Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
ED does not have an end game mechanism because it does not end! The galaxy in ED is a living thing, your actions affect the way it lives.
Actually, it doesn't.

Your actions have little to no impact on the galaxy. Sure you can swing who controls a system. But what does that change? Nothing!
The economy keeps on going, exactly as it was before. A system remains a democracy, might go into boom, might change its allegiance, but that has ZERO impact on the game itself.
You can kill thargoids as much as you want, a system with Goids will still get their system flipped to "damaged" on Thargoid-Thrusday.
You can sit there and watch a damaged station burn. The population never decreases. You can rescue 150 people, and you have the same amount of people on the station as you did before. Repeat 100 times, and you should have 15000 people less on the station.

An impact would be: You smuggle tons of nerve agents or uranium to a system to supply a group who then nukes a planet. There is impact.
That 700 tons of Titanium that you jetisoned in Supercruise while going at 20 times the speed of light impacted on a planet and had a devastating effect. (hole in planet, planet blew up, giant crater).
Someone crashed into a coriolis station and managed to stop it from spinning.

Your ship has a large mass. More mass means smaller objects gets moved aside. Why can't I move a 200t or 500t rock with my 1600t Anaconda? If my Thrusters are strong enough to move my ship loaded at 1600t, the asteroid should budge, yet it remains where it is, unfazed by a 1600t of a solid mass crashing into it.

If it'd be a living galaxy, you could make an impact. you could take 10 or 100 Anacondas and push Hutton Orbital closer to the Nav Buoy.
Changing who controls the system isn't really an impact.

What I don't get is how something like this could have FDev stymied for 6 months.

Do they not have standard variable checks in their code? Simply run an occasional analysis of whether actual values (max shield strength for instance) are possible given a ship's frame and load out. If not, then there's either been a coding error elsewhere on FDevs part, or a hacktool is being used.
They aren't stymied. It's not on the front burner for them because it doesn't affect their bottom line. If this was a new release and there were cheaters threatening to destroy the CGs, they'd do something faster. Right now it's just a bunch of players goofing off and collecting salt from salt collectors.

Cheating has always existed in this game. It only begins to matter when select groups are affected.

Actually, it doesn't.

Your actions have little to no impact on the galaxy. Sure you can swing who controls a system. But what does that change? Nothing!
The economy keeps on going, exactly as it was before. A system remains a democracy, might go into boom, might change its allegiance, but that has ZERO impact on the game itself.
You can kill thargoids as much as you want, a system with Goids will still get their system flipped to "damaged" on Thargoid-Thrusday.
You can sit there and watch a damaged station burn. The population never decreases. You can rescue 150 people, and you have the same amount of people on the station as you did before. Repeat 100 times, and you should have 15000 people less on the station.

An impact would be: You smuggle tons of nerve agents or uranium to a system to supply a group who then nukes a planet. There is impact.
That 700 tons of Titanium that you jetisoned in Supercruise while going at 20 times the speed of light impacted on a planet and had a devastating effect. (hole in planet, planet blew up, giant crater).

Your ship has a large mass. More mass means smaller objects gets moved aside. Why can't I move a 200t or 500t rock with my 1600t Anaconda? If my Thrusters are strong enough to move my ship loaded at 1600t, the asteroid should budge, yet it remains where it is, unfazed by a 1600t of a solid mass crashing into it.

If it'd be a living galaxy, you could make an impact. you could take 10 or 100 Anacondas and push Hutton Orbital closer to the Nav Buoy.
The game changes so much that it's almost more like parallel universes than a living galaxy. One day you can collect materials from Belugas pretty easily. The next the Belugas have prox mines and jump away as soon as you open fire. One day you can haul passenger for 40m a trip. The next you cannot get 2 mil. One day your A rated ship that you spent a year trying to achieve is made obsolete by the next level of grind power creep, which is made almost obsolete by yet another. One day you find a great slave trade route. The next day the magical hand of god kills that for you.

The game changes exponentially more due to hand of god things than BGS things. I can cross the galaxy and nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing that you have ever done will be apparent to me. The only things that are apparent are things the hand of god has done. You cannot so much as leave a footprint on a planet surface, for as soon as you leave that instance you didn't exist.

Fair points, I agree with you on these.

You sound like you're obsessed with "physical" impact.
And how would the consequences be between sessions? Someone blew up a planet in Open, would I not be able to find that planet in Solo? Me and my 10 friends in a private session pushed Abraham Lincoln Station in Sol further beyond Pluto, would that trolling be noticed by anyone in Open?

All your examples would mess up the game to some extent. Any examples on positive impact?

All the "you cheat too" accusations flying around are pointless. Some of the people here being accused of this or that are some of the best content providers, and they often live stream their game so if they do something that's questionable then everyone questions it. They might accuse someone of cheating, as an outburst perhaps in a stream but many here, like myself, only play in Solo or private groups, so no one can see our questionable acts.

There's no reason for people to attack each other here. I doubt the cheaters are posting here. Attacking each other means basically the terrorists have already won.
Cheating is a cancer because it erodes trust, that's the biggest problem. It is not a big problem if a cheater kills me from time to time (until it becomes really rampant), but it's a big problem if I yell: "CHEATER" every time someone kills me.

When a company doesn't do enough to protect both its business and me as a player, then the trust is lost as well and I start getting a feeling that I am not being treated as a respected customer, but as someone who's only good enough to be milked for money.

When a company doesn't stop cheats after 6 months and when it doesn't say anything even when it (shadow) bans cheater, then people start thinking that cheating in their games is not a problem and they'll start doing it more and more.

Since both us players and FD are on the same side because we all love this game (both for us and for DB this game is the game of the lifetime), it would be awesome if:
  • FD would start better protecting their business by being more diligent in implementing anti-cheat measures.
  • FD would have a permanent communication and active communication with players that discover bugs. Many of us are developers and I'm sure it would be both fun for us to discover security holes and profitable for FD's business to increase security of their product.
  • FD would show us that they are doing their best to protect both their business and us as players by either periodically stating (no, 6 months isn't good enough) how many players have they banned and in which way, or by showing everyone in real time in their clients who has been banned and why.
Cheating has become a big problem in the gaming industry, and many other companies are using everything available to them to the maximum possible extent in order to give their players safe games, free of cheaters. Even legislators are slowly starting to recognise how big the problem is. In South Korea creating cheats and hacks for games is a criminal offence.

They aren't stymied. It's not on the front burner for them because it doesn't affect their bottom line. If this was a new release and there were cheaters threatening to destroy the CGs, they'd do something faster. Right now it's just a bunch of players goofing off and collecting salt from salt collectors.

Cheating has always existed in this game. It only begins to matter when select groups are affected.
It affects everyone in this game. But select groups try to shut their eyes to this out of convenience and to nurse a grudge.

Engineering is optional, you want better than intended (see Valorin's quote above)

Travel is a crucial and fundamental element in this game, and going all the way to Colonia is a choice.

Guardian stuff is totally optional, you want better than intended (see Valorin's quote above)

I agree with you on ED being repetitive at times, but what makes you feel numb is your own choices in game.
ED does not have an end game mechanism because it does not end! The galaxy in ED is a living thing, your actions affect the way it lives.

The game does not target a constantly challenging storymode or anything.
I'll follow your line of logic: any ship after the Sidewinder is optional. Playing this game is optional.

Actually, it doesn't.

Wiser words were never spoken. The “impact” you have on the Galaxy amounts to numbers and text on a screen changing to other numbers and text on a screen.

[...] Grind is anything that is just mind numbing and repetitive. [...]
That definition is subjective though. As an example, repeated jump-honk-scoop with only the occasional buzz of discovering something interesting is precisely why I have an account dedicated to long-range exploration. When I get to the end of the day and I don't have the time or inclination for mission running or combat, it lets me zone out for half an hour or so. It's almost hypnotic. If there's such a thing as the "opposite of grind", at least in terms of how it makes me feel when I'm doing it, it's probably this.

Some of the other loops I'd be more likely label as "grindy" depending on what things I'm trying to achieve at the time and how quickly I'd like to achieve them. But again it's subjective; there may be people out there who feel the same way about collecting Engineer materials as I do about jump-honk-scoop. Each to their own. It's in the nature of the size and scope of all the Elite games that slow, repetitive and uneventful is often the default position. That's just probability. The other stuff must be sought out.

But regardless of the size or position of the window between fun and grind, I could never see it as a justification for cheating in an environment that has an effect on other players. And unfortunately ED will always be such an environment unless FD release the server code at the game's end of life. I'm not convinced they ever will, but if they do I'll be all over those hacks then.

Well, a man has said *There is no problem people are doing mistakes, the problem is that people are not learning from their mistakes * FD doesn't understand how the MMO games are working for almost 5 years. No, I don't want to play a MMO game in which a cheater can advance faster than me; I don't want to play a MMO game in which a cheater can kill me because he is using certain software. I've been a loyal customer of FD for 5 years, but FD prefer to keep the cheater and lose me. It's their right to do that, but it's my right to stop being a loyal customer of FD.

Cheats affect everyone. I stopped playing online MP FPS years ago, because its rife. Once a game becomes a haven for hackers, I quit. There is no point playing a game when hackers and cheats permeat every aspect of the game. I honestly never expected it in ED. Sure bugs and glitching goes on, but thats not the same to me. Thats oppurtunism and something thats part of the environment of the game. Like finding a tenner in the street. Hacking is like pick pocketing the tenner or stealing it.

I'm on my summer hiatus from the game atm and shall watch this carefully. Should it still be a thing come autumn/winter, then I shall seriously give thought to leaving permanently. I cant be seen to support a game that allows hacks and cheats or one that does little to prevent it. I hope FDev nip this in the bud as it will be the death of ED imho. If it goes unchecked.

This is a PC-only problem, yes? I'm assuming all data going back and forth over the network is encrypted, so the game itself needs to be modified (vs. data packets) in order to cheat.

See, I keep telling folks that ED should have been a Playstation exclusive 😜
oh god no..elite just on a playstation would = suicide for me.. PC and O-Rift = bliss

Deleted member 182079

D
Just searched on YT for exposed cheaters, and came across a particular video making it clear as day the other guy is taking the mick completely. Invincible shields, perma-silent running, the works.

Worst of all, towards the end of the video the culprit sends messages about how he keeps getting reported with no issues being found. Watching this has been quite depressing. Will definitely keep an eye out for the Cmdr in question and block him on sight. What scummy behaviour.

What annoys me the most is the accessibility issue.
For a company that's so invested in enabling the less able to game, yet ignore a large percentage of colour blind games is a dereliction of duty and quite possibly criminal.
Enabling adaptation of the HUD is essentail for those with a colour blind disability.

Hello everyone,

We take this activity very seriously and, working alongside our development and support teams, are active in taking actions against those who engage with such activities.

We hope you understand that we are not able to share the details of the action actively being taken, or the steps we have in place to tackle the use of these tools, as we do not wish those engaging with this sort of behaviour to circumvent the controls we have in place.

We’ve been reading through all of the feedback you’ve shared. We appreciate your concerns and wanted to take a moment to inform and remind you that the use of cheats, automation software, hacks, mods or any other unauthorized software is strictly prohibited.

Thanks for your understanding.
Ok let's say we believe this answer, even if there's a lot of evidence especially about how automation is currently a great problem in this game. What is missing is clearly transparency about how the team takes action against cheaters, what they actually risk, if a permaban, or a Open ban, or a BGS/Powerplay ban. We do not know anything about any countermeasuers you actively engage with, so the only natural conclusion for us, your customers, is to see how botting and cheating is still a thing and presume that the team is not doing enough because of that.

So it would be better for us to know at least how many accounts have been banned, permanently or not, as you did for example when you punished people that exploited the infinite engineering rolls bug.

Or if you have some way to actively watch for this or we have to report any suspicious activity, because if this is the case I will be much pleased to flood the anti-cheat team with reports.

The "corporate answer" you guys always give to us about this matter is not good communication at all. It's not the first time you act like that and honestly this is extremly disrespectful towards your customers who play this game fair and square.

Do you know what the likelihood of being murdered is?
Do you know how likely it is that a murderer will be apprehended?
Do you know what process is involved in prosecuting a murderer?
Do you know what happens to convicted murderers?
Do you feel relatively safe living in a society with the current murder rate?

All this information, and more, IS available to you so that you can assess how well the police and justice system deal with murderers and then form an opinion about whether or not you're happy about the risks associated with murder in your society.

You see the analogy, right?
Odd that murderers are named and shamed and openly punished. But video game cheaters are protected with "no name and shame" rules for some reason. :p

FDev, if you're reading this, there are two actions you need to take here:

1. Permaban cheaters using hack tools. No warnings, no second chances, no appeals. Once a hacker is verified, scorch earth their account.

2. Find the hacker(s) who put together this hacktool and BUY THEIR WORK. Give them a bounty for finding a loophole, in exchange for their help plugging that loophole. Many software companies offer bounties to coders who can find security issues with their software.
I'd go further and say hire the hackers who designed the cheat. They figured out how to do a multi-color HUD. For years we've been asking for a multi-color HUD only to be told "Can't be done" turns out it can.

Again a credibility issue on Fdev's part. Kinda like Raxxla is in the game "somewhere"

What es me off more than the cheaters is the deafening sound of silence of Fdev's part.

Poon

I'd go further and say hire the hackers who designed the cheat. They figured out how to do a multi-color HUD. For years we've been asking for a multi-color HUD only to be told "Can't be done" turns out it can.
Hacking a company only for them to track you down and hire you for a special job is cyberpunk as hell.

L-l-l-look at you, hacker...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom