New Client broken - no Horizons?

Newcomer here,just bought the deluxe edition yesterday. I get the 404 error and the "update required" window too which makes it impossible for me to redeem the keys since I bought the game from steam and not from frontier directly.

The http 404 error can be solved by changing "Options -> Select language..." from "Use System Defaults" to "English". Options menu can be accessed by left clicking your email address in right upper corner of the Launcher.

I'm not sure if that also solves the "update required" window problem though.

Last edited:
The http 404 error can be solved by changing "Options -> Select language..." from "Use System Defaults" to "English". Options menu can be accessed by left clicking your email address in right upper corner of the Launcher.
There is no such option in the launcher at the right up corner. Whenever I click play on steam I get greeted by the 404 error and a PLAY DEMO button,nothing else. I think the launcher auto-logins me without registering my account. And even if I somehow fix the 404 error I doubt it will let me redeem the keys to play the game.

There is no such option in the launcher at the right up corner. Whenever I click play on steam I get greeted by the 404 error and a PLAY DEMO button,nothing else. I think the launcher auto-logins me without registering my account. And even if I somehow fix the 404 error I doubt it will let me redeem the keys to play the game.

Clearly launcher works different on Steam then. I guess you have to contact customer service.

I did make a support ticket,no luck as of yet though.

Earlier in this thread there are posts by people who changed the way the launcher is started on Steam with good results sometimes. Maybe those are useful to you? I'm not a Steam user so I can't help much.

I did make a support ticket,no luck as of yet though.
Have you tried a re-install? Not sure it'll work, but worth a shot.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to Elite: Dangerous btw. You'll get used to it. Some reckon it's worth the odd quirk. You'll see plenty if you stick around (and actually get it running... ;) )

Last edited:
Problem: 404 :)
Workaround for steam users:

1. Go to this folder "c:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\appdata\Local\Frontier_Developments\EDLaunch.exe_Url_<SOME RANDOM LETTERS>\0.4.6576.0\"
2. Open "user.config" file with notepad
3. Find section named <CBViewModel.Properties.Settings> and add those three lines:
<setting name="LanguageOverride" serializeAs="String">
<value>en</value>
</setting>

Enjoy :)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
For those who tried re-install, what worked for me is to uninstall everything Elite related in your drives. I uninstalled from Steam first, but then I did a control pannel check and I saw I still had some kind of ED Horizons version installed somehow. I uninstalled that one aswell in the control pannel uninstall section. After that I did an install from Steam and it seems to be working so far.

I will add my own experiences here also, as LEP and both Steam and Frontier (kickstarter backer) store stuff:

PC version I had first from kickstarter with LEP (main account) wont launch a launcher at all, but says that I have to download a laucher from store, but when I click "yes", it won´t direct me to store page and if I click "no" I get a laucher that looks like base game launcher and says it needs update.

With Steam LEP-account I can start the launcher (and the game itself without problems) that is clearly Horizon, just that I don´t see Gallnet news or any other options but "LAUNCH"-button (lucky me), no other options beside HTTP 404 page covering most of Horizon´s launcher.

^it seems this is Windows 7/10 issue for me, both Horizons accounts on Win 7 (Steam and that LEP-Frontier Store account) wont work at all, even in a base game mode.

But at Win 10 computer that other LEP Steam-account works despite that 404-page covering most of the launcher but "launch"-button.
With Win 10 it seems also that base game works without problems (bought from Frontier Store without extras).

E: also through Win 10 running just Frontier store base game with out Horizons/LEP, launcher also had 404 error but instead like with Horizons launcher also had 3 options to choose from below, not just "play/launch".

Last edited:
^it seems this is Windows 7/10 issue for me, both Horizons accounts on Win 7 (Steam and that LEP-Frontier Store account) wont work at all, even in a base game mode.

But at Win 10 computer that other LEP Steam-account works despite that 404-page covering most of the launcher but "launch"-button.
With Win 10 it seems also that base game works without problems (bought from Frontier Store without extras).

E: also through Win 10 running just Frontier store base game with out Horizons/LEP, launcher also had 404 error but instead like with Horizons launcher also had 3 options to choose from below, not just "play/launch".

For the Steam related problems maybe the tricks posted earlier in this thread may help.

........ Options menu can be accessed by left clicking your email address in right upper corner of the Launcher.

Is that a W10 feature? I ask as my launcher does not show my email address but below my name in the upper right corner are listed the menu choices including an "Options" one. I ask out of interest only, not requiring help thanks as my issue was fixed days ago.

Is that a W10 feature? I ask as my launcher does not show my email address but below my name in the upper right corner are listed the menu choices including an "Options" one. I ask out of interest only, not requiring help thanks as my issue was fixed days ago.

With the 404 problem the whole client area of the launcher was replaced with the 404 error message, including the menu choices (see post #199). For some reason it showed an email address (hardly visible in deep red on a black title bar). Clicking the email address produced a drop down menu with said language option. Now that the problem is solved the title bar doesn't show my email address anymore and clicking the title bar no longer produces the drop down menu. I think it was the GUI toolkit that Frontier uses for the launcher that messed up the window layout after the unexpected 404 error. It probably has nothing to with Windows 10.

With the 404 problem the whole client area of the launcher was replaced with the 404 error message, including the menu choices (see post #199). For some reason it showed an email address (hardly visible in deep red on a black title bar). Clicking the email address produced a drop down menu with said language option. Now that the problem is solved the title bar doesn't show my email address anymore and clicking the title bar no longer produces the drop down menu. I think it was the GUI toolkit that Frontier uses for the launcher that messed up the window layout after the unexpected 404 error. It probably has nothing to with Windows 10.

I see - thanks for that information. I hope all these issues get sorted before too many Steam sale purchasers get fed up and go for a refund.

So...

Is it yet safe to "update" launcher yet then, if it still plays the game?

Would hate to lose selection for options or forget my email for each of my accounts...

Top Bottom