The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Pay-to-win is literally CI¬G's entire business model.

I have no idea why any Commando, old or new, hasn't worked that out after about, oh, 2 minutes of looking at the sales page.

Pay-to-win is literally CI¬G's entire business model.

I have no idea why any Commando, old or new, hasn't worked that out after about, oh, 2 minutes of looking at the sales page.

Go and debate it on the SC sub and you will hear all sorts of reasons why its not pay to win or why its justified in the special case of SC.

Go and debate it on the SC sub and you will hear all sorts of reasons why its not pay to win or why its justified in the special case of SC.

I am not making a judgement call on whether P2W is good or bad in this case, I'm simply saying that it is... and anyone either claiming or hoping for otherwise is mistaken/ignorant/lying.

FWIW I think that CG¬G's business model is hideous on so many levels, with player fairness vs ship purchaser expectation being only one of them!

Statistically speaking, yes, it's huge in this case. Any statistician will tell you an unbiased sample size of 21,220 is complete overkill for most purposes. For the same reason a poll of only 1,004 Americans represent 260 million people with only a 3 percent margin of error.

The main issue though, is whether the sample is unbiased.

you are comparing apples with oranges.
you are talking about Statistical inference where you analize a sample and extend the tesults to the entire population.
But as you said the sample have to be unbiased or representative of the entire population.
One of the most important rule when you select a sample, to be representative the sample don't have to select themselves for the statistical analisys.
This is the reason why statistical analisys made in a TV program collecting answers by phone calls made by spectarors have no meaning.
You can't extend the behavior of a sample to the entire polulation if that sample don't represent the actual population.
When you ask a polulation to answer a question you can't extend the result to the entire population if the responders are a fiew percentage because it is really probable that the ones that don't have answered would had answered NO, because the ones answering YES have much more motivation to repond the question than the others.
Since my english is bad I don't know if I have made myself clear, but the conclusion is that in this case you can't use Statistical inference but you have to consider at least the majority of the entire population.

Last edited:
you are talking about Statistical inference where you analize a sample and extend the tesults to the entire population.
But as you said the sample have to be unbiased or representative of the entire population.
One of the most important rule when you select a sample, to be representative the sample don't have to select themselves for the statistical analisys.
This is the reason why statistical analisys made in a TV program collecting answers by phone calls made by spectarors have no meaning.
You can't extend the behavior of a sample to the entire polulation if that sample don't represent the actual population.
When you ask a polulation to answer a question you can't extend the result to the entire population if the responders are a fiew percentage because it is really probable that the ones that don't have answered didn't answer simply because they don't even know the analisys where taken or for a milion other reasons.
Since my english is bad I don't know if I have made myself clear, but the conclusion is that in this case you can't use Statistical inference but you have to consider at least the majority of the entire population.

Your English is fine, plenty good enough to understand easily!

And yes, self-selected audiences are absolutely not representative. Polling firms spend a lot of effort in putting together processes to get representative samples, and even those often throw up potential issues: eg if pollsters only phone land lines they will miss most of the younger population. It's very different to a page stuck up on the Internet.

FYI I work in the advertising & media world where, essentially, the opposite takes place: targeting specific demographics. The underlying theory is identical.

Which is a thing you could detect within minutes once you have it happen ten, hundred, thousand times, and then, you know... disable.

Edit: Maybe if there were ten or twenty such stations, with very low local presence (an officer or none, they are hunting criminals after all) and they would have various levels of security (some are super easily hackable, some not at all) which would change over time (let's say as security version patches are distributed - which could lead to easily recognizable level of security, if it's on the latest version, you know it will be tough), then it could be believable. You'd have to find (or get from other players) which terminal is easy to hack this week, consider whether it's okay to hack it (maybe it's too far and you should go for some tougher, but closer one) and then proceed as usual, maybe avoiding killing the local AI if you wish (or not, for extra "fun").

Of course, for this CI~G would have to have NPCs, AI, multiple outposts and means to implement variables in hacking terminals.
Well, it's their first iteration of it so i expect it to change, a lot.

I could see them making a lot more tiered places access like small infractions requires a small bribe but removing the criminal record of hannibal lecter might require a top notch hacker npc access.

I've learned there are going to be org hangers, where people can open up their ships for other org members to use.

Anyone else having bad thoughts about the mischief you could get up to with such a feature.

Joins Test
Takes Irdris
Crashes Idris
Respawn
Take another big ship
Crash ship
Respawn

How many ships could you destroy before getting kicked from the Org?

For best effect, learn when the quiet time of the org is so most are sleeping when you do it.

No no... i'm not condoning griefing... no players would be harmed.

I've learned there are going to be org hangers, where people can open up their ships for other org members to use.

Anyone else having bad thoughts about the mischief you could get up to with such a feature.

Joins Test
Takes Irdris
Crashes Idris
Respawn
Take another big ship
Crash ship
Respawn

For best effect, learn when the quiet time of the org is so most are sleeping when you do it.

One thing you can bank on is there will be more ships,so somewhere to put them is probably a priority ;)

What happen if you log off in a bed with other commandos in the ship? Theoretically I get what they aim to do, practically I don't know how they can manage to implement this in an effective way with the ton of side effects, paradoxes, bugs and exploits their concepts can and will generate. Let alone they can't manage to make mundane things like doors or standing still ships behave right yet.

If you start thinking about all the edge cases, there are a lot of "How the hell is this actually gonna work?!?!?"

Like:

*You and me go exploring in your Carack. We both log out one night in the ship. But you decide you don't want to play anymore. But I've logged off in you're ship. Where do I end up if I log in without you spawning the Carack?

*You and a group of friends spawn in a big ship. On the landing pad I sneak in and run straight to a bed and log off setting my spawn point as your ship. Every now and then I log in, find and kill someone, run back and log out in a bed. Repeat. The ship now has a murderous ghost that shows up every once in a while.

When you ask a polulation to answer a question you can't extend the result to the entire population if the responders are a fiew percentage because it is really probable that the ones that don't have answered would had answered NO, because the ones answering YES have much more motivation to repond the question than the others.

And I specifically said that, but in far fewer words:
Ofc the issue is, it's not an unbiased sample. They weren't chosen randomly.

Edit: And I just realised you got 6 likes, for something I said in my original post, lol.

Last edited:
*You and me go exploring in your Carack. We both log out one night in the ship. But you decide you don't want to play anymore. But I've logged off in you're ship. Where do I end up if I log in without you spawning the Carack?

]*You and a group of friends spawn in a big ship. On the landing pad I sneak in and run straight to a bed and log off setting my spawn point as your ship. Every now and then I log in, find and kill someone, run back and log out in a bed. Repeat. The ship now has a murderous ghost that shows up every once in a while.

We could imagine game breakers for hours. But I guess the handwave master has many gestures that will explain how they'll manage to make this work.

Joins Test
Takes Irdris
Crashes Idris
Respawn
Take another big ship
Crash ship
Respawn

The more complex your system the emergenter the content. Nooks and crannies are things to explore and exploit. I fully expect a hive mind of players descending on the Elysian Fields of SC and re-defining what the game is about. And I have a suspicion the devs will have no clue woss happening.

If you start thinking about all the edge cases, there are a lot of "How the hell is this actually gonna work?!?!?"

Like:

*You and a group of friends spawn in a big ship. On the landing pad I sneak in and run straight to a bed and log off setting my spawn point as your ship. Every now and then I log in, find and kill someone, run back and log out in a bed. Repeat. The ship now has a murderous ghost that shows up every once in a while.

Oooh, i like it.

Recorded a vid tonight of a short part from my typical days gameplay, a shortish cargo run in the Cat...it was late, I forgot to record my Mic so none of the Voice Attack commands or bored comments came through besides the disjointed voice of Alix, my ship's computer acknowledging my voice commands (when she felt like it, she still doesn't get my Scottish accent). All my mates had gone to bed so I was flying the last run on my lonesome just before I logged off.

The server was also on the way out (and full) since I had been playing for a few hours so weird graphics glitches and micro-stuttering were starting to creep in. It's full of the bugs I saw and experienced and not edited in any way. It's also very boring :) Kinda Mole plays Star Citizen the way he played Elite Dangerous...but there's absolutely no shouting involved, no paid shill content/editing/embelishment so you can see how I usually play and exactly how bugged SC 3.5 can get as opposed to showing only the exciting, edited for audience stuff typical of streamers...

It's as I played it, weird graphic errors, micro-stuttering, text chat interfering with the controls and causing it's own brand of 3.5 patch stuttering... the lot. Kinda typical late night on a busy server where the netcode had begun to fall apart. Can't wait to see the back of this 3.5 patch...it's crap. You can tell I was tired by the way I parked the Cat at Levski...needs a bit of shoe horning to get it in the hangar and my L33t SkillZ had drained away with my last caffeine fix a few hours previously.

Anyway, I'll upload it in the morning when it's finished the YouTube processing...no superfast broadband up here in the frozen north ;)

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom