Coaster Smoothness

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
They should probably change the name of the game then to planet scenery if coasters are not the focus of the game.Funny everywhere I read people always complain about how coasters need to be fixed
Coaster is in the name, it doesn´t mean it´s main point of the game. This game is about building Theme Parks and managing them. This was never meant to be about rollercoasters. Speaking of This, RollerCoaster Tycoon was not about RollerCoasters, it was also about Theme Parks in general.I think this is rather complex problem to solve and from my standtpoint, I would like to see other things fixed first. I myself use 1st person cammera on minimum, so the problem is not so visible and I´m kinda fine with it and understand that there are still compromises needed to be done with the game.On the other hand, I expected at least pre-built elements to be polished by this time. This definitely should have been done already and I think it´s not a big problem....

Last edited:
There still must be some sort of quality standard you want to achieve as a artist/designer/programmer?

There always is but very few projects can reach the standards that the individual people (designers/artists/developers) want/can archive. It is typically a combination or budget to keep, timeline to keep and resource usage to stay within. If those guys would get free hands this would be a very different looking game, but it probably also would be completely unplayable.

This goes for most projects in most industries. There is an idea on what we could do, what we want to and finally what we can do based on the contains given.

You could argue that coasters in the RCT series were the main feature of the game. In PC, not so much. Not that this matters much anyway. It's just that the current status of the coaster builder is unacceptable. It is clearly heavily unfinished. Of course, some people would like to see other things fixed first, we all have our different reasons we like/play the game after all. But that doesn't take away the fact that the coaster builder is horribly flawed.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

There always is but very few projects can reach the standards that the individual people (designers/artists/developers) want/can archive. It is typically a combination or budget to keep, timeline to keep and resource usage to stay within. If those guys would get free hands this would be a very different looking game, but it probably also would be completely unplayable.

This goes for most projects in most industries. There is an idea on what we could do, what we want to and finally what we can do based on the contains given.

If you have ever ridden or seen a real coaster you should know that the current way coasters behave in the game are very far below the standard.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is not a camera issue rather than a smooth track issue. Most coasters looks and runs very smooth while in 3rd person view but when you do the on ride camera it jumps around some (doesn't bother me necessarily but I seen the "issue"). Maybe the camera needs smoothing and not the coaster itself?

View ANY coaster in first person but in the last coaster car and you'll see that it is a track issue, not a camera issue.

View ANY coaster in first person but in the last coaster car and you'll see that it is a track issue, not a camera issue.

It's both a track and a camera issue. The first person camera has an special "feature" of trying to anticipate changes in banking/direction, leading to a worse experience in the first person camera compared to the nose cam. You notice it quite a bit on the Barghest (Eurofighter) on it's vertical lift end piece.

It's both a track and a camera issue. The first person camera has an special "feature" of trying to anticipate changes in banking/direction, leading to a worse experience in the first person camera compared to the nose cam. You notice it quite a bit on the Barghest (Eurofighter) on it's vertical lift end piece.

It seems to be more of the opposite, since the nose camera feels smoothed out while the guest cam follows every little bump in the track exactly.

It seems to be more of the opposite, since the nose camera feels smoothed out while the guest cam follows every little bump in the track exactly.
I was thinking about this, maybe the guest cam reacts in the way for each small segment piece of track, which is why it goes a bit janky? I still don't like so much that the camera starts to turn before getting to the piece of track, like how RCT3, luckily RCT3 had that option where you could press pagedown and it'd zoom out and lock or whatever, another camera view like that would be good.

It can be a little annoying when you make a eurofighter and the camera moves before hand and you're then looking at that texture of the car that looks pretty pixelated, or (even in the cam thats lower to the track) both drops on the eurofighter, especially the "takabisha" type drop seems super unsmooth, and the reverse freefall coaster... that also seems a little janky and unsmooth :(

Last edited:
I was thinking about this, maybe the guest cam reacts in the way for each small segment piece of track, which is why it goes a bit janky? I still don't like so much that the camera starts to turn before getting to the piece of track, like how RCT3, luckily RCT3 had that option where you could press pagedown and it'd zoom out and lock or whatever, another camera view like that would be good.

It can be a little annoying when you make a eurofighter and the camera moves before hand and you're then looking at that texture of the car that looks pretty pixelated, or (even in the cam thats lower to the track) both drops on the eurofighter, especially the "takabisha" type drop seems super unsmooth, and the reverse freefall coaster... that also seems a little janky and unsmooth :(

Yeah, its odd. The guest camera also simulates guest head movement so that also plays a role in it feeling unnatural. But other camera types that are attached to the trains are also just as rough, and it is not just the camera, as the bumps in the track can be seen by looking at the track itself or cars moving over the track.

The eurofigher and the reverse freefall indeed have very rough premade parts, and thats a shame since are basically forced to use them. But part of them being unsmooth is because the actual shape of the elements is wrong, and the transitions arent good.

Last edited:
still no official reply ?

I have been one of Frontier's biggest advocates from day one , but all threads seems to get replies quickly, while were waiting, the same for my biggest bug bear, no on ride photos.

still no official reply ?I have been one of Frontier's biggest advocates from day one , but all threads seems to get replies quickly, while were waiting, the same for my biggest bug bear, no on ride photos.
It might be simply because they have nothing to say about it. It´s common and sometime it rly is better keep silence about some stuff until you know you sometihng solid. That being said, I think at least saying they are looking into it or still "looking for solution how to improve or/and add this feature" would be much better than radio silence.

Last edited:
still no official reply ?

I have been one of Frontier's biggest advocates from day one , but all threads seems to get replies quickly, while were waiting, the same for my biggest bug bear, no on ride photos.

Frontiers official stance on all communication (not just for Planet Coaster) is that when they have something to say,they will. They will not comment on what they are working on or looking into until they are ready. This is a corporate policy, not a Planet Coaster policy.

Frontiers official stance on all communication (not just for Planet Coaster) is that when they have something to say,they will. They will not comment on what they are working on or looking into until they are ready. This is a corporate policy, not a Planet Coaster policy.

They actually did acknowledge this problem, except it was during one of their livestreams when people started spamming the chat about coaster smoothness. So no reason to not post in this thread as well.

Last edited:
They actually did acknowledge this problem, except it was during one of their livestreams when people started spamming the chat about coaster smoothness. So no reason to not post in this thread as well.

Did not know that. Which live stream was it and at what time stamp so I can go and watch andhear it too. Good news if it is correct, but want to see and hear it before I believe it.

Maybe they should also inform on other channels then. Not everyone is watching all live streams.

Maybe they should also inform on other channels then. Not everyone is watching all live streams.

Agreed. If they can talk about it during a livestream, why not directly in the main thread itself? [wacky]

Did not know that. Which live stream was it and at what time stamp so I can go and watch andhear it too. Good news if it is correct, but want to see and hear it before I believe it.

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sh...othness/page14?p=204988&viewfull=1#post204988

Agreed. If they can talk about it during a livestream, why not directly in the main thread itself? [wacky]

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sh...othness/page14?p=204988&viewfull=1#post204988

Thanks! Although was not a developer saying this but community managers (which most likely have spoken to the devs). They didn't say anything most of us already "knew". It is a given that they are looking into many aspects of the game, especially aspects that get talked about a lot here on the forums.

You can watch all livestreams on the official Plamet Coaster YouTube channel again.

Now, that´s something I didn´t know really. Sometimes I don´t know what to think about the way certain people reply to some stuff. Maybe you really think our IQ is bellow 0. Or maybe you just don´t like we gave constructive feedback once again. If something was mentioned in Livestream and people keep talking about it on the forum like it was never addressed by developers, then it probably didn´t work and maybe it would be better to make that statement in one of many "written announcements" again... It could be just one sentence, rly...
I hope you do realize some people just don´t have time for watching all livestreams. If you do, I must admit I´m a bit jealous. Some people also just discovered the game recently and don´t even have clue there were live streams.

Livestreams are great, but they do have some disadvantages.

Last edited:

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all your kind feedback regarding coaster smoothness. We are more than aware of this thread and that some of you have issues with this. We are looking into it and if and when there's something we can do or say about it, you will be the first to know!

As for the livestreams, we do our best to tackle issues on both platforms - the livestreams are a great way to talk to you directly in the chat.

Have a lovely day,
[heart]
Bo

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all your kind feedback regarding coaster smoothness. We are more than aware of this thread and that some of you have issues with this. We are looking into it and if and when there's something we can do or say about it, you will be the first to know!

As for the livestreams, we do our best to tackle issues on both platforms - the livestreams are a great way to talk to you directly in the chat.

Have a lovely day,
[heart]
Bo

Excellent. I would love to see just a complete piece for a barrel roll for instance, where we could adjust length, bump height (as most barrel rolls are humped) and end point either on a vertical or horizontal axis.

At the moment it's still as it is from Beta, where you can manually make a barrel roll from 4 pieces but removing the awkward jerky transition is extremely difficult.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom