Patch Notes Update April Update - Patch Notes

Well we've got a dude insisting the drag munition won't make any difference for ganking, and also claiming experience with one of the least common most useless experimentals in the game, so probs we both need to go back to PvP skool cuz clearly we have it all wrong.

maybe you do got it all wrong. who knows

I built a torpedoboat T10 a while back and one of the first things I thought when I read that drag update was "man, I'm gonna slap some hounds/seekers on that and just bind them to the same trigger as the reverbs, this is gonna be absolutely disgusting"

Same. This change makes a bunch of t-10 variants worth considering. Of note, I believe the t-10 is the 3rd most forgiving ship when it comes to effect of 0 eng pips (after Vulture and FdL, IIRC) I could be a few off regarding 3rd but the gist is correct.

Yeah, but it doesn’t affect high wakes which is why it’s almost useless for a gank.

Wow that's even crappier.

My thought was that if you can actually land some torps rev cascade is almost always going to be a more effective choice so why use any other experimental.

Last edited:
by definition ganking is an act performed against another player(s) who has no chance to defend themselves. if someone is prepared for ganking, it stops being a ganking.

ryan_m

Banned
maybe you do got it all wrong. who knows

It really is incredible to see, though, that every single person I've fought with or against in this game comes down on one side of the issue and people I've never heard of or met PvPing in game are on the other side. Really makes you wonder who it is that really understands what is happening here.

So who do you think is the group with more information? A guy that gets deleted in 2 seconds every time someone shoots at him in open or every single member of a community that spends 100% of their in-game time fighting other people and building their ships around these effects?

by definition ganking is an act performed against another player(s) who has no chance to defend themselves. if someone is prepared for ganking, it stops being a ganking.

I've got tons of combat experience and good loadouts, but when a wing of 4 including FDLs, Cutters and Clippers pull me in shinrarta.. that's gank even though I'm prepared and I escape. It's simply an unsuccessful gank.

You're just way off with your speculation on drag munitions and ganking. It will affect ganking because certain ships/pilots who may have been adequately prepared before this change will no longer be adequately prepared. The fact it's irrelevant to paper airplanes doesn't change this.

If only I knew a thing or two about ganking. Check my sig.

It really is incredible to see, though, that every single person I've fought with or against in this game comes down on one side of the issue and people I've never heard of or met PvPing in game are on the other side. Really makes you wonder who it is that really understands what is happening here.

So who do you think is the group with more information? A guy that gets deleted in 2 seconds every time someone shoots at him in open or every single member of a community that spends 100% of their in-game time fighting other people and building their ships around these effects?

i never claimed i have more information from a PVP perspective. i only said, that from the ganked person's perspective it will make no difference and i stand by it. learn the meaning of the word before you throw it around. if you are prepared for it and you are expecting it, its not a gank

Clearly from a PvP perspective there is a potential problem here (depending on exact implementation which we will discover when the patch is released) and it's right to voice concerns and seek clarification over the ambiguity.

Personally I don't see any PvE benefit either, NPCs don't generally boost much. I'm not aware of any great discussion or demand for this change to have been made (maybe it was a bug report from some players that thought it wasn't behaving as intended).

But discounting someone's opinion just because they are not a player you know when 3m copies of the game have been sold is just arrogant.

You are justified in your concern, but it isn't the fault of other players and attacking their ignorance won't solve the problem.

i never claimed i have more information from a PVP perspective. i only said, that from the ganked person's perspective it will make no difference and i stand by it. learn the meaning of the word before you throw it around. if you are prepared for it, its not a gank

You just told the pilot who organized Distant Ganks 2 - resulting in literally thousands of ganks - to learn the meaning of the word gank.

Your arbitrary definition of gank is no better than anyone else's, and certainly has less credibility than Ryan's.

By all means keep babbling about how little this change matters to the paper airplanes, but no one with even modest PvP and/or ganking knowledge is going to take you seriously.

Just scanned this thread after a long, hard day at work, and I have to say it is really amazing. Ziljan, buddy, the size and density of your spaceballs is simply out of this world. How you keep from throwing your back out while packing them around I have no idea. Allow me to salute you in awed astonishment:
giphy.gif

Ok, on to the real point. Setting aside the fact that PP doesn't seem to be getting any love and that's pretty disappointing, I just want to give to Fdev straight up, pro-honesty: with this new drag effect you're destroying the one really awesome, worthwhile closest thing there is to skill based gameplay in your game. Please for the love of god come to your senses.

"Drag Munitions" engineering modification now disables the victims boost function whilst it is active

Is it possible that Drag Munitions now has the effect of disabling boost as a replacement of its existing function, rather than in addition to it, and the above has just been ambiguously worded?

I don't think it very likely, but thought I'd put it out there to consider.

finally catching on

Look muroko, you have a point. If a player feels they're gonna die anyway this isn't going to make any difference for them. I have a few 'disposable' ships that I don't mind losing too, but your point isn't really relevant to the issue precisely because that player was going to die anyway, just like the wuss with 8x shield boosters will still have time to high wake away.

The problem is with those situations in the middle where this change can make the difference between surviving/winning and dying/losing, and it potentially makes a significant change to the meta - everyone in potential conflict with others will need to fit a small frag turret now, just as a defensive tool like point defence or heatsinks. That reduces player choice. As ryan_m wrote earlier, there is no silver lining. It won't be better for anyone regardless of playstyle.

ryan_m

Banned
Clearly from a PvP perspective there is a potential problem here (depending on exact implementation which we will discover when the patch is released) and it's right to voice concerns and seek clarification over the ambiguity.

Personally I don't see any PvE benefit either, NPCs don't generally boost much. I'm not aware of any great discussion or demand for this change to have been made (maybe it was a bug report from some players that thought it wasn't behaving as intended).

But discounting someone's opinion just because they are not a player you know when 3m copies of the game have been sold is just arrogant.

You are justified in your concern, but it isn't the fault of other players and attacking their ignorance won't solve the problem.

If he weren't trying to argue with people that actually know what they're talking about and tell them they're wrong, I'm not sure I'd have an issue at all.

If he weren't trying to argue with people that actually know what they're talking about and tell them they're wrong, I'm not sure I'd have an issue at all.

Well I'll have a word with all the other contributors to make sure they don't upset you again, okay?

;)

ETA this is a joke. I am not actually going to do this.

Top Bottom