Bring back the old honk method and supplement it with the DDS and probes

For a game built around choice, I am baffled, in hindsight, at the complete removal of the ADS.

I do think the ADS was too "god mode", but I would have happily accepted infinite range with a time-to-return penalty, like a sonar ping. The further away the planet, the longer it takes to resolve on the system map (I'm okay with stars instantly populating the map). Nothing ridiculous, but perhaps 20-30 seconds for those 500,000 LS planets.

Completely removing it, however... Yeah, probably not a good call on Frontier's part.

Yes, choice in how one plays the game, especially a game as open ended is this, is pretty important and can only add to the experience, not detract from it.

I'd also accept a time delay, but somewhat reluctantly... Why? Because I'd use an optional ADS after I'd used the FSS. If the FSS shows an 'interesting' system, I'll use it and scan the system, the ADS is superfluous, but if the FSS shows a system with just gas giants and icy / rocky bodies (as an example), then I'd fire up the ADS to see whether any of those gas giants were glowing green or otherwise interesting. Putting in a random delay before resolving would be about as useful to me as the delay in the FSS resolving POI's is to so many now... ;)

And of course, there's still the possibility, likelihood even, that I'd miss something interesting, which is fine.

I also really, really wish that the FSS didn't automatically scan anything in a system, would much prefer to make the decision about whether to 'leave my mark' to me, and if an optional ADS is reinstated, let's hope it behaves as before and doesn't provide anything but a low level unexplored map of the system. :)

Last edited:
I also really, really wish that the FSS didn't automatically scan anything in a system, would much prefer to make the decision about whether to 'leave my mark' to me.
Yep, this bothers me as well. I do think any star I fuel scoop should count as discovered (scooping a star is about as personal as one can get with a star). There are other areas where I'd like to see the FSS nerfed as well, but I'm guessing none of this is a priority for FDev. We still have actual serious bugs that are months and even years old that continue to go unaddressed, so I'm not holding my breath regarding exploration tools. It's no coincidence that 3.3 didn't get the Focused Feedback section that 3.0-3.2 got (not that FF did any good either).

I also really, really wish that the FSS didn't automatically scan anything in a system, would much prefer to make the decision about whether to 'leave my mark' to me, and if an optional ADS is reinstated, let's hope it behaves as before and doesn't provide anything but a low level unexplored map of the system. :)

Absolutely, my biggest gripe with the FSS is the Auto tag, I have asked in the past for an option on Autoscan/Autotag (like report crimes against me...) just a personal choice, However it received very little attention because someone made a post about guns... well that was that!,
That said, anyone can have whatever they want as far as I'm concerned... just allow me to choose! and that's one big choice for me!

As for the ADS Honk taking a longer time dependant on distance, wonderful idea!

So there you have it.
allow me to chose to fit a Map module and allow me to chose not to Autotag/Autoscan, and I'll spend money on future expansions because I'll enjoy the game again.

Absolutely, my biggest gripe with the FSS is the Auto tag, I have asked in the past for an option on Autoscan/Autotag (like report crimes against me...) just a personal choice, However it received very little attention because someone made a post about guns... well that was that!,
That said, anyone can have whatever they want as far as I'm concerned... just allow me to choose! and that's one big choice for me!

I only thought you get the tag if you sell the data, or am I wrong? In which case, don't sell the data and you won't have to deal with the tag.

I only thought you get the tag if you sell the data, or am I wrong? In which case, don't sell the data and you won't have to deal with the tag.

That's gonna be time-consuming when you have thousands of systems to sell and you want the tags for the bodies you actively explored, but not the ones you didn't. You'd have to write down which systems you wanted and then manually scroll through the list when you come to sell. I think asking for it to be optional is reasonable, in the circumstances.

Exploration no longer exists, just another credit generation method. Non explorers "Exploration isn't worth doing, I can earn more credits doing......" now it's worth doing but no longer exists.

That's gonna be time-consuming when you have thousands of systems to sell and you want the tags for the bodies you actively explored, but not the ones you didn't. You'd have to write down which systems you wanted and then manually scroll through the list when you come to sell. I think asking for it to be optional is reasonable, in the circumstances.

Well absolutely it will be a royal pain, but in the meantime with the FSS as it is now that's the only way to do it in lieu of any other changes that might come along.

So, I'm expected to make a note of everything that I don't want paying for and remember not to sell it in the future?
I'm a Ancient Decorator not a ***kin Accountant.
I'd rather spend my time doing something worthwhile... like playing a game that I can enjoy!

You're not in the ED sales team are you?

So, I'm expected to make a note of everything that I don't want paying for and remember not to sell it in the future?
I'm a Ancient Decorator not a ***kin Accountant.
I'd rather spend my time doing something worthwhile... like playing a game that I can enjoy!

You're not in the ED sales team are you?

What is your point? You emphasized your desire to not tag stuff. At this precise moment the only way to do that is not to sell the data. I acknowledged it would be unpleasant to manage yourself. You can either do that or wait for FD to change the FSS.

What is your point? You emphasized your desire to not tag stuff. At this precise moment the only way to do that is not to sell the data. I acknowledged it would be unpleasant to manage yourself. You can either do that or wait for FD to change the FSS.
My point is the very same as the whole thread, I'm not enjoying the game now, up until the 3.3 drop I had 2000 enjoyable hours, I play my game for enjoyment not for a mental workout, you explaining the obvious to me is a bit of a pointless exercise and a waste of both writing and reading.
The Thread is called 'bring back the old ADS' not 'I can show you a convoluted and or excruciatingly time consuming way round the problem'
That said

When the fun stops Stop, which I did!

I still think it's a symptom of the dumbing down of ED that's been happening over the last couple of years, and the free slots solution was another misstep, but I've found a way to make exploration difficult so I'm balancing it out 😁

The dumbing down of ED pretty much started during the Alpha, when Frontier essentially commented out the Economic Sim, because players didn't want to "haul biowaste so Eranin would make some more tea."

How repetitive this topic is, is one quote from Kaltern from this archived thread above:
And that from 7 month ago.
Note, with a few exceptions, all the same faces again. Please don't be one of those mindless repeaters...
I've been exploring for over seven months??? I feel like I've barely gotten started! 😲

You lost me here, sorry. I don't see what you've made out of my comment or - where is the context?
If that helps, the comment hasn't anything to do with you, rather a comment to Kaltern's post that was 7 month ago (from now) that I linked above. The whole debate is much older, almost from day one of the FSS. That was basically my point, that the whole thing is just a giant repetition in its 4th incarnation (at least) with no end in sight. The OP brought nothing new, rather then waking sleeping dogs.

I've been exploring almost nonstop since day one of the 3.3 beta. Your post made me realize just how long ago that was. :D

The OP brought nothing new, rather then waking sleeping dogs.

The OP added another voice to the chorus of people requesting more options (and they did apologize for opening a new thread rather than adding to an existing one). I know it suits some people to push the narrative that it's only a few dissenting voices repeating themselves, but complaining that other people shouldn't join the discussion just weakens their argument.

Well I think about half the forum labeled me a heretic and was set to run me out of town for suggesting supercruise autopilot. Then again, the 'regulars' tend to change over time, so I haven't seen a number of the "Autopilot will RUIN the game I tell you, RUIN THE GAME!" proponents from that thread. Someday I'm going to dig that thread up and post a final "Haha, I won!" at the end 😈

That's illogical because supercruise autopilot is optional. Live and let live, as adults do.

The fss on the other hand... Like the elf in the witcher 2 well said: "hatred is just a symptom of helplessness". Or something like that.

That was basically my point, that the whole thing is just a giant repetition in its 4th incarnation (at least) with no end in sight. The OP brought nothing new, rather then waking sleeping dogs.

Yes about the fourth. Might have missed one in the exploration forums though. Its tough to continue it given we're blind with an effective zero chance of resolution. Takes a few hundred pages for everyone to see that. Frontier really does not care (lip service or buying a room full of people not us steak for lunch doesn't count).

Last edited:
Guys, guys please just don't ask for a delay if devs get the honk back. Seriously...
If they do anything like that, it will be a delay for like 40 seconds or more. Its frontier we are talking about here so.. please.

My problem isn't with the tag as much as it's with the "free money" for flying through a system I've never been before. I sometimes make more money running missions, not from the mission itself (delivering data or cargo) but because I "discovered" the ELW in the Bubble that the destination station orbits. The RL equivalent is running a shipment in my truck down to a city I've never been to before, bringing back a tourist pamphlet from said city, and being paid more for showing the boss that pamphlet than he paid me for running the shipment! It's utter nonsense, and I hate "nonsense" in immersive games like Elite.

As for not selling the data, well you got your answer from the other posters.

My problem isn't with the tag as much as it's with the "free money" for flying through a system I've never been before. I sometimes make more money running missions, not from the mission itself (delivering data or cargo) but because I "discovered" the ELW in the Bubble that the destination station orbits. The RL equivalent is running a shipment in my truck down to a city I've never been to before, bringing back a tourist pamphlet from said city, and being paid more for showing the boss that pamphlet than he paid me for running the shipment! It's utter nonsense, and I hate "nonsense" in immersive games like Elite.

As for not selling the data, well you got your answer from the other posters.

Yes there are many examples of nutty CR reward imbalance. I wish they would take a more measured and holistic approach to balancing it, rather than just nerfing each get rich quick scheme as it is discovered.

Top Bottom