ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

Never knew that! Very ingenious... :)

This is dredging the depths of my memory now, but I think the tape was protected with some wacky custom crc check. I know that each block would come up with a “Data?” error if it was loaded with the usual *LOAD command, but not if it was done via the pre-loader.
Never occurred to me to make a backup of the cassette so I'm not sure about the digital side but it did stop the game now and then to demand word X from paragraph Y on page Z of the manual...

Some of the more predatory Cmdrs in game already seem interested, looking at being in or around to welcome the new pilots exiting their "protected" systems into the main galaxy, ;) and since the new ships will likely not have access to fully engineered FSD, there may only be a handful of systems they might reach. It might be interesting to see what the odds are on it becoming, Boom! Bang! It's wake up time and welcome to the real ED game have a nice day Y'all!

I'm sure I recall the BBC disk version playing the Blue Danube. I've not played any of the other Elites until the present one, but I remember the music and it's why I nearly fell off the chair laughing the first time I heard it while docking in ED.

And yes, it was witty in the BBC days because of the 2001 reference.
OK - my memory may be faulty, or perhaps I was so preoccupied with watching the station approaching rather too quickly for my liking to notice any music. One thing's certain though, I'm going to have to look for my original disk and see if I can fire it up on the Master 128, and then do the same with the 2nd processor enhanced version as well.

OK - my memory may be faulty, or perhaps I was so preoccupied with watching the station approaching rather too quickly for my liking to notice any music. One thing's certain though, I'm going to have to look for my original disk and see if I can fire it up on the Master 128, and then do the same with the 2nd processor enhanced version as well.

I don't remember the Blue Danube from any BBC version, I think that was initially unique to the C64 version, but did spread later to some of the 16bit versions.

These changes are so welcome! I love to be able to auto-undock!

@Fdev/Will Where will it unhand the ship, and will this location be the same for every other commander undocking at the same moment? Would this mean auto-undock collisions?

I would :LOVE: a singular button for auto-dock/auto-undock the nearest station in my controls (so it works with voice commands).

Last edited:
That supercruise module should also keep a correct direction. It just need to be autopilot.
At now we're gonna to produce autonomous cars, so manual flight in Elite universe should be a thing what you can do but do not need to do.

Autopilot and docking computer should be no-cost modules, as atmosferic shields, included to every ship since the beginning.

If You don't like autopilot then don't use autopilot.

Last edited:
While I'm happy with some of the additions, I'm concerned that we're essentially being told that we're wasting our time by actually playing the game. Instead we press a couple of buttons and let the ship leave the station on its own, press a button and it targets a system, and we don't have to touch the controls until we drop out of supercruise.
When do we actually play?

These changes are so welcome! I love to be able to auto-undock!

@Fdev/Will Where will it unhand the ship, and will this location be the same for every other commander undocking at the same moment? Would this mean auto-undock collisions?

I would :LOVE: a singular button for auto-dock/auto-undock the nearest station in my controls (so it works with voice commands).
I'm hoping that FD will have built in the queueing that NPCs already do to the module function.

Already one of the main reasons to use the docking computer is not to avoid flying yourself, but to know that when you go in through the slot there won't be a T9 coming out at the same time. It will be great if we finally have good traffic control instead of someone just saying "Please fly safely commander!".

(BTW I'm sure that if a station design actually had a single entrance/exit, a safety review would recommend that manual flying should be completely forbidden).

That's what the DC already can and does. What it certainly won't do is teaching you to mind the radar...
Yes, what I meant to say was that it already does traffic control on the way in, so I hope it will do it on the way out too. (So when undocking there won't be a T9 coming in).

I'm always happy to see new content :) and all of this is no exception however:
Advanced Docking ComputerWe're adding an upgraded version of the original Docking Computer, a module designed to allow Commanders to relax, let go of their flight sticks and automatically dock in stations to the serene strings of Johann Strauss II.The Advanced Docking Computer will not only allow you to dock, but also allow you to automatically undock from a station without anxiously worrying about getting stuck inside the mail slot. Let's face it, it will also help with those embarrassing Type-10 spoiler moments!This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased small ships. If you're starting up a new account, you will find the Advanced Docking Computer in your ship from the get-go - making it easier for you to embark and disembark from your favourite stations without colliding with the walls, landing pads or your fellow Commanders.
Don't get me wrong I think this is an excellent addition too, though don't you think it is time that the traffic controllers in the stations actually controlled the traffic! instead of just being an affectation.
When using the docking computer your ship has to wait in the queue, but that doesn't stop some other commander who doesn't use a docking computer, slipping in before you or if it comes to that an NPC doing the same which I've noticed they sometimes do.
If the traffic controller was implemented properly and you're using a docking computer you will be automatically put in the queue, but if your not using one you should be told where in the queue you are and if you jump the queue you will be fined a significant enough fine to make it not worth while jumping the queue. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, for instance if you have reached the station after being in combat and your screen has been blown out and your running out of air then you should have the ability to convey this to the traffic controller and they will give you priority as an emergency landing.

Would you say the same if the game would have an "I WIN" button, just don't use it if you don't like it? I see this kind of moronic arguments all over the board, in various contexts, and whenever I see it I wonder why some people understand so little about good game design (some devs included). Has this meanwhile become a lost ancient knowledge?

Autopilot is not an i-Win button, and you do not need to be a gruff if you want to say something.
People can understand You without that, and can just simply disagree with You.

Would you say the same if the game would have an "I WIN" button, just don't use it if you don't like it? I see this kind of moronic arguments all over the board, in various contexts, and whenever I see it I wonder why some people understand so little about good game design (some devs included). Has this meanwhile become a lost ancient knowledge?
When you say "moronic arguments" are you talking about people comparing an autopilot to an "I WIN" button? :V

Here's a good rule of game design (a subject which I'm fairly confident you know literally nothing about): if a significant number of players want part of your gameplay to be automated, you should maybe consider just how compelling that gameplay actually is.

Oh well - I guess I should have left sleeping dogs lie. I now have one ex-M128. I think the PSU has died - certainly there we're some fairly loud cracking noises and a lot of nasty-smelling smoke. :( When I have the inclination I may investigate further and may even invest in a refurb PSU, but for now I'll have to be content with the modern version of Elite.

Top Bottom