How to avoid Gankers.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
soulless and dead
Since April 2006.
I hit Elite maybe two weeks ago after stacking Ram Tah missions. From Pathfinder to Elite in one drop. Rather anticlimactic. I spent most of my time bountyhunting so I always thought I'd have combat Elite first. Since then I havent logged in. Time and stuff.

Never had the occasion to properly play the BGS neither. I came to the game after the Thargoids, assuming they'll keep on giving that kind of treasure hunt gameplay. Since then it's been reset and broken so I didnt found any motivation to start playing that.

I'm here to practice engrish and find meaningful gameplay. Unlocked every bubble engineers. Will grind for guardian modules next, already got a SLF plan but didnt had enough delta pattern at that time. Was on the Gnosis a bit. Went to SanTu. All in open, FAOff.

I wont go to Colonnia to fight for a small faction there. I think this part of the game was botched and could have been better implemented, like a soft reset zone with something like a permit lock against engineered large ship. Or the ship you use to go there crash and you spawn at the station but there's no insurance service. That's appealing, but I'll rather save wipe.
Or just play something else, with that attitude :)

I hit Elite maybe two weeks ago after stacking Ram Tah missions. From Pathfinder to Elite in one drop. Rather anticlimactic. I spent most of my time bountyhunting so I always thought I'd have combat Elite first. Since then I havent logged in. Time and stuff.

Never had the occasion to properly play the BGS neither. I came to the game after the Thargoids, assuming they'll keep on giving that kind of treasure hunt gameplay. Since then it's been reset and broken so I didnt found any motivation to start playing that.

I'm here to practice engrish and find meaningful gameplay. Unlocked every bubble engineers. Will grind for guardian modules next, already got a SLF plan but didnt had enough delta pattern at that time. Was on the Gnosis a bit. Went to SanTu. All in open, FAOff.

I wont go to Colonnia to fight for a small faction there. I think this part of the game was botched and could have been better implemented, like a soft reset zone with something like a permit lock against engineered large ship. Or the ship you use to go there crash and you spawn at the station but there's no insurance service. That's appealing, but I'll rather save wipe.

Sounds like there's really nothing here that's interests you. Fair enough.

I can't believe the lengths to which people will go instead just acquiring the marginally decent piloting and build skills required to not die, ever.
I know that's not a serious statement, but I've been equally surprised by how stubborn I can be when a detour will be way faster, but less simple. I'm pretty sure it's the same principle.

I know that's not a serious statement, but I've been equally surprised by how stubborn I can be when a detour will be way faster, but less simple. I'm pretty sure it's the same principle.

I was actually completely serious. People compiling name lists, hours and hours blah blah'ing on the forums about needing to muzzle PvP, etc.

Just get your stuff up to G3 or better, watch for hollows, carry some chaff and flares and a non garbage shield and hull and remember your high wake mapping. It's so much simpler and quicker and also makes you better at all other aspects of the game too.

[N.B. This all assumes horizons. If one cannot engineers then there is simply no way to reliably avoid getting ganked it's just a sad fact]

I was actually completely serious. People compiling name lists, hours and hours blah blah'ing on the forums about needing to muzzle PvP, etc.

Just get your stuff up to G3 or better, watch for hollows, carry some chaff and flares and a non garbage shield and hull and remember your high wake mapping. It's so much simpler and quicker and also makes you better at all other aspects of the game too.

[N.B. This all assumes horizons. If one cannot engineers then there is simply no way to reliably avoid getting ganked it's just a sad fact]
Oh, no, I know you meant it, but obviously it happens, so you can believe it. Sorry for fussing over semantics.

Careful Wargfoot, some of these rats are dangerous!

hqdefault.jpg
So true:

If you want to block people, it's your prerogative. It's not like some griefers aren't exploiting game mechanics for their own lulz, like sitting in front of a station in an anarchy system and shooting at ships arrive hoping they shoot back and hit the station, or ramming in hull buffed black cutters near dark outposts where they cannot even land, or pad blocking or a number of other things griefers do to get lulz. Just ask yourself though what you're hoping to achieve by going into Open, since you're intentionally avoiding contact with anyone but those with the same interests as you. Why not do that in a private group? That blocks everyone else.

If you want to block people, it's your prerogative. It's not like some griefers aren't exploiting game mechanics for their own lulz, like sitting in front of a station in an anarchy system and shooting at ships arrive hoping they shoot back and hit the station, or ramming in hull buffed black cutters near dark outposts where they cannot even land, or pad blocking or a number of other things griefers do to get lulz. Just ask yourself though what you're hoping to achieve by going into Open, since you're intentionally avoiding contact with anyone but those with the same interests as you. Why not do that in a private group? That blocks everyone else.
Two of the examples you posted aren't exploits, on the contrary, people who die more than once to one of those stunts should git gud, seriously.
1) anarchy starport shooting - solution: fit proper shields, cling to the hull of the starport, don't speed, don't shoot back.
2) ramming in black cutters - solution: watch your surroundings, don't let yourself get rammed by a cutter (rammed by a cutter of all things, really??)

I'll agree with you that pad blocking is a problem at the moment, both by blocking the pad, by hogging the pad and by NPCs.
Still it can be easily avoided because your docking timer is usually longer lasting then the docking or undocking timer of anyone "luring" you into this trap.
Also, reentering supercruise is a thing, as is instance-changing (which I do when I have a NPC block my pad - by switching to solo)

Because griefers are an incredibly small minority in Open, so blocking them grants one access to more civil social interactions with the larger community, without having to compromise ship builds or enjoyable flying styles.

Because griefers are an incredibly small minority in Open, so blocking them grants one access to more civil social interactions with the larger community, without having to compromise ship builds or enjoyable flying styles.
Yes, but PvPers aka "gankers" and griefers aren't necessarily the same things. So anyone who is playing a role of suppression only has Open in which to do that, whereas the PvE player has 3 modes.

Two of the examples you posted aren't exploits, on the contrary, people who die more than once to one of those stunts should git gud, seriously.
1) anarchy starport shooting - solution: fit proper shields, cling to the hull of the starport, don't speed, don't shoot back.
2) ramming in black cutters - solution: watch your surroundings, don't let yourself get rammed by a cutter (rammed by a cutter of all things, really??)
I used the term as a verb, not a noun.

Exploit

make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).

Sorry to drop a definition on you, but I wasn't saying they were using an exploit. I said they were taking advantage of a game mechanic. In this case it's the ability to bury themselves in the station structure and shoot at ships entering the mail slot, hoping you shoot back and hit the station. It's not against EULA, but it doesn't feel like real gameplay, more like some fortnite level lulz attempts.

Same with ramming. Easily avoidable, but if you don't want to be in an instance with this kind of annoyance (since it serves no gameplay purpose), you can either block them or go to a different mode. For some players, the difference between legit CG suppression level game play vs griefing for lulz is indistinguishable.
I'll agree with you that pad blocking is a problem at the moment, both by blocking the pad, by hogging the pad and by NPCs.
Still it can be easily avoided because your docking timer is usually longer lasting then the docking or undocking timer of anyone "luring" you into this trap.
Also, reentering supercruise is a thing, as is instance-changing (which I do when I have a NPC block my pad - by switching to solo)
Sure, a lot can be easily avoidable. Why should anyone go the extra mile to do so just to provide PvP players with content? That's the point. PvP players should focus some effort on griefers who drive players out of Open which actually thwarts real PvP ability to suppress a CG, since it will be done in Solo or PG. Instead though, there's this really grey area between PvP role playing and flat out griefing, with some folks appearing to cross back and forth between the two - any excuse to salt collect since perhaps the game play is boring to them otherwise.

I don't understand why "git gud" continues to be offered as a rebuttal to these things unless people are simply ignoring the history of this game and how it hasn't actually motivated people to spend more time preparing for contact with the other gameplay styles.

Sure, a lot can be easily avoidable. Why should anyone go the extra mile to do so just to provide PvP players with content? That's the point. PvP players should focus some effort on griefers who drive players out of Open which actually thwarts real PvP ability to suppress a CG, since it will be done in Solo or PG. Instead though, there's this really grey area between PvP role playing and flat out griefing, with some folks appearing to cross back and forth between the two - any excuse to salt collect since perhaps the game play is boring to them otherwise.

I don't understand why "git gud" continues to be offered as a rebuttal to these things unless people are simply ignoring the history of this game and how it hasn't actually motivated people to spend more time preparing for contact with the other gameplay styles.

When (PVP) players are not provided with content, they'll just make their own. And remember, in open, we are each others' content.

It's true that PVPers have this playground called open, but is there something that can only be affected from open? No. That means any PVP actions are meaningless, and will stay that way until FDev provide content.

For some players, the difference between legit CG suppression level game play vs griefing for lulz is indistinguishable.

For some players, there's no such thing as legit emergent gameplay. Once they view someone as griefers, anything they do will be tagged griefing.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom