Updated Games via Physical Distribution

Is software that is distributed via disc (a common practice on PS4) ever get updated in the pressing of the discs themselves, or do all updates always come via download? For example, if I buy RDR2 today, is there any chance of getting a disc with at least the first update already applied? Likewise, do people buying ED for PS4 still get version 2.3, or will they get a newer version?

Obviously there is the issue of how long old discs are in stock (shelf life), but I just wonder if it's common for newer discs to be pressed with newer code. As someone with limited bandwidth, I'm kinda hoping I don't need to download a huge patch for RDR2!

Is software that is distributed via disc (a common practice on PS4) ever get updated in the pressing of the discs themselves, or do all updates always come via download? For example, if I buy RDR2 today, is there any chance of getting a disc with at least the first update already applied? Likewise, do people buying ED for PS4 still get version 2.3, or will they get a newer version?

Obviously there is the issue of how long old discs are in stock (shelf life), but I just wonder if it's common for newer discs to be pressed with newer code. As someone with limited bandwidth, I'm kinda hoping I don't need to download a huge patch for RDR2!
If I remember rightly, the day one patch for RDR2 was 1.2Gb...surprisingly light. I don't think I've had an update since...not that I can remember...or was there a separate patch for the multiplayer thing? Can't remember either :rolleyes:

If I remember rightly, the day one patch for RDR2 was 1.2Gb...surprisingly light. I don't think I've had an update since...not that I can remember...or was there a separate patch for the multiplayer thing? Can't remember either :rolleyes:
Well that's not bad at all! For some reason I thought the update was huge. I'm only interested in single player right now, so this good.

Well that's not bad at all! For some reason I thought the update was huge. I'm only interested in single player right now, so this good.
I think the multiplayer download is complulsory...I've never used myself it but the game still requires it.

Is software that is distributed via disc (a common practice on PS4) ever get updated in the pressing of the discs themselves, or do all updates always come via download?
Rarely. The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition got patched with all DLC on disc. Otherwise you get version 1.00, whatever that is.

For example, if I buy RDR2 today, is there any chance of getting a disc with at least the first update already applied? Likewise, do people buying ED for PS4 still get version 2.3, or will they get a newer version?
They get whatever Frontier has put into disc production.

You can play version 1.00 for yourself. Updates are not compulsory, unless you care for multi-player and bugfixes.

Yeah you need to look for stuff like 'GOTY' or 'GOLD' editions (can be other words too), that specifically mention they include DLC's x,y,z etc. Keep in mind the console platforms now use the online aspect of consoles as a form of extra DRM, so they actually (mostly) want you to connect to download updates etc as they can then verify (and charge you extra via the online membership scales etc) your ownership.

It was just one of the many reasons i got 'out' of having consoles these last few generations.

If I remember rightly, the day one patch for RDR2 was 1.2Gb...surprisingly light.
It's 10 GB for me - still downloading, at a friends (I don't have the bandwidth). However whatever version came on disc (I'm assuming 1.00) is surprisingly good. I've not encountered any of the major bugs I read about. That's one thing I do love about offline games, I can play without the update (unlike online games which "break" as soon as an update is released, until you download that update).

Every morning I wake up to a potential update to windows 10 via broadband.

You could try contacting Frontier citing you have special needs. You never know.

So in hindsight, I'm actually very happy that my RDR2 disc is version 1.0 instead of the latest version. It might be in my head (though I'm not the only one), but the updates seem to have made the game more buggy and graphically inferior* to the release version. At the very least I can (and will) reinstall version 1.0 from the disc and test it for myself to see which I prefer. You can't do this with a downloaded game.

And here I thought ED was the only game that got worse** with updates, LOL.

* I'm using 1080p SDR display
** I'm currently only interested in Story mode, not Online mode

Top Bottom