FDev licences new IP for 2021 game, starts dev later in 2019

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/news/market/6336240/IP-Licence-Agreement

Frontier Developments plc (AIM: FDEV, "Frontier", the "Company"), a leading developer and publisher of video games based in Cambridge, confirms that it has signed a major global IP licence to develop and publish a future game (the "Game"). Frontier anticipates a development cycle for the Game of approximately two years, with development expected to commence later in calendar year 2019.

The licence agreement entitles Frontier to develop and publish the Game, together with subsequent associated paid downloadable content, worldwide on both PC and console.

David Braben, Chief Executive, said: "We are delighted to confirm that one of our future releases will benefit from a major global IP licence. We are excited about our existing franchises and our future portfolio. We will continue to love, support and enhance our existing game franchises as we build new ones."

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/ne...lopments-got-another-monster-hit-on-its-hands

Frontier Developments doesn’t specify if the new game flagged today is a completely new project or refers to franchise 5 or 6, games previously said to be in the planning stages. The AIM-quoted company is especially good at keeping its sensitive game and launch specifics under wraps until they are revealed to fans and customers.

What we do know is the licence agreement entitles Frontier Developments to develop and publish the game, together with subsequent associated paid downloadable content, worldwide on both PC and console formats, and that development should begin later in calendar 2019.

Frontier’s founder and CEO David Braben, revered in video game circles for his co-authorship of the seminal Elite game, says ‘we are delighted to confirm that one of our future releases will benefit from a major global IP licence.

'We are excited about our existing franchises and our future portfolio. We will continue to love, support and enhance our existing game franchises as we build new ones.’

Last edited:
Dredd vs Death 4! Mega Cities and the same call I put in the last sweep? You heard it here first (again).

Last edited:
I suspect it's connected to some other movie franchise like Jurassic World. It could be Avatar II or Dune or something similar.

At least now we know why there will be no development on Elite until end of 2020. They're all busy on the new stuff, so don't expect much by way of bug fixing over the next 12 months

Let the speculation commence!

A good guess might be like with Jurassic World. Look for franchises that have a film release coming up around that time and where the market isn't already saturated with games for that franchise (eg: Don't expect a Marvel game). Also something that might work well as a park management game, which seems to be FD's forte.

Hmm... a new Indiana Jones movie is planned for 2021. Or... hey... i think i've got it. Avatar 3 is planned. That could synergise very well with ED's planetary generation tech and space stuff.

Ok, i'm calling it, its going to be based on Avatar. First or third person. You play as a human in an Avatar interacting with the natives. I'm guessing single player story, but multiplayer might be a possibility. Maybe even the ability to fly or drive various craft or those ride various creatures.

From James Cameron

It's going to be a lot of new imagery and a lot of new environments and creatures across Pandora. We're blowing it out all over the place. At first I thought I was going to take it onto other worlds as well, in the same solar system, but it turned out not to be necessary. I mean the Pandora that we have imagined will be a fantasy land that is going to occupy people for decades to come, the way I see it. ... There's a fair bit of underwater stuff. It's been inaccurately said that the second film takes place underwater. That's not true. There are underwater scenes and surface-water scenes having to do with indigenous ocean cultures that are distributed across the three films.

So different biomes.

My guess here is FD have got some different biome tech ready for ED, enough to show off in principle to the IP owners to impress them, and will use that. Think about it, FD will be going for alien looking biomes as well as terrestial ones, so its a perfect match! Assuming of course FD are so far along with their development of stuff for ED... which is rather uncertain to say the least.

----------------------------------------------------------------

They should make Star Citizen 2

Technically speaking it would be Star Citizen 1 as it would be out first.

There might be issues with the name as well. Perhaps it could be called Star Citizer. They could release a single player version called Squadron 41 as well.

Lynch version please.

While the Lynch version is probably my favourite film of all time, i'd prefer something based on the books really.

Also, its more likely to be based on the Villeneuve version. But i don't think so. That's meant to be out before 2021. However, delays happen.

Still, i'd laugh my rear end off if FD did that. Imagine that. Sandworms in a FD game before CI!G do it (and of course, its not certain they could actually get away with it, IP licencing and all, Herbert's estate might come down on them if they tried it).

Chuckie Egg: Dangerous

Multiplayer, with the obligatory people saying that its called Chuckie Egg: Dangerous, not Chuckie Egg: Harmless.

PS: Git gud.

Funcom grabbed the Dune licence last week

One down then. Emperor: Battle for Dune remains the best ever Dune franchise game in my opinion. I keep it installed for when i get the itch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lynch version please.
If it's Dune, it'll be Villeneuve's reboot. It's planned release late 2020 though, so it's probably not Dune anyway.

As long as it's not a turn-based strategy, it's fine with me, either way.
If Frontier made a Dune game, it would be to make your own Dune planet. Some sand here. Some sand there. A pile of sand here. Hmmm... what else, a little city, village, and a worm... and some sand over there. :D

Funcom grabbed the Dune licence last week
Ah. Bummer. Would've been cool if FD got it.

Elite: Dune.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom