Custom Content

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if Planet Coaster will support custom content? I know nothing about the technical aspect of Custom scenery, but I think if it's properly implemented, it could be an absolute game-changer.

Does anyone know if Planet Coaster will support custom content? I know nothing about the technical aspect of Custom scenery, but I think if it's properly implemented, it could be an absolute game-changer.
Nothing official, but yes, i'm 99,99 % sure !

And maybe "something inside the game client to pull in, sync, upload user generated content" (still nothing official but ...Theoretically speaking it's highly possible [uhh])

Last edited:
If they learned from RCT3 then they know that a lot of people want to have custom scenery in their games. RCT 3 produced some incredible videos and creations thanks to custom content. Now imagine just that with this game.
I'm personally certain they are adding custom content one way or the other, otherwise they are leaving a big part of the playerbase outside.

If they learned from RCT3 then they know that a lot of people want to have custom scenery in their games. RCT 3 produced some incredible videos and creations thanks to custom content. Now imagine just that with this game.
I'm personally certain they are adding custom content one way or the other, otherwise they are leaving a big part of the playerbase outside.
I want that it as easy as custom content in City Skylines.[up]

I'm sure Frontier will implement some sort of custom content system, it's pretty much a given with PC games these days, especially within this genre.

Last edited:
I will put forward the question to the team, to see if they can answer.
In the mean time please try not answer is if from authority, it just creates confusion for everyone ;)

I will put forward the question to the team, to see if they can answer.
In the mean time please try not answer is if from authority, it just creates confusion for everyone ;)
Perhaps its time for me/someone to create a thread with a list of what is confirmed and what is not [squeeeeee]

You are welcome to create a thread like that ;)
May I suggest that you consider linking sources for each piece of information, to avoid any issues

Last edited:
Sorry for replying to a Older Post and Bumping it. RCT Deleted a response I left in their forum for doing so.

But IF Custom Scenery can and will be allowed, I HOPE that it don't Crash the Game as soo many have after DLing them in RCT3. Nothing like DL'ing a bunch of Custom Rides and their Scenery Skins, Choosing it and the game Locks Up. Don't know What's causing it. I Put the files where I was told and a FEW Scenery Pieces do Work but most Crash the Game. I have learned to Save the game Often after placing rides/stall/coasters before choosing a Custom Ride/Stall/Scenery.

Then if they do work, the Peeps would walk right through them ( scenery skins for rides ) as if they weren't even there. Or they stand in front of the custom double stall and get all confused, stuck in a pace between the two windows shacking their heads until I pick them up and put them somewhere else, only to walk back and start all over again.

No Custom Rides have worked as of yet.

If I may... Cities Skylines is so easy to mod because it takes rather little effort for the modder to add them to the game. In some games there's tons of file conversion with community created tools, which isn't always the best way of doing things. It involves jumping through hoops, do a backflip and go to the moon and back before you're even close to getting a single polygon to show up in the game.

Cities Skylines does it in a very user friendly way, so even the least talented guy with a 3D app can design something and make his own dream and vision come true and appear in-game. It's also a great way for new people to become interested in 3D modeling, texturing and everything involved!

They support the widely used FBX format. Just make the model to real world scale, UV map, texture it (diffuse a minimum, normal, specular and emissive a bonus) and follow the simple naming conventions (in Cities Skylines, you name it like so: building.fbx / building_d.tga / building_n.tga / building_s.tga and so on. The game understands the model and texture files belong together.)

I hope to see this being possible with Planet Coaster as well. But since rides require animation, may I suggest that the importer also support animated bones? It will involve a tad more work on the modders end, but nothing new to anyone with 3D and animation. It would require to create a bone hierarchy, skin bind and weight paint it, and possibly rig the ride to make the animation process easier.

Here's an idea (I leave out the file extensions for textures as we don't know what they are yet). And I hope the game somehow supports PBR even though the game have very high roughness by the way it looks for now. Perhaps a dev could give us a hint? :D

• FBX skinned and with bones. This is the base mesh, and contain no animations. It will be driven by the lightweight FBX "bones only" files with animation.
    • myride.fbx
  • Textures
    • myride_d (albedo + alpha for transparency)
    • myride_n (normal map)
    • myride_pbr (metalness/roughness/ao or something else?)
  • FBX with bone animation (no mesh, bones only) Should follow a strict naming convention to make the game understand which animation to use when.
    • myride_idle.fbx
      Idle/loading - accepts guests to enter the ride. Also the animation in use during repairs or when the ride is closed.
    • myride_start.fbx
      Gate/doors/barriers close/seats tilt/rotate whatever to prepare for the ride to start.
    • myride_action.fbx
      The ride doing its thing.
    • myride_end.fbx
      Gate/doors/barriers open/seats reset.

I feel tempted to look into rides, make a model, rig and animate it. [big grin]

Last edited:
If I may... Cities Skylines is so easy to mod because it takes rather little effort for the modder to add them to the game. In some games there's tons of file conversion with community created tools, which isn't always the best way of doing things. It involves jumping through hoops, do a backflip and go to the moon and back before you're even close to getting a single polygon to show up in the game.

Cities Skylines does it in a very user friendly way, so even the least talented guy with a 3D app can design something and make his own dream and vision come true and appear in-game. It's also a great way for new people to become interested in 3D modeling, texturing and everything involved!

They support the widely used FBX format. Just make the model to real world scale, UV map, texture it (diffuse a minimum, normal, specular and emissive a bonus) and follow the simple naming conventions (in Cities Skylines, you name it like so: building.fbx / building_d.tga / building_n.tga / building_s.tga and so on. The game understands the model and texture files belong together.)

I hope to see this being possible with Planet Coaster as well. But since rides require animation, may I suggest that the importer also support animated bones? It will involve a tad more work on the modders end, but nothing new to anyone with 3D and animation. It would require to create a bone hierarchy, skin bind and weight paint it, and possibly rig the ride to make the animation process easier.

Here's an idea (I leave out the file extensions for textures as we don't know what they are yet). And I hope the game somehow supports PBR even though the game have very high roughness by the way it looks for now. Perhaps a dev could give us a hint? :D

• FBX skinned and with bones. This is the base mesh, and contain no animations. It will be driven by the lightweight FBX "bones only" files with animation.
    • myride.fbx
  • Textures
    • myride_n (normal map)
  • FBX with bone animation (no mesh, bones only) Should follow a strict naming convention to make the game understand which animation to use when.
    • myride_idle.fbx
      Idle/loading - accepts guests to enter the ride. Also the animation in use during repairs or when the ride is closed.
    • myride_start.fbx
      Gate/doors/barriers close/seats tilt/rotate whatever to prepare for the ride to start.
    • myride_action.fbx
    • myride_end.fbx

That is a very big post and I don't get it. I'm not that smart [squeeeeee]

If you're willing to learn, I'm sure we're a good bunch of 3D people who can help you getting started. [yesnod]

As for static scenery, it could be even easier!
  • myscenery.fbx
  • myscenery texture files (diffuse, normal, metal/roughness/ao or whatever)

• myride.fbx
  • Textures
    • myride_n (normal map)
    • myride_idle.fbx
    • myride_start.fbx
    • myride_action.fbx
    • myride_end.fbx

Feels the Breeze as this Passes Past my head.[uhh][uhh][uhh][uhh]

I would just much rather find a Site where People Share their rides they built, I save them to the "Custom" Folder that's in my "Style" Folder and have them Work, WITHOUT Crashing the game. "Work" as in Guest actual interact with them and not walk through custom skins for rides (like if someone added a skin the has steps, the guest Use The Steps and Not Walk through them or Backdrops for a ride that Guests Don't Walk Through) as if it was already in the game.

Would be nice to find a Picture/Image of a Ride you want, Scan it, the Program Renders it, Saves it, then just drop it into your "Custom" Folder in your "Style" Folder, Open the Game. Go to Rides, Pick it, Place it, it Works. But this seems too much to ask for at this time and there is No Program to do so at this time..... Looks for Computer Programming Nerd to Make this Program and do it in a away Us noncomputer nerds can undertsand it even with/if a/our IQ no higher than our Shoe Size....

It's fine you don't understand what I wrote, but if the developers make sort of an official recipe on how things should be done from the modders side, you're more likely to actually have a "browse, download, install" kind of experience rather than a community driven reverse engineering and guessing game. :)

You mentioned something clever. Guest collision for steps and slopes. That could be easily achieved for custom content, IF the modding tools allow for such. Usually collisions are done with a super low poly version of the object that requires collision. For a flatride, that would require collision only for walkable areas, and could be added to the myride.fbx as a second layer/component/item/mesh (depending on the terminology your 3D app use) following a strict naming convention here as well.

Please! Any devs who could comment on these ideas, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom