PLEASE MAKE POWERPLAY IN "OPEN ONLY"

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
The option is there, simply it is not enforced like it should in powerplay because there are people who do not accept player competition.

It is amusing to see you people climbing mirrors, powerplay's rewards are weapons especially designed for pvp. And yet you are stubborn in denying open only powerplay.
Arguably it is not there, as one cannot attack players in Solo or Private Groups to which one is not a member. There is no enforced PvP in this game - apart from CQC/Arena.

Whether it should be, or not, is a matter of opinion.

Weapons "specifically designed for PvP" or just plain old weapons that can be used in both PvE and PvP?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
So, in open I have that option.
Indeed, you do.
I would like to be able to have the option to defend my power from solo and pg cheaters. Because a player who does powerplay in solo is a cheater who likes to wins easily without opposition.
If affecting Powerplay in Solo and Private Groups was cheating then I'd expect that Frontier would have patched it out at some point in the (very nearly) four years since it was added to the game.

The fact that they have not suggests that they don't share the opinion that affecting Powerplay in Solo / PGs is cheating.
You open pvp detractors are one big factor which removes this desired option from my gameplay.
What does not exist is not being removed - it never existed in the first instance.
Do you pvp?
No, it is a tedious waste of my time with an entirely predictable outcome, in my experience.

So, in open I have that option. I would like to be able to have the option to defend my power from solo and pg cheaters. Because a player who does powerplay in solo is a cheater who likes to wins easily without opposition. You open pvp detractors are one big factor which removes this desired option from my gameplay.

Do you pvp?
Again: Opinion was asked for. Opinion was given. The 'majority' of opinion; was then acted upon. Hence, no power play open exclusivity.

You see there are too many players out there, that have had enough, of being made other players content. The gankers, the seal clubbers, bullies and others that have prayed on the week, since the beginning of the game; Unwittingly killed this proposal, before it existed.

oh not again. You are a moderator right? go look for one of the myriads of open powerplay debates in this forum with a link I provided from a games newspaper site who interviewed him. I am frankly tired of speaking with rubber walls.

And when you find it please do not dissect every word to find something you can grab and accept that the community has cut powerplay's wings with all this fear of competition.
It was a suggestion. A proposal, not a promise; no matter how much you would like to have been so.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
For me it is cheating. You probably never played powerplay because it is not a good feeling when all your efforts are ruined by invisible players. I do not care what FD thinks of it, as a player for me it is cheating, that is why I do not powerplay anymore.

It existed but was killed in its infancy. Legit pvp mode burnt by pvp haters.

Your last answer certifies to me how biased you are and how not qualified you are of discussing pvp related matters.
You are, of course, free to hold that opinion - just as others are free not to share it.

Powerplay has never been limited to Open play only, therefore the ability to attack all opposition players has never existed.

This is a game with entirely optional PvP - one need not enjoy PvP to comment on game features (none of which require one to engage in PvP - apart from CQC / Arena, of course).

You open pvp detractors are one big factor which removes this desired option from my gameplay.

Hold on, we don't remove anything. Its FD who decide what is done with the game. All we are doing is discussing and expressing our opinions.

If you want to have a go at someone for not giving you what you want, then address your issues to the devs. But the devs have heard all the arguments for and against a thousand times over. The ball is in their court. To date, they have chosen to not make PP open only. That is all.

Power play is arguably not about organising players though so that element is pretty moot.

Once apon a time it was:
with is very squadron like interface [0.36 ish].

That was all stripped away. And yet we come full circle and squadrons + a new BGS are doing what that video suggested. Pledges wanted what was in that video, being able to post messages so at least people could communicate about why a system or objective is better than another.

Plus, you need to communicate somehow in Powerplay. Since nothing else was offered Reddit and eventually Discord took over.

Irrelevant - does not change the fact that PP provides different gameplay.

How is it different? I've detailed my position, what is yours? How is hauling solo forever in Powerplay different gameplay to a BGS cargo run mission? You say Open Powerplay would deny people gameplay unique to it - what is this experience you are talking about? Is ticking prep rather than consolidate this holy grail?

Squadrons are a means to organise CMDRs, Powerplay is a means to engage in a form of true territorial gameplay that CMDRs can influence, the BGS is just the baseline simulation. They each serve a different purpose, it is irrelevant whether you personally think the combination of Squadrons with the BGS provides superior gameplay.

Its not irrelevant when I've detailed to you both do the same thing to the point (at a gameplay level) they are achieving the same function. The BGS originally was not intended for what it eventually became, and now it offers territorial gameplay with Squadrons allowing in game communication and organisation.

Hence, duplicated experiences that make Powerplay redundant without change.

For me it is cheating. You probably never played powerplay because it is not a good feeling when all your efforts are ruined by invisible players. I do not care what FD thinks of it, as a player for me it is cheating, that is why I do not powerplay anymore.

It existed but was killed in its infancy. Legit pvp mode burnt by pvp haters.

Your last answer certifies to me how biased you are and how not qualified you are of discussing pvp related matters.
For every so called 'invisible player' opposing your own faction. There is another 'invisible player' on your own side.

Again: This argument of, 'we can't touch them and it is not fair'; is invalid.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Regarding Sandro's posts on the topic, here are a few relevant quotes:

Hello Commanders!

Firstly, thank you for your continued feedback. The passion here is both amazing, terrifying and humbling.

To reiterate a few points:

1. The reason we have opened this feedback channel is specifically to hear your opinions before we decide on how to proceed. Although any final decision will always settle on our shoulders, feedback you provide plays a massively significant role and nothing yet is set in stone.

2. We see a number of interesting issues that we're chewing over: accessibility of Powerplay modules, PMF and Powers, pad blocking to name a few. We'll keep you update with our thoughts.

3. We are looking at the possibility of Open only for Powerplay only. Not the BGS or anything else.

Folk can demand whatever they wish, but we are only considering Open only for Powerplay, as we feel it may be uniquely suited to supporting the feature.

In addition, this is far from a done deal, and we're acutely aware of the importance of such a change, which is why we want to get feedback from the user base before committing to anything.

Hello Commanders

A quick update.

First, thank you once again for your participation in this thread. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Clearly the Open Mode question is important, so we want to spend a good amount of time examining all of the options and collecting feedback before we come to any decision. To reiterate, nothing is set in stone. This is still an investigation.

I will be posting a new, follow up thread next week, I hope you will be able to spare a moment or two to check it out and contribute.

Hello Commanders!

Thank you for the feedback so far! Keep it coming!

And just to reiterate: these topics represent investigations only. We are not committing to any changes at the moment.

...........and what are the odds of meeting said 'opposer'. This argument has been proved a myth, over a number of threads on this subject. You cannot guarantee, that you will ever meet them. Even if you play, on all of the available platforms, simultaneously. Thinking that you can and will, is naive at best. Therefore those trying to sell open only P/P on these grounds, is promoting a lie and offering false hopes; to the genuine PvP power players.

The point is that you might which is better than never.

Not so easy. The devs have been influenced multiple times by the vocal community of players who gets angry when ganked. Anaconda nerf comes to mind, it was suggested by Sandro too, and the poopoostorm did stop the devs from making intended changes.

If by that you mean the devs have listened to the arguments and found some of them persausive, its possible. We don't know.

If they do agree with us that are against OOPP then it means they agree with us, and that is that.

What i'm feeling you are saying is that you simply don't want anyone to post opposing views, and if we didn't, then FD would agree with you and make OOPP happen. I think that is a rather naive position to take.

Also, a word of advice, as our discussions have proceeded to you become more and more insulting to those who hold a different point of view to yourself. You might want to dial back on that, because that is one way to get the devs to ignore anything you write, and if you step too far over that line and become directly insulting, the mods can whack you, and that will be the end of your crusade here ;)

If powerplay was designed to be played in open exclusively, then that is a design flaw in powerplay as all of Elite is supposed to work with mode parity. Which means powerplay needs to be redesigned to adhere to mode parity while still maintaining a competitive player vs player center, even if players never meet ship to ship.

Aside from the neutral and unbiased tone which was obviously professionally needed, do you think Sandro was more inclined to open mode powerplay or this mess powerplay is in now?

I think Sandro was open to giving it a try. I presume his superiors said he was welcome to air the idea with the community with the usual caveats (no guarantees, no promies, no eta).

Sandro has left now and the last we heard on the topic was from Adam or Will (?) saying its something they are still thinking about (? - someone can correct me) but no plans for now.

In short, it might happen one day, it might not. Its not likely it will happen any time soon as the devs seem to be focused on the big update for next year... so unless part of that big update includes a revamp of PP, i wouldn't expect Open Only to happen before then, even if the devs are 100% in favour.

All we can really do is wait and see.

You keep doing the same biased mistake which probably is a scar to your ego conducted by a competitive player against you. I cannot understand why someone who does not like pvp cares about powerplay exclusivity. It is probably some weird vengeance desire thing for having been ganked.
Errr... Hello: Would you like to quote me? Where I have stated that I 'do not like PvP. I have never said that. I mostly play in open and can afford that risk. Otherwise, I would play in PG.

The base line and the whole point of my view on this discussion is simple. I am against; changing the way the game is played and removing content, from those that have enjoyed it since its implementation: It is wrong in my opinion. I have stated, in a number of other threads on this now pointless subject. It should have been open only in the first place; not 3 to 4 years down the road; because some players; are not getting their desired content.

To be blunt: Any player that wants to play in open and take part in power play. Does so and basically enjoys doing so. They attempt the deal with any opponents that they find. They don't whine about a lack of content; because they know that they will meet, like minded player; to interact with. The issue that they may have, is combat logging and nothing to do with any other players, that they may imagine exist, in another part of the game.

Top Bottom