The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I've learned there are going to be org hangers, where people can open up their ships for other org members to use.

Anyone else having bad thoughts about the mischief you could get up to with such a feature.

Joins Test
Takes Irdris
Crashes Idris
Respawn
Take another big ship
Crash ship
Respawn

How many ships could you destroy before getting kicked from the Org?

For best effect, learn when the quiet time of the org is so most are sleeping when you do it.

No no... i'm not condoning griefing... no players would be harmed.

I have a better plan.

Depending on how they do permissions and ownership we might not be able to SELL it.

But...

- Take it to a shipyard and remove every component and sell THEM.

or

• Talk to friends with salvage ships
  • Crash Idris and salvage the remains, im sure capital ship sized parts are worth something

And you have to think economically.

Why crash an Idris when you can:

• Fill an Idris with ships
  • Fill another Idris with ships
  • Fill a third one with ships
  • Put them in very close proximity
  • Crash your third Idris into the other two (and eject from a safe distance so you can watch the fireworks)

If you start thinking about all the edge cases, there are a lot of "How the hell is this actually gonna work?!?!?"

Like:

*You and me go exploring in your Carack. We both log out one night in the ship. But you decide you don't want to play anymore. But I've logged off in you're ship. Where do I end up if I log in without you spawning the Carack?

*You and a group of friends spawn in a big ship. On the landing pad I sneak in and run straight to a bed and log off setting my spawn point as your ship. Every now and then I log in, find and kill someone, run back and log out in a bed. Repeat. The ship now has a murderous ghost that shows up every once in a while.

The best way to handle that would be that the OWNER could set a ship state. So if he wants to risk it being persistent he can do so or that other people when they log in would activate the ship.

There is also the fun part in what happens if i log in and spawn my ship on top of someone else. Instant SPLAT.

One thing you can bank on is there will be more ships,so somewhere to put them is probably a priority ;)

Considering how quickly 1500-2000 USD carriers sell it would not surprise me if they sell a defenseless tube for transporting ships for less than a thousand with the express purpose of ONLY moving ships and it will sell like hotcakes.

Car_transporter_001.JPG

There is also the fun part in what happens if i log in and spawn my ship on top of someone else. Instant SPLAT.
Here's a variant. Have a bait ship, like a small cargo ship parked in a convenient spot. Wait for a group of gankers to come around. Then that ship calls all his mates (on separate voice comms) that were unlogged just around him, a whole fleet of warships spawns there and proceeds to kick the gankers until they cry.
Almost makes me want to try it...

Here's a variant. Have a bait ship, like a small cargo ship parked in a convenient spot. Wait for a group of gankers to come around. Then that ship calls all his mates (on separate voice comms) that were unlogged just around him, a whole fleet of warships spawns there and proceeds to kick the gankers **** until they cry.
Almost makes me want to try it...

That...should actually work.

That is, as long as persistence actually work and that people in the same group end up in the same instance on said location.

Not to mention it would look like they all just de-cloaked.

The best way to handle that would be that the OWNER could set a ship state. So if he wants to risk it being persistent he can do so or that other people when they log in would activate the ship.

Which will just turn the tables and make the owner the griefer instead, though.

My god, its getting upvotes!

Where are the faithful saying "its alpha!" and "I guess this isn't the game for you"?
The Forbes article goes public in two weeks,the reality that worst case scenario the project gets shut down is a fact that can’t be denied. Even the biggest defenders are casting a critical eye on CIG now.
If the article passes by with barely a ripple,expect normality to resume.

Has the raising of so much money completely unfocused the dev's from what they originally had in mind?
I was watching a streamer the other week and they were getting all moist because they could spend 15 mins walking around the station to find a turtle and take it back to their room!
I'm not a game dev so have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, but... would it not be better to concentrate on the core parts of the game first, get that nailed and then start adding the blingy bits afterwards?

(Please note: If you're the kind of person who likes to take turtles back to your room I'm not judging :) )

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Has the raising of so much money completely unfocused the dev's from what they originally had in mind?
I was watching a streamer the other week and they were getting all moist because they could spend 15 mins walking around the station to find a turtle and take it back to their room!
I'm not a game dev so have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, but... would it not be better to concentrate on the core parts of the game first, get that nailed and then start adding the blingy bits afterwards?

(Please note: If you're the kind of person who likes to take turtles back to your room I'm not judging:) )

My personal take on that is that the money didn’t really unfocus anything. I think CIG encountered serious technical and competence related issues and limitations even to deliver the original scope as promised estimated at the time for 2014. The unexpected money influx was then used as excuse and basis to increase scope which in turn allowed them to justify further delays. The rest is history.

Last edited:
My personal take on that is that the money didn’t really unfocus anything. I think CIG encountered serious technical and competence related issues and limitations even to deliver the original scope as promised estimated at the time for 2014. The unexpected money influx was then used as excuse and basis to increase scope which in turn allowed them to justify further delays. The rest is history.
Selling ships is a great money spinner,releasing a game would effectively end the cash cow so there isn’t an incentive to make any real progress. Pumping resources into hype and ships is a sound business decision and the longer it takes the more money you stand to make.

Well...my exciting Star Citizen gameplay vid at last...apologies for the length, content (or lack of) and my lack of video editing skills. I sould take lessons from The Yamiks or Obsidian Ant :rolleyes:

When I see the size of that ship and the idea of spacelegs and possible FPS inside the ship as it moves through space / QT / whatever, I can say "That is a serious undertaking to make that work". Just a bit of rubberbanding in "The other game" is enough to make ship to ship combat feel like clown shoes, without having maybe 10 or more folks running round a ship.

I suppose someone with more programming knowledge could explain that it is all meshes and rigs, so computation of every single one of those pixels positions is not really going on in real time every clock cycle...?

Oh and you park like my wife in a multi-storey... True fact, there are some things in life a Volvo V70 will come off worst against!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom