When and what is the tick?

Good evening fellow denizens of the BGS Asylum for the Statistically Insane :D

Seeing things somewhere between 15:30 and 16:30 IGT - sound about right for others?

Pretty sure I saw it around 16:00 UTC yesterday

Hmm.. I'm always suspicious when one of the days results in a draw during a conflict. In this case it's an election, and I ran half a dozen missions with election-related titles. Today, no change in either direction. Considering progress to this point over the last week has been virtually unopposed... I find it difficult to believe that contributions, when there's active participants on either/both sides, can come out as a draw so easily.

@Witcher 7 - It moves around. Often it changes on a patch. Sometimes it gets stalled.
And it rolls out inconsistently. So some folks will be reporting that their systems have ticked, and others will not see it yet. I've heard tell that it's a kind of rolling calculation that moves across the galaxy in an almost physical way.

I work it out from the AEDC Discord.
Usually someone starts screaming TICK OR RIOT! and the folks start to post pics of ticks.

It's kinda like an election or referendum every day. You do your bit, and then the result comes and you celebrate or work out what you have to change.

Usually someone starts screaming TICK OR RIOT! and the folks start to post pics of ticks.
Lol @DNA-Decay, are you saying it's manually triggered when it doesn't tick at scheduled time of maybe 1600 UTC?

Are AEDC members watching for the tick daily?
Yeah.... the absence of posts here suggested it happens.
Turns out this tick, my faction lost a point in the election, so I'm being resisted (though I don't know how seriously... traffic report had not much more than background noise.

are you saying it's manually triggered when it doesn't tick at scheduled time of maybe 1600 UTC?
More complicated than that.

The tick is a process, not an event, so across the populated galaxy it can take about 20-60 minutes to complete. If you were logged in before the tick, your client may also be caching some data locally, so you might not see the tick in some data for another couple of hours.

The tick is supposed to start 24 hours after the start of the previous one, which it usually does, but if there's any delays to the tick then the next one will be later, and then that will be the new scheduled time. So it tends to slowly rotate around the clock, with periods of greater or lesser stability: at the moment it's reasonably stable and has been starting at about 1600 for a while, whereas at other times it can slip by an hour or two a day.

On major version releases it will sometimes be reset to 1200 UTC, or sometimes allowed to continue at its previous time.

It’s sure not triggered by the players. Otherwise it would switch back and forth between when Jane Turner gets home from work and when Mangal Oemie gets home from work.

Hey maybe we could have a forum vote and a CG to pick a new tick time?

Top Bottom