Roadmap leaked??

Not bothered about base building. Spacelegs yes. Atmos: what would they add that we don't already have? Driving an SRV on a planet with an atmo is fundamentally little different to driving an SRV on an airless rock. Apart from having 'trees' in the way.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the post is twaddle.
There maybe some things in there that are right more by accident than by design.
If you cast a wide enough net you're bound to catch SOMETHING.

A wise (but sneaky) man once said that the best place to hide a lie is between two truths.

This is probably somebody who did get some information about FDev using it to provide credibility for their own assumptions.

To be brutal, FDev's "100 person team" took two years to produce Horizons and more than a year to produce Beyond.
Unless they're all mainlining Proplus and NZT-48, I can't see them putting together a viable FPS and a base-building system in 18 months as well as rolling out bug-fixes and minor updates at the same time.
Who says it has to be a viable FPS? They could always save time by doing a bad job. Space Legs is just another SRV with different animations.

I don't believe it.
A) TT Games made Lego Star Wars Force Awakens, I doubt Frontier would get the contract. Also Lucasfilm Games Division has also started back up.

Hey, they've got as little experience as FDev at making an RTS, it'd be a fair fight ;)

Seriously though, def interesting counter-points there. (I could imagine JWE's success, and a solid RTS prototype, snagging them some high end IPs though, even as outsourced work from brands with fingers deep in other gaming studios. Purely theoretically like ;))

Could we lock this thread?

We know P2P and instancing mechanics could not handle any kind of base building with this engine (as I have understood, correct me if wrong), players building bases would just make a mess on other players clients.

Space legs are a different story, but I see less need for that than atmospheric planets, where else we could even use those "space legs" outside our ships?

I could engage sarcastic mode, but in the past that has riled people up the wrong way .... so ...
Not saying Elite Dangerous won't have walking around in it, but First Person Shooter style game is new to Frontier and Elite, so as I stated above, I am of the opinion this is fake.

Almost all of their early references to Legs discussed FPS aspects, so this seems a strange objection ;)

latest

Could we lock this thread?

We know P2P and instancing mechanics could not handle any kind of base building with this engine (as I have understood, correct me if wrong), players building bases would just make a mess on other players clients.

Space legs are a different story, but I see less need for that than atmospheric planets, where else we could even use those "space legs" outside our ships?
What's wrong with you? If you don't like the thread how about go away?

What's wrong with you? If you don't like the thread how about go away?

Sorry no intention to offend anybody, but anything in this thread just does not make any sense, just another space legs/atmo-planets arguement at best again.

We all (should) know limits of the game engine, P2P and instancing will most likely make any kind of base building impossible.

Atmo-planets would be far more realistic aim (lighter version DLC for modern consoles, equal to PC version for next gen consoles), it would close the circle between first Elite/Elite 2 and FFE (Elite 3, that had planetary landings and stuff we have already now like mission boards, assassinations and passengers on board from stations/cities).

Disappointing if true, all of it. A lot of games based around JWE??

Also, base building in Elite - why and what’s the purpose? I’d rather see planetary landings.

We won’t have long to wait - if Zoo isn’t announced then we know this is **.

Also - what’s wrong with JWE at the moment?

If FD don’t deny this, then this roadmap could well be true. Some graphic artist is looking for a new job!
NMS was doing rather poorly and base building came along and now it's a healthy game again. There is a huge player group for base building games that hasn't been tapped.

There are plenty of ways it could be done - in theory, I have no access to any roadmaps, either fake or real - that would only use capabilities already demonstrated in the current release of Elite Dangerous.

If they only allow bases to change state weekly, they've had that capability since 2.0 for surface, 2.3 for space, and demonstrated the principle as part of the Thargoid station attack cycle.

I think you guys are losing sight of the fact its obviously just a wind up.

It is 4chan. But it's also not outside the bounds of possibility. Which means we get to have fun with it until franchise reveals nix it (or take it nuclear ;))

Last edited:
Its fake.

I just don't see this as a real life chat.

"Hi!"
"Hi!"
"How are you?"
"Busy with work at FD."
"Doing what?"
"Let me tell you - in detail - everything we're working on for the next 5 years..."

I hope its fake. IMO there's more gameplay to be gained from atnospheric planets than space legs. Given the wait until the end of 2020 I'd expect both space legs and atnospheric planets to be delivered by then.

NMS was doing rather poorly and base building came along and now it's a healthy game again. There is a huge player group for base building games that hasn't been tapped.

Space building vs. atmo-planets then...?
Can´t have both I doubt.

Are you not already bored/frustrated out of your mind visiting stations orbiting planets so beautiful and/or intresting you just wish you could visit, but can´t...

You'd be surprised how much people enjoy doing busy work like building and crafting in games. The potential to grow new player crowd is huge with such feature.
Myself though is not that great fan of it. It's a cool feature to have but I don't think I will do much with it. But I KNOW others will go nuts on it.

I dont think the crowd that like survival base building games will enjoy the rest of ED enough to invest the time.
If they dont have ED already for its spaceship aspects, then shoehorning in Base build mechanics wont change that.

ED is a spaceship simulator. Base building is off tone for this game.

It is 4chan. But it's also not outside the bounds of possibility. Which we means we get to have fun with it until franchise reveals nix it (or take it nuclear ;))

The problem with rampant theorycrafting is the people who subsequently decide its the word of god and then spend years moaning about being totally wrong about imaginary things FDEV fooling them.

If you wrote out a list of bullet points that are popular gripes/desire then joined them up with a half baked attempt at a roadmap with some secret squirrel names thrown in you'd have the "leak".

I'm not buying it.

Top Bottom