Ships Mamba Mamba - Not muching loving for it?

I've just grabbed myself a mamba to try out and it seems ok.

From what I understand it is like the non-identical twin to the FDL. So why doesn't it get similar loving as the FDL?

And if you are a fan what do you use it for and how are you fit?

I found the handling terrible for a fighter and it suffered from heat issues. I liked its hardpoints more than the FDL, but it’s weaker shields and increased speed weren’t a fair trade off for me, the FDL is fast enough.

Looks really cool though...

I confess I probably wasn’t patient enough with it. I’ll keep an eye of this thread and see if someone can bring me round... 👍

I like my mamba! I held off on getting one for a while as, like you said, it didn't (and still doesn't) get much love here. But I took the plunge and now that it's all engineered I enjoy it quite a bit. The heat you read about is real but can be balanced well with a 6A PP with thermal spread and a cooler weapon loadout. Running incendiary frags and multicannons I've never run into heat problems.

The cockpit view is super classy. The hardpoint convergence on the huge and two smalls is good, but the two larges are out on the wings and thus aren't great for fixed guns. Here's my current loadout:

2 large gimballed frags, grade 5 overcharged with incendiary rounds
2 small gimballed multis: one grade 1 high-cap with corrosive shell, one grade 3 overcharged with autoloader
1 huge gimballed multi, grade 5 rapid fire with autoloader

Most NPC shields melt after the first 3-round frag burst, and then you can decimate power plants with the multis. For tankier enemies the corrosion effect will soften the hull enough that the next frag burst will bring doom. And the mamba is fast enough with dirty drives that you can stay close enough that chaff makes no difference.

I recommend it!

I like mine so much I want to buy a paint job, but it's on an alt so I'm holding out. Beams and huge multi actually seen pretty effective, and not had any heat issues, though I need to take it out more.

My main issue is the hitbox seems to stop it getting up close for planetary scans, despite it looking like the data point should fit 'between' the pontoons.

I've just grabbed myself a mamba to try out and it seems ok.

From what I understand it is like the non-identical twin to the FDL. So why doesn't it get similar loving as the FDL?

The FDL is a much better ship. The Mamba handles very poorly. The FDL also has slightly better armor and shields, and while it can be somewhat subjective, optional internal layout. The only area the Mamba is better is straight line speed which does not really make a difference in combat.

I really wish it was better, love the look and the cockpit, along with the center seat.

I test drove one during the last beta and I wasn't very impressed. I did not get one after beta. However, I bought one a couple months ago because I heard they had improved a few things. I put all my FDL modules on it so it has some good pieces and parts but I just can't get comfy with it. I like my FDL better. The Mamba is a beautiful ship like others say and a great view but I'll probably sell it eventually. I'll never sell the FDL. I guess that's nuff said.

GL HF

I love my mamba as it is now. No heat issues anymore since I engineered it to be a rally cool ship. Handles great and the large guns make it a blast.

lore wise the mamba should have been a small ship, would have been spot on.

this was a letdown and i couldn't really care much about yet another medium ship at that point. but it's a very nice ship: the canopy is gorgeus, sound is very nice, hardpoints are superb, it's not as maneuverable and jumpy as my old trusty fdl but ... wait a sec, i've been only flying my viper for the half past year!

It's not an FDL. The flight model is significantly different, as are the hardpoints.

Superficially, in terms of overall loadout, it's similar enough on paper, but it fills a different niche in practice.

It seems to have a solid wing niche and makes a good pursuit vessel, but it's out classed by the FDL in direct 1v1 confrontations.

Since I'm not regularly part of a wing, I'm seriously considering converting my Mamba to an AX vessel (after I unlock more Guardian junk) or an exploer (mostly for the novelty, but it can do this acceptably with the additional slot, and does make a fun canyon racer).

This is my current Mamba build. I use it for bubble jumping, material gathering, haz RES, and kill missions. It can easily handle anything in pve, and as of yet has been hardy enough to escape any pvp.

It used to be a strait combat build, but there are just too many other strait combat ships I enjoy over it for such things. It's too beautiful of a ship to not use though, and also a real joy to fly, so I set up for more utility instead.

There's a lot of great paint jobs for it too!
VlTEldu.png

I like the Mamba for the VR experience and only that. Fun to fly all engineered out but handles like a brick and just a tad better agility than a Corvette. Turns like really trick and cool looking 18 wheeler,...But I still fly it from time to time...It really is a good looking boat regardless of what it can or can't do!:cool:

does anyone know if frontier has said anything about fixing the landing gear? the landing gear not retracting has always been a turn off for me on a otherwise cool looking ship

The spaced out small hardpoints really are annoying me. I wish hardpoint convergence was a bit tighter, but it isn't bad. one fixed small + fixed large is a match. All other combinations are pretty loose.

I definitely feel more poweful in the FDL. Way more fixed weapon possibilities. Better SCB layout.

does anyone know if frontier has said anything about fixing the landing gear? the landing gear not retracting has always been a turn off for me on a otherwise cool looking ship

The landing gear retract for me. I am trying this in camera mode flying around and the landing gear are flush with the ship.

I had this issue for a while and then I didn't, I think they must have fixed it at some point.

I prefer the Mamba to the FDL, but it needs to be engineered for better maneuvering. I can't stand the FDL cockpit. Mamba has all guns on top side too, which is useful.

I bought my Mamba 2 days ago, as a reward for reaching 1B Credits mark. This pushed me again below 1B and I had to recover from that so not much flying time. So far I'm pleased with handling, even with stock E-rated build. But it's no brainer, Mamba feels great when you step down from T-9, right?

I want to turn her into luxurious personal sport ship / data runner so lacks in maneuvering armor, shields and weapon layout doesn't affect me. Lightweight, powerful and fast is what interests me right now. After I'm done with my current goal I'm going to transfer few ships home and start working on my private yacht.

According to Sagitarius Eye (Issue 17, January) Mamba is the best smuggler ship. "An A-rated throughout, fully-engineered combat vessel, full of passenger cabins, can still achieve speeds of 619 m/s. This means that a furtive pilot can get in and out of a station unhindered, whilst still retaining the option to flee any engagement.", and "When it comes to high risk/high value passenger or delivery contracts, there’s nothing more important than safe travel. Racers have a near-paperthin hull, whilst the mighty Mamba has speed and firepower. If all you end up using that speed for is getting into the Coriolis before any scanner-happy security forces can clock you, it is worth the cost."

Top Bottom