gfolks is just a childish overreaction to the risk of adversity.

It's also judging someone before you've even spoken to them. As someone that has been on the recieving end of that innumerable times in life, I can assure you, it is not very pleasent for the person you are assuming to be a certain way.

It's the kind of stuff that adults should have grown out of, and it still truly amazes me how many adults simply refuse to give people a chance based on either rumor, or a situation that has infact involed zero actual interatction with that person.

More shocking is I'm most certainly on the younger end of this player base, and I understand this perfectly well. Some of the people on here are old enough to be my grandparents and they still have'nt gotten a grip on this.

A very sad world we live in indeed.

Last edited:
It's strange... or not.

When you have some players who go out of their way to demean and belittle others, including the antics of their streams and how they treat some other players after the fact. And they post their commander names in a public place, well if you have a problem with that type of gameplay why would you not block them?

The might is illusory since its unlikely a leopard can (or would) change its spots. With that in mind I can easily see why people would put them on block, but still be willing to give others a chance, especially since there are a lot of great commanders out there even if they are pirates or what have you.

What is surprising is that people who vocally promote themselves out of game (ie. the toxic comments and goading in streams) as numpties are upset that some people will block them.

Of course the toxicity exsists on both sides of the issue and I would suggest you block them as well if you find them so.

To block or not to block, its up to the individual and getting upset about it (re the grow up, get a thicker skin) is pretty silly, just move on you loose nothing.

Blocking someone for verbal abuse over comms or outside the game is certainly understandable. Being unwilling to risk in-game adversity yet still wanting to play in open is... something else.

Being unwilling to risk in-game adversity yet still wanting to play in open is... something else.

Wanting social interactions without constant fighting is quite common in multiplayer games.
And a game that advertises "play your own way" along with the ability to choose whom you play with shows people can just use ED as more of a 3d chat room.

I'd hope the cross-instance chat would go a long way to helping resolve some of the complaints along those lines, for people who want the game as a social outlet.

Blocking someone for verbal abuse over comms or outside the game is certainly understandable. Being unwilling to risk in-game adversity yet still wanting to play in open is... something else.

I dont see the situation as black and white as I feel your post is stating maybe i am wrong?

If the blockee has made the statement (out of game) that his intent is only to mine your salt, and you dont want to enage in that interaction (but dont mind other adversity from others) why is it wrong to block that individual?

Or in the DW2/DG2 situation placing the advertised gankers on a block list until the expedition is over?

Now just blocking long lists of possible numpties is daft (and I would think a little too time intensive) especially when the majority of players in open (when you can find them) are often enjoyable.

Still it ends up being an individuals choice (unless FDev changes things again) and, if you find people blocking toxic, why would you even want to be instanced with them, seems like a win/win, but then I have been accused of being different.

Still I find most times my interactions in open are by and far enjoyable, but I also acknowledge others may not share the experience.

Wanting social interactions without constant fighting is quite common in multiplayer games.
And a game that advertises "play your own way" along with the ability to choose whom you play with shows people can just use ED as more of a 3d chat room.

I'd hope the cross-instance chat would go a long way to helping resolve some of the complaints along those lines, for people who want the game as a social outlet.

I was so confused when the system chat had everyone in it at first and at first a little irritating (shakes fist at kids "get off my lawn") but actually enjoy it now. It has made me more aware of the other messages that come in as well. All in all a good addition to the game.

I would like the option to (on a case by case basis) to be able to just block the coms from some of the more belligerent but the ability to block/unblock completely is sometimes welcome.

If the blockee has made the statement (out of game) that his intent is only to mine your salt, and you dont want to enage in that interaction (but dont mind other adversity from others) why is it wrong to block that individual?

Or in the DW2/DG2 situation placing the advertised gankers on a block list until the expedition is over?

Nothing allowed by the game's mechanics is "wrong", strictly speaking. I'm not saying that blocking isn't a valid option- but to spam it on a long list of commanders (or even a short list, for that matter) who have a history of PvP is... well, a pretty cheesy way of playing.

I just think that a lot of people are trying to craft an experience contrary to not only the spirit of the game, but the spirit of community. Why bother playing in open if you aren't willing to accept the risks? It's like agreeing to a game of Monopoly but refusing to interact with the owner of a property you land on when they try to collect what's due to them.

Believe me: if half the cliches about "griefers" are true, they won't have the attention span to pursue an explorer who has outfitted properly and possesses evasive skills.

Last edited:
Nothing allowed by the game's mechanics is "wrong", strictly speaking. I'm not saying that blocking isn't a valid option- but to spam it on a long list of commanders (or even a short list, for that matter) who have a history of PvP is... well, a pretty cheesy way of playing.

I just think that a lot of people are trying to craft an experience contrary to not only the spirit of the game, but the spirit of community. Why bother playing in open if you aren't willing to accept the risks? It's like agreeing to a game of Monopoly but refusing to interact with the owner of a property you land on when they try to collect what's due to them.

Believe me: if half the cliches about "griefers" are true, they won't have the attention span to pursue an explorer who has outfitted properly and possesses evasive skills.

erm...

Mark Allen:4808539 said:
we're well aware that the majority of players don't get involved in PvP.

Now to me, that says "the spirit of community" is none confrontational. You know, PvE.
And David Braben says he sees ED as a co-op game, add the blocking feature and mode system to this then spirit of the game would also favour PvE, no?

Because I don't see the game pushing any sort of PvP unless you want to hit CQC/Arena.

Why are people trying to chat people up when they’re supposed to be busy flying their ship? Talk to folks when it’s safe to do so.

People flying to Hutton Orbital in VR are watching Netflix while flying their ships.
Nothing like binge-watching Orange is the New Black or Ray Romano on his new special. :)

erm...

Now to me, that says "the spirit of community" is none confrontational. You know, PvE.
And David Braben says he sees ED as a co-op game, add the blocking feature and mode system to this then spirit of the game would also favour PvE, no?

Because I don't see the game pushing any sort of PvP unless you want to hit CQC/Arena.

Sorry, pal. PvP is a valid part of the open-mode game. Nothing is "favoured" by the mechanics or rules just because one activity happens to be done more than the other.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is provided you can still cut your line and internet you're fine with it?

The point of this is to kill combat logging.
Seeing as FDev seem unwilling to move the game onto dedicated servers they can't monitor real time server traffic, meaning they can't do anythig about logging.

The whole point of this is to disuade people from Clogging or using the logout timer outside of stations.

Unfotunatly they have no way to differentiate between a log, or a Dc.

I've already stated that I'm more than hapy to eat a few rebuys to get the cheaters bankrupt. Are you? Or are you one of them?

So to combat the few who are serial Cloggers you want everyone stuck at 30 seconds no matter what. And you magnanimously are willing for YOU to eat a few rebuys to bankrupt them. Yet you have others (myself included) who because of internet issues, and even in solo, will DC... sometimes a LOT. You are willing to bankrupt us as well to go after those who you hate.

I also love your little "Are you? Or are you one of them?" statement... the classic if you don't agree with me and my heavy handed tactics then you agree with them tropes. Ignore everything else... if anyone objects to your heavy handed actions for any logical reason they must instead be nefarious and in "league" with those you hate.

I'm not Clogging against NPCs... but I would like the fair chance to fight them and not be staring at a DC screen then a rebuy when I manage to get back in. And if a person is attacking me in Mobius then they already don't care about rules.

So how about you pay for my rebuys, or pay Comcast $20k to put a node out here.. or otherwise quit trying to heavy hand people who have real problems when playing just so you can make your idea sound like the "right" thing for Fdev to do.

Top Bottom