Why have a profanity filter option if you're gonna ban people for swear words?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Well, game developers have been pretty strict with profanity and abusive language for a while now, after some popular multiplayer games became cesspools for angry teenagers hurling abuse at each other. Elite has been a pretty mature and friendly place so far, so I'm happy they don't allow any of that to take root here.

Once I got back to Jameson he sent me a message calling me a coward and I replied "lol (lady part)"

Seems strange, I would have thought the team would check the chat logs before banning. Am surprised you would get a ban for that, have seen more offensive ship names. Sounds more like multiple minor offences, now they have chosen to give you a ban. Are you saying this is the first time you have been in trouble? Your forum name suggests otherwise.

I'll tell you what should be a bannable offense: I was in open flying through Shinrarta, and my log was completely inundated with a small group of about three people (presumably gankers) insulting someone who'd presumably switched to Solo (maybe combat log, maybe not) and telling them to come back. It's probably the most mean-spirited thing I've seen done in-game.

Goodness, reporting someone for a couple of swear words... what a world.

Why can't I report someone for being special snowflake if it hurts my feelings? It really does, you know. Well, not exactly - it doesn't hurt my "brain" feelings, but it does hurt my guts.
From laughter, I mean.

Lestat

Banned
All I do is listen to classic rock and roll while in combat. If the music has Foul Langauge you don't hear it. Or that Voice command Eli says something you don't hear it.

Seems strange, I would have thought the team would check the chat logs before banning. Am surprised you would get a ban for that, have seen more offensive ship names. Sounds more like multiple minor offences, now they have chosen to give you a ban. Are you saying this is the first time you have been in trouble? Your forum name suggests otherwise.
I have never even received a warning or anything before this.

Why do people assume that because I'm a ganker that I'm some nasty, horrible person?
My squadron and I just did PvP stream for charity and raised a couple hundred bucks a month ago. Not saying I'm a saint but I'm not some constant jerk that calls people names all day.

Well, game developers have been pretty strict with profanity and abusive language for a while now, after some popular multiplayer games became cesspools for angry teenagers hurling abuse at each other. Elite has been a pretty mature and friendly place so far, so I'm happy they don't allow any of that to take root here.
Then why have the profanity filter?
If they're just gonna ban players for using swear words in chat then just remove the filter and censor all swear words.

I have never even received a warning or anything before this.

Why do people assume that because I'm a ganker that I'm some nasty, horrible person?
My squadron and I just did PvP stream for charity and raised a couple hundred bucks a month ago. Not saying I'm a saint but I'm not some constant jerk that calls people names all day.
Not judging you personally mate, but c'mon, I've been around a long time, most gankers I have come across try to do as much as possible to get under another cmdrs skin.

Anyway, I say just take it on the chin. It does seem strange to be banned for something so minor.

But you can turn the filter off. That implies it's only there to minimise how much you get exposed to language, not how often it's used. The point is, it's inconsistent. If there's a policy on profanity in-game, please make it clear and don't give the option to turn off the filter if doing stuff that would be filtered gets you banned anyway.

Also, I can't say 'cockpit' without it getting filtered. If I get banned for that I will probably die of laughter.

The swear filter is beside the point.

The point is that if you don't send offensive messages, you can't be banned for causing offense regardless of any safeguards the game may or may not attempt to implement.
If, OTOH, you do send offensive messages then you place yourself at the mercy of the recipient, and anybody else who might see those messages, to not take offence.

The point is that if you don't send offensive messages, you can't be banned for causing offense regardless of any safeguards the game may or may not attempt to implement.
If, OTOH, you do send offensive messages then you place yourself at the mercy of the recipient, and anybody else who might see those messages, to not take offence.

In this case he'd just been insulted by someone else, who the OP evidently judged was not averse to swearing. Methinks whether or not you get banned for something depends on how hard you get complained about.

I know a lot of you would love to believe this but truth is,

There is another ganker that I don't get along with and have history with. He attempted to gank me in my orca as I was coming into Shinrarta but do to the orcas amazing speed I just boosted away from him every time he pulled me. Once I got back to Jameson he sent me a message calling me a coward and I replied "lol (lady part)"

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Awesome!! :)

So the ganker got ganked and now he's crying on the forums. Karma?

Every action has a reaction. Some need to learn it hard way it seems.

The world is such a beautiful place!!! :)

In this case he'd just been insulted by someone else, who the OP evidently judged was not averse to swearing. Methinks whether or not you get banned for something depends on how hard you get complained about.

Then the OP was played like a cheap violin.

Kind of ironic really.
People gank others and then attempt to justify their actions with the whole "It's just pixels" thing but then one such ganker decides that it is okay to lose their poop just cos somebody taunted them verbally?

Oh, the horror!!!! :eek:

Lestat

Banned
Well, you could get funny and go Bleep Bleep and Bleep.
Not judging you personally mate, but c'mon, I've been around a long time, most gankers I have come across try to do as much as possible to get under another cmdrs skin.

Anyway, I say just take it on the chin. It does seem strange to be banned for something so minor.
Bad thing is today and age a fart could be offensive. Could upset someone feelings.

That's bullcrap.

So a person who willing turns the profanity filter off should be allowed to report people for profane language?
Get outta here with that nonsense.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom