The first great planetary expedition : Chi Herculis / Kumay (route planning phase)

Currently aiming for a second half/late March start, details yet TBD.

Planning to pick a definite date early this week (not start early this week ... pick a date early this week). How would people feel about the weekend of 23rd March or 30th March.

I'm also going to update the 3D map with an approximate route line and then maybe spend this week filling in a few blanks and nailing it down a bit more precisely.

Just been doing some interesting research with AltoOrbita on resource depletion. So we were both at geo site #3 and basically stripped it bare of all it resources (resources which are part of the shared instance - i.e. if I see picious cobble he sees picious cobble and if I shoot it into phosphorous he see phosphorous). We then both jumped back into orbit, turned around and glided back down to the site ... which was still depleted. So I guess geo sites have some kind of timeout on them before they replenish.

I'm not actually worried about this for the purposes of our expedition mat's because I think we'll all have plenty of occasions while travelling where we're not instances with anyone and can gather what we need from randomly spawning outcrops, chrondite's etc. I'd suggest not relying on the geo sites for your resource gathering tho, expecially if we're meeting up at them, since what they have to offer won't go far between 20 of us and will remain depleted for some time after.

I started a thread on the Xbox forums some time ago to plug this event. Sadly it hasn't generated any interest so far. I don't know if its been posted on the PS4 forum. I'm beginning to think I'm the only console Cmdr interested in this event. [blah]

Out of curiosity, how close are we to setting a date?

We have Buanzox who's a lone PS4 explorer at the moment.

A couple days ago while tooling around the planet surface it go super glitchy. Not only did I have floating rock I would drop into the surface a lot. What I did was just log back into menu and then back into game again. It seemed to solve all the rendering issues I was having.

Half buried in surface.
FKT625k.jpg

Photo of SRV from beneath planet surface

E47RfxW.jpg

Rocks and right sidw of SRV floating

EBfVt1y.jpg

I have about 4 -5 hours mucking about on the moon and this is the first time i noticed any issues of this kind.

Caliber

We have Buanzox who's a lone PS4 explorer at the moment.

It may be possible that a few commanders (console and PC) are waiting for a date to be announced to see if it fits in the time they may have. Also a route but I doubt that would factor into nearly as much as a date.

Caliber

Hope it is ok to add more POIs.;

An awesome looking gorge that is close to 2 KM deep. It is at 17 north and 81 latatude.

The Gorge

EOCB5gk.jpg

wbCGFWL.jpg

14Uj4Y0.jpg

gULB36V.jpg

Will update spread sheet
Caliber

Yes, it's OK to add more POI's.

So, my plan this week:

- pick a start date (although originally thinking this would be late afternoon UK time one weekend at the end of this month I'm actually now thinking, personally at least, I'd rather start early evening on a weekday)

- mark the vague route on the 3D map, refining it as the start date approaches

- fly over the entire route doing a final check of all the waypoints and attempting to fill in any blanks with little things to visit, even if they're just medium sized craters, etc

- at some point (maybe next week) create the 3rd and final forum thread for the expedition itself

I'm hoping, once all that's done, to just go and do something completely different for a week. We're about to spend at least a month down on this planet, don't want to get sick of it before we've even begun.

In the meantime there's a few things (homework if you like) that people can be doing:

- practicing your SRV driving, see if you can get up to extended periods at over 40m/s

- material gathering for SRV repair and refuel

- make friends with each other (there's names listed in the OP of this thread as well as on the Discord, start sending friend requests), we won't always be together as a big group but I'm hoping people will still meet up with others and do stretches of the journey in little groups of two or three - personally I tend to play between 5:30am and 7:30am weekdays so I don't expect to run into many of you at that time (although obviously I'll try to be there for each of the waypoint meetups).

I sort of hate to even bring this up, but should there be a private group for this expedition? Just to avoid unpleasantness at start / end / waypoint meetups?

Last edited:
I sort of hate to even bring this up, but should there be a private group for this expedition? Just to avoid unpleasantness at start / end / waypoint meetups?

We've decided to start off in open but if we have any issues we'll go to a private group.

This was talked about in the Discord group, check out the OP for more information.

Last edited:
I think (unless anyone has any alternatives or suggested tweaks) we have a logo for the expedition courtesy of AkenBosch over on the Discord ...

Last edited:
Alec, if I may suggest, if you're going to have people adding one another as friends could you add a tag for console users. That way for example PC Cmdrs won't have to bother trying to figure why they can't add me an Xbox player.

Also will there be some place that waypoints and events will be listed outside of Discord for folk that don't use Discord?

I've updated the (fairly informal - I was just trying to vaguely keep track of numbers) OP rosta slightly to split out the different platforms.

On the subject of Discord, it's fairly trivial to install and use and a good place for general conversation and voice chat during the expedition (better than this forum and, unlike in-game comms ... cross platform).

But yes - the full list of waypoints, events etc will appear in a third (and final) forum thread that I'm going to start this week. Because of the 3D nature of a planetary expedition the interactive 3D map will probably be the definitive reference for the route (is anyone having any problem seeing/using that) but I'll also include a simple list of waypoints with coordinates.

This is also probably a good time to mention that, at present, I have no firm idea of timescales for various legs of the journey. My plan for the first meetup after departure is to try and monitor peoples progress towards the first POI on the map and gauge average speed from there. Once we get into some kind of rythmn I should be able to set reasonable dates for further meetups but the first few are probably going to be a bit haphazard (hence my advice on forging your own friendships on this trip and creating your own adventures along the way). I don't want to leave stragglers behind so one plan I have is to set "advanced" waypoints for those making significantly faster progress. All this will to evolve slightly as we go along tho.

When it comes to organisation I'm no Drkaii or Erimus ... don't expect speaches or regular newsletters! :p

Last edited:
Also will there be some place that waypoints and events will be listed outside of Discord for folk that don't use Discord?

Hi Statis Wolf, I've only just started using Discord myself for this expedition installing it on a PC and mobile.
I'm finding it easy enough to use although I haven't got it on my main gaming PC for game overlays.
Maybe give it a try with this easy going group of Cmdrs?

Ok, I sent the PC CMDR's a friend request. Note that it's a request from my alt "Kokor Hekkus". Jonas is unavailable, currently exploring somewhere between Sagittarius A* and Beagle Point...

3D map with the beginnnings of a route ...

https://www.maptoglobe.com/ByEOI1NUN

Still some blanks to fill in and things to check (pretty sure there's some nice blue valleys West of BVV that we can visit without deviating as far East as BVV). Oh, and I figured we should attempt to cross as close as possible directly across each of the poles while we're there too.

I like it very much, although previous version had 3 SRVs and I think it reflected the "group" part of the expedition more.
That distinction is missing now - from both name and illustration.

I agree, I have the same issue with that at the moment, I posted it on Discord more as general concept for the general and SRV appearance (fonts to be refined, writings to be refined, final colours to be determined), glad it's been appreciated so much though!

Current problem is that I'm struggling with shrinking that SRV and having again three of them without cluttering the image or having details too fine to go along well with the rest of the image (and for potential printing)...was doing some additional tests but I've just seen over at Discord that you have well and truly beaten me to it. ;)

Top Bottom