Where is the exploration?

If I am right and the FSS is really a great tool for engineering, then it should work exactly as it does, but seriously above everything it should occupy a size-1 slot and cost 1 million, because I as a new player can't bear with it.

The only use the FSS has for engineering is that it can be used to find planets with certain materials (at least, that's the only use I have for it in that context). But, it isn't required for that. You can do engineering without it. I do enjoy engineering myself. But I also enjoy collecting materials from planet surfaces just for the sake of it. I spent most of my playing time yesterday doing exactly that (2 hours or so, I guess). Fun is where you make it - I enjoy it because I try to do it as quickly as possible, which regularly involves things like shooting the rocks as you fly over them upside down. In fact I will put together a video of last night's expedition at some point, as it shows that the SRV really is an amazing machine when you've learnt how to handle it. Currently, I am finding it more fun than flying (and I enjoy that immensely!).

Or at the very least some kind of official respose. I seem to remember that is where we started months back, just asking for some acknowledgement that there is an issue.

The only use the FSS has for engineering is that it can be used to find planets with certain materials (at least, that's the only use I have for it in that context). But, it isn't required for that. You can do engineering without it. I do enjoy engineering myself. But I also enjoy collecting materials from planet surfaces just for the sake of it. I spent most of my playing time yesterday doing exactly that (2 hours or so, I guess). Fun is where you make it - I enjoy it because I try to do it as quickly as possible, which regularly involves things like shooting the rocks as you fly over them upside down. In fact I will put together a video of last night's expedition at some point, as it shows that the SRV really is an amazing machine when you've learnt how to handle it. Currently, I am finding it more fun than flying (and I enjoy that immensely!).

The FSS helps to find USSs too, I can see how the OP gets that impression.

Or at the very least some kind of official respose. I seem to remember that is where we started months back, just asking for some acknowledgement that there is an issue.

Raise a bug and see how far you get. There isn't an issue as far as I can see - it is just that some people don't like the new mechanic.

Pretty much. A small, easily rectified issue has been blown up from community polarisation without any attempt at moderation by FDev to either explain or correct their actions. But this has been the case for many aspects of the game, this is just one more :(

Raise a bug and see how far you get. There isn't an issue as far as I can see - it is just that some people don't like the new mechanic.

It isn't a bug, it's a design issue. I'm not going to abuse an already overburdened support team with design issues, or support anyone that does.

I don't mind the new stuff, I've used it plenty. But four years into the life of a game is not the time to remove functionality on a whim.

Really? I've always found that USS's appear simply when you arrive in a system. This has always been the case (and still is for me). What does the FSS do here?
tbh I don't do many USSs but if you honk & go into the FSS Scanner Screen you can find more. I presume the ones you see without using the FSS are because they are nearby.

It isn't a bug, it's a design issue. I'm not going to abuse an already overburdened support team with design issues, or support anyone that does.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you are talking about. What is the design issue? The FSS? Personally, I don't have any problems with the design (though do have ideas for improvement).

I only came to the realization because I tried it first time today. I'm only two weeks into the game and I expected exploration and surveying would be much different really.

the thing I loathe the most is the POIs counter that tells you straight a way if a planet is worthy of investigation or not. That alone takes the whole exploration thing away. By "sensor", I mean something that will let me interpret, even with the possibility of failure, if a planet is worth investigating further or not! The thing is picking up emissions, so give these emissions the form of waves and sounds, give it the possibility of interference... Not a plain text telling me there's geological(56) on said planet, that's plain awful.
And then you have CMDRs just going through and mapping the good stuff, leaving the dregs. I don't think composition should be known until you do a detailed surface scan up close. And there need to be some valuable moon types, maybe He3 or H fuel-rich moons? That way, people will be incentivized to check everything, and rewarded for doing so.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you are talking about. What is the design issue? The FSS? Personally, I don't have any problems with the design (though do have ideas for improvement).

Yes your words describe my feelings about the new stuff too. There was no need for it to be at the expense of the old stuff though, the current state of the game bears this out. There is no balancing reason (as was initially assumed before the beta) for the old modules to be removed, and the complete functionality was retained in explored space. The ADS would have just provided that same functionality in virgin and partially explored systems.

Its not a bug tho. Its a poor design issue. Both in what it is and in the fact that we have had it forced on all of us. It more than just not liking it, its killed off the gameplay for the people who are complaining. They could at least pretend to give a hoot, we did after all buy the game and so pay their wages.

Edit: yeah riverside got there first :)

Last edited:
I agree, just explaining the reasoning (and having it not be critically flawed) as used to happen is all that's needed. Some will always hate it, some will always love it & some will make up their own mind.

I read through threads like these & wonder who sits in which category.

I don't need explanations of the reasoning behind decisions to enjoy a video game. Its either subjective fun as is or it isn't, the thought process devs went through isn't really relevant to my video gaming preferences.

They communicate less that they used to due to the increased toxicity :

I don't need explanations of the reasoning behind decisions to enjoy a video game. Its either subjective fun as is or it isn't, the thought process devs went through isn't really relevant to my video gaming preferences.

They communicate less that they used to due to the increased toxicity :

The only toxic thing about this thread are your attempts at shutting it down.

I'm not offending FDev, actually I said in several circumstances that I am loving their game.

I'm criticizing one particular choice they've made that is making one aspect of it less enjoyable for me in particular. Also, I am a new player, I wasn't even aware that there was already discord on this particular issue.

I believed I've raised some valid concerns, now anyone is welcome to listen or not.

Now I'll leave you to talk it out among yourselves. Thanks to all who have participated. :)

Actually, it was great to meet the community.

The only toxic thing about this thread are your attempts at shutting it down.

I'm not offending FDev, actually I said in several circumstances that I am loving their game.

I'm criticizing one particular choice they've made that is making one aspect of it less enjoyable for me in particular. Also, I am a new player, I wasn't even aware that there was already discord on this particular issue.

I believed I've raised some valid concerns, now anyone is welcome to listen or not.

Now I'll leave you to talk it out among yourselves. Thanks to all who have participated. :)

Actually, it was great to meet the community.

Nobodies trying to shut the thread down, I've helpfully answered some of your direct questions and explained why and how I enjoy the game.

Any secret agenda's you perceive exist only inside your head.

The article I linked explains in a fairly in depth way reduced dev interaction with gamers throughout the industry, but that's all it does.

Nobodies trying to shut the thread down, I've helpfully answered some of your direct questions and explained why and how I enjoy the game.

Any secret agenda's you perceive exist only inside your head.

The article I linked explains in a fairly in depth way reduced dev interaction with gamers throughout the industry, but that's all it does.
Well, you favorite quote is that I go play something else. Take no for an answer?

Don't worry, it was great to meet you, too. ;)

See you in the dark, cmdr.

Well, you favorite quote is that I go play something else. Take no for an answer?

Don't worry, it was great to meet you, too. ;)

See you in the dark, cmdr.

No, I advise people to buy and play the games they like in ways they like. Which is always helpful advice often badly received by people who take the opposite approach of buying seemingly at random then demanding alterations to suit their preferences. I just apply my preferences pre-purchase hence my lack of saltiness*.

I think they are unlikely to change an MMO just for you, you need to have realistic expectations to avoid disappointment.

*this is explained in depth in the article I linked

No, I advise people to buy and play the games they like in ways they like. Which is always helpful advice often badly received by people who take the opposite approach of buying seemingly at random then demanding alterations to suit their preferences. I just apply my preferences pre-purchase hence my lack of saltiness*.

I think they are unlikely to change an MMO just for you, you need to have realistic expectations to avoid disappointment.

*this is explained in depth in the article I linked
Yes, you see, there is no real "try before you buy", so what you do before you buy is research.

Now it seems that ED has a huge galaxy and I wonder what you'd want with it if not explore it.

So I buy it and I find a design choice that, to me, breaks exploration.

I come to the forums and ask if it's normal.

And I find that the answer is "it's debatable".

Outcome:
  • If an alteration is possible I'm welcoming it.
  • If it's not possible, I might learn to live with it.
  • If it's not possible because the devs need cater to a mindless grinding kind of audience, I'll drop. Is this the part that you find annoying?

But in no way I came to demand an alteration.

About your lack of saltiness, that could also be a matter of debate. Very much off topic now.

Top Bottom