Meet the Team and Q&A - Sam Denney

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well that's all from me tonight, sorry I couldn't get more replies done but I'm still not 100%. I will be back tomorrow to answer more of your questions and I hope you found this informative.

Goodnight folks! [happy]

Dont worry Sam!
Great and exciting answers there [big grin]

We've managed to create a list that we feel satisfies your criteria, ranging from vintage to contemporary and even some potential prototypes all based on real-world designs.

I hope there will not be to far from real, I didn't like so much the prototypes in rct 3 wild and I think there is so many real rides to recreate before doing non- existing one.

Last edited:
Just only 26 days to go until the start of March. (Just have to rub that one in a little bit) [big grin]

Please tell your colleagues, and his royal Davidness to offer access March 1st :)

My bug tolerance is very high. I know there will be more obvious issues the sooner access is allowed, but overall I really think that (having followed other games), the small cost of the general public seeing ugly bugs and missing elements is more than countered by the extra time allowed for community feedback. Especially for a game of this type - IE a game that will sell, and sell, and sell, years after release so long as it's refined to be as good as possible during it's development cycle.

Please?? :)

Last edited:

Sawyer1

Planet Coaster Ambassador
And 57 days to the end of March. So not that long to early access. [yesnod][big grin]

Just only 26 days to go until the start of March. (Just have to rub that one in a little bit) [big grin]

tumblr_inline_n3fgbvZ9hZ1r9uzqb.gif

Sam Denney

Lead Artist
Frontier
I've read rumors that art made in the original two RCT games were made in LightWave. Is that true? [noob]

What's your take on art/rides/mods made by users in the community?

IF modding is a possibility either from the get go or as time goes by; any pointers on detail level/polycount restrictions/texture size, PBR or Spec/gloss workflow?
Not rides per se, but.. somewhat interesting either way for all of us I guess.

Will you please forward the wish for a "free camera" mode in order to float around and make the very best of angles, zoom, dolly, pan/tilt and such to show off our own designs to the community? [hehe] As a followup and plus to that : support for 3D Connexxion hardware to control the camera in this mode would be even more awesome. [yum]

Good evening folks! It's good to be back again :)

Hi OlaHaldor

"I've read rumors that art made in the original two RCT games were made in LightWave. Is that true? [noob]"

When I worked on RCT2 the source files we received were built in an early version of cinema 4D, this made for an interesting development process as we had to reverse engineer how RCT2 was built with very little hard background information. This tied our hands quite a bit and we had little access to the engines core and could only re-imagine existing rides. But I'm very proud of what our team managed to achieve with such contained set of working parameters. I remember spending months building tens of thousands of sprites for new coasters, amusement rides and scenery. This is were I really caught the bug for roller coasters.

On a side not I worked with Lightwave for about 5 years in previous companies. i loved the modeller and having a separate layout program made total sense [yesnod]

"What's your take on art/rides/mods made by users in the community?

IF modding is a possibility either from the get go or as time goes by; any pointers on detail level/polycount restrictions/texture size, PBR or Spec/gloss workflow?
Not rides per se, but.. somewhat interesting either way for all of us I guess."

Modding was a big part of what kept RCT3 alive for so many years and that has not gone unnoticed by us. We've been inspired by what the community has managed to create with our game. Some of the things we've seen have been absolutely breathtaking.

I think it's too early to discuss if we'll have modding within Planet Coaster but as I've said, we understand it's potential.

As for advice on modding in general - Keep it clean, optimise wherever possible without compromising the quality. It's surprising how much a difference having clean, efficient UV layouts and topology makes to overall performance. We use a metalness, spec gloss workflow in our engine which has bought new challenges but also given us a powerful tool kit to create some beautiful surfaces. I'm a total control freak when it comes to keeping things efficient, tidy and having realistic surface response. Also anything mechanical should have a justification for how it works (pistons, gearing, cables should all be visible if possible) What you'll see in March is just the beginning and already we think it's looking stunning. I often double-take when I'm walking past desks because I keep thinking I'm seeing a photo or video of a real ride!

"Will you please forward the wish for a "free camera" mode in order to float around and make the very best of angles, zoom, dolly, pan/tilt and such to show off our own designs to the community? [hehe] As a followup and plus to that : support for 3D Connexxion hardware to control the camera in this mode would be even more awesome"

We want to show off the game in the best light possible and we'll endeavour to give you guys all the tools we can to help you explore and show-off your creations - consider both requests passed on to our code and design teams [squeeeeee]

Sam Denney

Lead Artist
Frontier
Hey Sam!
Great to see someone who's working on the rides.

My question is:
How does the excitement rate work for rides/coasters? What factors are involved? (intensity/nausea/surroundings..)

Hi MrPizzaCrust

A pleasure to meet you too :)

I'm sure this will be picked up by one of our design leads when he gets the pleasure to chat with you guys but I can tell you that the actual physical motion of the ride animations drive the guests animations this will in turn help drive the ride ratings. We also have looked into multiple operation modes for rides that are suitable and this could also affect the ratings. We've also looked into ways we can use the scenery placement and theme consistency to help with park ratings but as you could imagine this is a very complex task.

One of the biggest part of Planet Coaster is the guests, they really come to life in the park and you can't help falling in love with these guys, our goal is to give each guest their own personality which will be readable and offer you a real connection that'll help you to understand their wants and needs.

Sam Denney

Lead Artist
Frontier
I have no concerns about coasters and flat rides. But
My question is:

1. What about the water physics and graphics and how the rides interact with that.

2. How much themed scenery we will see at the end game, for example Egypt, jungle, Rome etc.

Hi Palaber1984

"1. What about the water physics and graphics and how the rides interact with that."

We are still in the experimental phase with the water but it's looking very promising. To give you some comfort we've always made our water interactive and beautiful in previous titles and I'm sure we won't make this a small feature. Frontier never does half measures, we always push the boat out (terrible pun I know[mouth shut]). This game has got a lot of development time ahead of it as we build the greatest theme park simulator ever, water rides will no doubt become a large part of this franchise in time to come.

"2. How much themed scenery we will see at the end game, for example Egypt, jungle, Rome etc.[/QUOTE]"
Can I just say... Lots and lots of beautifully crafted props and scenery! [yesnod] We are building a legacy here so eventually you'll see pretty much everything [noob] But I'm sworn to secrecy on what's in our release, that'll have to wait for another day I'm afraid....

Sam Denney

Lead Artist
Frontier
Great thread, good to meet you

I like the Eyerly Octopus... Partly because it was my first experience of a fun fair as a young boy.

With all your involvement in the rides, have you had anything to do with the sound of them too? I am really looking forward to hearing how the game sounds.

Hi stuk71

"I like the Eyerly Octopus... Partly because it was my first experience of a fun fair as a young boy."

I'm also a big fan of that ride, there's something quite appealing in the very basic construction, it's functionally beautiful... Also a little terrifying! [knockout]

"With all your involvement in the rides, have you had anything to do with the sound of them too? I am really looking forward to hearing how the game sounds."
We are really lucky to have an amazingly talented and passionate audio team. They have been closer to lots real life roller coasters and amusement rides than any mere mortal, and have produced some breathtaking audio to show for it. We often discuss the audio for every ride as our team is very tight knit and open, they really know their stuff blow my mind every-time! I'm sure you'll hear from them soon (I know, another terrible pun... what is wrong with me tonight??) [noob]

Sam Denney

Lead Artist
Frontier
Thanks for sharing with us Sam.
I just want to know, if we can recolour the tracks and supports, move supports and position them where we want to??
All the best.. from London UK

Hi Prody07

"Thanks for sharing with us Sam."

Always pleasure mate [up] I'm very glad to see you on here [yesnod]

"I just want to know, if we can recolour the tracks and supports, move supports and position them where we want to??"

We have a pretty awesome recolouring system for tracks (and all rides) which is very flexible. Our tracks will have customisable colours for a variety of elements, the trick is to balance it so we don't overload the casual gamer with too much information and complexity but at the same time give the power user, like yourself, the opportunity to create great works of art. This also applies to the coaster support structures; I've created a 16 page document that covers the complex rules for just one track! This is being implemented into our engine and is constantly being refined, the results so far are amazing. Every track has the same diligent approach and as there are so many track types you can imaging how much effort goes into it.
As for custom placement of supports, we'll have to wait and see if it's a feature that will really add to the game mechanics - If it does, we will no doubt build it!

Sam Denney

Lead Artist
Frontier
Well it's time for me to head off to bed! [woah]

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings, it's great to discuss everything rides with like-minded people [yesnod]

I'll be back again tomorrow night with more answers, almost through the first page! Woo!

I have to say it warms our hearts to see how excited you guys are to enjoy Planet Coaster, it's a real honour to be sharing this journey with all of you.

Keep up the good work and goodnight! [hehe]

Again, thank you Sam for more of your answers.
Now that's what I call dedication, Sam has put some very interesting points in his answers and I think we are in for such a great game. You can see this with the dedication the team are putting into it and it looks like there will be lots more that they plan on adding to this game for quite a long time to come.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Thank you Sam. You have a good night too! Or if you are reading this later, a good day to you! [big grin]

We are honored to be part of this amazing adventure called Planet Coaster! We love your work, your dedication, your art and effort that you put into the game, and with this, also into the community! Thank you so much! Wow! [heart]

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom