Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I still think they should honey-pot cheaters. Put them on their own server, no influence on BGS or PP, feels like they're still online, but in reality they're put in their own little cheat-world. Banning them only makes them buy new accounts and do it all over again. Honey-pot will cheat them of their cheaty ways.

Just how corporations report increasingly on the number of vulnerabilities or security incidents found, without necessarily going into details, FD could release monthly or quarterly ban or action numbers, without releasing CMDR names or even what for (or only in broad categories: "botting", "memory hacks", etc.)

I think Perma Banned commader names should be published. The account is nuked, The commander erased so naming and shaming is not a factor.

At least part of defeating this is making it clear that action is being taken and that the use of these cheats could very well make you lose your account. Be upfront about it. Tell the kids, if we're afraid of that. Being 12 is no excuse for using these hacks.

I have to agree. There’s an old saying: “It’s not enough for justice to be done. It must be seen to be done.” Otherwise the deterrent value is lost.

I'm interested in getting more information on the consequences of cheating... Is there a way for me to find out without having to use the cheat and get in trouble swiftly? It feels like the only way I can find out what the consequences are, is to cheat and find out, as I'm sure I will be caught immediately and get punished right away.

Hello everyone,

We take this activity very seriously and, working alongside our development and support teams, are active in taking actions against those who engage with such activities.

We hope you understand that we are not able to share the details of the action actively being taken, or the steps we have in place to tackle the use of these tools, as we do not wish those engaging with this sort of behaviour to circumvent the controls we have in place.

We’ve been reading through all of the feedback you’ve shared. We appreciate your concerns and wanted to take a moment to inform and remind you that the use of cheats, automation software, hacks, mods or any other unauthorized software is strictly prohibited.

Thanks for your understanding.

On penalty of...?

They will have proofs.
Again tired voice
We meet in Open... I modify data related to your ship in my ED client memory, to make your ship invulnerable on my client. Then i do plenty of shots to your ship, record video with zero damage, send video to FDev, and they ban you using this video as a solid proof that you made your ship invulnerable.

REVERSE CHEATING guys, keep this in mind.
This already occurred in past. And FDev stopped proactively fighting cheaters exactly because of this. It's technically impossible for them to differentiate cheater, and reverse-cheated fair player.

Again: statistics. If player X is 'invulnerable' against player Y once, who knows what happened. If player X is consistently invulnerable against players who do not run into other invulnerable players a pattern starts to emerge. That is how 'p2p courtesy' ratings are calculated in tons of other p2p games. You disconnect once during combat? Could be anything. You disconnect tons of times, predominantly during combat? Well, we sympathize with your 'bad luck' but why dont you play in shadow mode until you 'fix your connection'.

So far as im aware Frontier is under no obligation to provide proof to others that people who cheat have been banned.

All you will get from a list is people arguing that such and such should be on it, how the number is bogus or how such and such being on it is wrong.

I never said they are obligated, you asked the use, I gave you the answer.

Isn't it quite simple, Ban them permanently.

Naming them which they'll never do is quite pointless. If your tragic enough to use cheat engines in an mmo then its quite unlikely you'll give a toss if frontier tells the forum that commander traj has been banned for hacking.

Its more about setting an example to others who would be tempted to cheat with hacks. Examples of the past found and removed. Statistics alone are empty.
I personally would be made to feel much happier of i knew the people getting cought and removed are verifiable players.
I'd also be willing to bet that not all users of this tool are fringe members of the ED community.

Last edited:
Isn't it quite simple, Ban them permanently.

Naming them which they'll never do is quite pointless. If your tragic enough to use cheat engines in an mmo then its quite unlikely you'll give a toss if frontier tells the forum that commander traj has been banned for hacking.

I dont care about the names, but something solid wouldn't hurt. I remember with Diablo 2 Blizzard posted that maphack was not allowed, they were monitoring it and would issue bans. A month or two later they said they were really, really monitoring it and people should absolutely definitely stop using it. A few months later thousands of accounts were banned and people started to take Blizzard's word a tad more serious.

I'd also be will to bet that not all users of this tool are fringe members of the ED community.

If only we'd have solid evidence that many prominent players willingly and knowingly cheated, and were punished by FD. Because cheating is wrong.

Am I rite, pvp bois? :p

Short of putting up a persons name, address and bank account details it wont deter people or shame them if thats what you're looking for.

Now Frontier might and could do a Valve and issue stats on how many are banned but thats about all you'll probably ever get from them.

Name, address, bank account details is a strawman. Shaming is a comfortable side effect which applies only where it does, but my possition has already been posted above.. its about providing something more than just empty statistics.

My issue with this is not with adults who knowingly cheat, but kids. Yes, cheating is wrong for everyone. But I think it would be kinda rough if someone from the community would come home and find his entire account wiped and blocked just because Billy the 8 year old wanted to get infinite shields so he could pancake a ship into a planet over and over for a few minutes. Sure, 'parents should be aware of what their kids do', and 'password-protect your apps' and all that, but I dont really have a problem with giving a warning once.

I mean, in the end it is just a game.
If you let your 8 year old onto your PC/account online then this topic is kinda mute to your home issue.

Well I've never cheated in this game myself but I can say comfortably that if I did and my commando name was posted I wouldn't give a toss what anyone thinks of me here or anywhere else on the intertubes.

Just out of interest though what would you do with the information if they were to post commando names?

But i as a paying customer would feel better knowing that you where real and that you have been dealt with rather than just getting blanket replies from Fdev and token Empty Stats.
Ive covered this in previous posts, The names are heads on spikes. examples of a hard line finally being taken by Fdev on the hacking issue.

Last edited:
My comment is more slanted towards the hacking tool side of cheating.

"Don't cheat. Well, that kinda cheating I mean specifically." :p

Seriously though: don't mean this as a jab to you. It is just that while I personally find all cheating sad, the whole Righteous Crusade Against Cheaters by prominent PvP players is kinda comical when you see how selective they mean that.

Just out of interest though what would you do with the information if they were to post commando names?

Rest at ease knowing that reporting players, as FD requests, actually results in something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom