Docking Call Sign fallback rule

I bought a new ship (a Cutter) for a specific task yesterday & have not yet named it. When a docking request is approved I hear the station manager state "Gutamaya zero-zero-zero...".

In the audio options I have callsign set to shipname, but this ship doesn't have a name. I think it should have a logical test here where if the ship has no name AND callsign = ship name, it should default to ship ID (since an unaltered ship will always have an ID). If the ID is also missing (a deliberate act) it should revert to Cmdr Name.

Using zero-zero-zero seems an odd choice when other identifiers are available. A player that normally names their ships flying a ship that has not yet been named isn't an uncommon logical branch, IIRC it used to just use the ship type (eg I M P for Imperial Cutter).

I bought a new ship (a Cutter) for a specific task yesterday & have not yet named it. When a docking request is approved I hear the station manager state "Gutamaya zero-zero-zero...".

In the audio options I have callsign set to shipname, but this ship doesn't have a name. I think it should have a logical test here where if the ship has no name AND callsign = ship name, it should default to ship ID (since an unaltered ship will always have an ID). If the ID is also missing (a deliberate act) it should revert to Cmdr Name.

Using zero-zero-zero seems an odd choice when other identifiers are available. A player that normally names their ships flying a ship that has not yet been named isn't an uncommon logical branch, IIRC it used to just use the ship type (eg I M P for Imperial Cutter).

That is a bit strange. It should at least give out whatever the first 3 letters are for the ship. ie imp for imperial cutter.

That is a bit strange. It should at least give out whatever the first 3 letters are for the ship. ie imp for imperial cutter.

The ship type used to be displayed if no ship name was entered, now it is blank (which does make sense). Presumably the zero-zero-zero callsign is connected to this change.

I don't know when this change occurred, I usually fly named ships.

Last edited:
If it read out your ID or Cmdr name instead, wouldn't you then go to options to check that it hadn't changed from the Ship-name setting you thought you'd set? At least with the 0-0-0 you know it hasn't changed and it reminds you that your ship is un-named.

If it read out your ID or Cmdr name instead, wouldn't you then go to options to check that it hadn't changed from the Ship-name setting you thought you'd set? At least with the 0-0-0 you know it hasn't changed and it reminds you that your ship is un-named.

That is true & what I did. I quickly realised it was because I hadn't named the ship (and have now named it). I'm not sure that naming a ship to get rid of a minor irritation should be required, I certainly wouldn't want to change my audio settings because I bought a new ship & hadn't given it a name yet either, hence my proposal :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom